Easy Homemade Flavored Butters

By on January 14, 2007

Enhance your meals by making and serving compound butters. It’s an unexpected addition to offer at mealtime, and makes a wonderful gift to give too. It’s quick to prepare with what you already have on hand, in the kitchen, such as fruit, cheese, herbs, spices, and vegetables.

Tasty served on the following:

breads
biscuits
hot cereal
waffles
pancakes
meats
cornbread
fish
rice
potatoes
poultry
various vegetables

You don’t need any special tools because you can mix it up with wooden spoon, but you might want to use a food processor, blender or mixer.

The completed butter mix can be refrigerated or frozen into small molds, plastic wrap (roll butter into logs), and various containers, such as a saved plastic margarine tub or a crock. You can serve it as a spread, slice it, pop it out of molds, or even pipe it.

The following are suggestions of ingredients to add to your butter:

Cinnamon, honey, vanilla
Thyme, chives, rosemary, sage
Lemon juice and parsley
Shallots and thyme
Honey and orange juice
Unsweetened chocolate, vanilla, powdered sugar
Peanut butter, melted semisweet chocolate chips, powdered sugar, vanilla, and coffee granules
Chopped hazlenut and honey
Strawberries and powdered sugar
Peach, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, apple pie spice
Rosemary, chives, lemon
Grated cheese and bacon bits

Be creative and combine ingredients you enjoy. Many of these ingredients can be used with cream cheese too.

1. Michelle S.

1/16/2007 at 5:11 pm

I’ve never even thought to make flavored butters. I’m going to start experimenting now though. I will try one tonight when we have french toast for dinner.

2. mom23boys

2/18/2007 at 6:09 pm

I love the butter at Texas Roadhouse. It has a cinnamon flavor. I often wondered how easy it would to be make and store.

2/19/2007 at 12:42 am

I never even thought to add flavors to butter. What a great idea. I like the idea for herb butter, I think it would be really good on baked potatoes.

4. Maggi

2/19/2007 at 12:00 pm

The only butter I attempted was garlic and chives. I never thought about the above flavors.
    I agree with you mom23boys. That cinnamon butter is so delicious. Country crock sales the small container here for $.99. Its close to the Texas roadhouse one but not the same.

5. Mary

2/19/2007 at 12:41 pm

I love to make cinnamon butter for my kids and around Thanksgiving I make pumpkin butter!

2/20/2007 at 10:02 pm

Now this sounds like a wonderful idea. I would never have thought about this. I have had apple butter, that is like a jelly. It is delicious. But that is different from what you are discussing.

7. Kim

2/23/2007 at 8:49 am

A local restaurant serves wonderful hot homemade yeast rolls with cinnamon honey butter. It’s my favorite part of the meal. I guess I thought it was harder than it actually is to make the stuff.

8. Deb

8/11/2009 at 3:27 pm

I’m new to the world of cooking … trying new recipes and ideas, and I’m enjoying it! This flavored butter sounds like a winner so I have to try it. It sounds easy enough … but does anyone have a “set” recipe they could share (i.e., 1 c butter, 3 TBSP of whatever flavoring, etc)? Butter’s expensive these days … can I use margarine? All ideas will be appreciated. Deb:)

9. Deb

8/11/2009 at 3:35 pm

8/11/2009 at 3:38 pm

11. Deb

8/11/2009 at 3:41 pm

How do I “moderate” my comment? (Not only am I not so good at cooking, but I’m also not so good at computering … :(

8/11/2009 at 3:44 pm

I moderate comments. :) It just means they are held back and not instantly posted until I approve them first. I only have it that way as an extra way to deter spammers.

13. Deb

8/11/2009 at 3:58 pm

Oh, OK … thank you Sara (now I feel like a real dummy.) If you feel my comment is not worth posting, that’s OK, I’ll understand. I got this website from an article in our local paper and I’m lovin’ it. Thank you again. Deb

8/11/2009 at 4:20 pm

Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate it. Not sure how often your local paper runs my column, but I archive most of them here. :) And don’t feel silly at all. I’m happy to answer anything I can. :)