Project Thrift: Coffee Table

By on January 21, 2007

Before I share my thrift store table that I’m faux painting, I wanted to show you my vase and tumbler I picked up yesterday at the thrift store.

The vase will go on my kitchen window sill with my miniature colored bottles that I use as vases.

I also purchased a set of white glass footed tumblers, but not to use as drinking glasses. I needed something unique to hold toothbrushes in our bathrooms. :) Please please no comments on the toothbrushes. Have mercy!

Some of you might remember this repurposed flower pot. It’s also in my bathroom. While I was grabbing the tumbler, I thought why not share this too. ;)

Lastly, here’s my latest project. It’s the “before” picture of my ever so beauteous (HA!) thrift store coffee table. I picked it up a few months ago. It will be used in my family/game room. Errr, if I don’t totally make it look worse. Is that even possible? lol

What I liked about this table was the size, price, and detailing. It’s so not me, but it spoke to me and I think I can do something fabu. I’ll update when I’m done. I sanded it today.

Have you refurbished, repurposed, or reused something in your home decor lately?

1. PrairieRose

1/21/2007 at 10:24 pm

Cool vase and those milk glass tumblers are great! I’ll bet you can work magic on that coffee table. Looks like a fun project to me. Have fun sanding…lol.

1/21/2007 at 10:30 pm

Still looking for something for our swap. lol
    No used underwear right?

3. AheeK

2/17/2007 at 11:35 pm

Great stuff! I loooove the coffee table…I wish I had one like it. Nice vase, too. You’re really creative in assigning new roles to ordinary things.

4. Bumplett

2/18/2007 at 12:51 am

I’d love to see a pic of the finished coffee table – dang, that thing is HUGE!

I’m waiting on the delivery of a dining room table (made a trade w/ a friend) – it doesn’t come with chairs, so I’ll have to refinish each thing seperately.
    that’s the only thing on my project list.

2/18/2007 at 5:25 am

I like your finds, very creative. I use decorative baskets to hold towels and toiletries. I found a free coffee table a couple of years ago and my fiance and I sanded it with a hand held sander and then we stained it with a light stain. It now matches perfectly with our tv stand. It’s my project that I am most proud of.

6. Barb

2/18/2007 at 1:34 pm

Wonderful vase? How is the table coming along????
    I once took an old wood kitchen chair and refinished it with several colors of paint for my daughters college dorm. It was kind of neat!

7. mom23boys

2/18/2007 at 10:28 pm

I can’t wait to see the finished coffee table. Are you going to create a game table out of it? You have come up with some very clever uses for your flower pots and tumblers.

8. Maggi

2/19/2007 at 11:47 am

I love the vase. The coffee table is like the one I had when my kids were about 5 and 1. I’ve never done a faux finish. I have taken a foot locker and redid it. I sanded the metal then primered it and then painted and put designs on it. I redid a chair also. I wish I knew how to use the digital camera. My son always has to dowload it for me. I have to show you the cabinet. I was really proud of myself. I would love to be able to paint my bedroom in the marble effect that I have seen. But I don’t know how to do it.

9. AprilP

2/19/2007 at 12:16 pm

Ooh. That milk glass vase/tumbler is lovely. Reminds me of my childhood. My grandmother’s house was FILLED with milk glass. I would sit on the floor in front of the china cabinet and stare at it and wonder how they made it so white, yet still see through. Alas, it all perished in a fire back in the 80′s. I’ve been seriously thinking of starting my own collection, but I just don’t know where I’d put it.

2/19/2007 at 11:40 pm

My Grandmother had milk glass. I am now wondering where it got off to. Hmmm. Love the flower pot with the washcloths. Very cute.

11. crazymomto1 (Julie)

2/20/2007 at 8:23 pm

Wow! Pretty! I haven’t done anything different lately. I am planning on redecorating soon though and I want to find some cheap older stuff to re-do. :o )

12. Michelle S.

3/11/2007 at 6:14 pm

I love milk glass, and I like how you used it in your bathroom too. I am curious if you’re done with that table yet?? ;)

13. Cass

5/9/2007 at 12:18 am

my boyfriend has a coffee table like that…only peice of furniture in his “front room” his new place has a few more rooms than his old one so it looks VERY emtpy

14. Kim

12/6/2007 at 7:14 pm

That’s almost like the coffee table I have except mine has a black top not sure what its made out of it just weighs a ton.
    I scored mine at an auction for $5. It came with an end table but I didn’t have any way of getting it home due to space in the car.

12/6/2007 at 7:30 pm

Kim,
    Mine has a black top too. ;)

16. tiffany

7/9/2008 at 1:07 pm

I would love to know what you would be willing to sell that vase for. The large floor vase. I have been looking for a large floor vase that I can set my glass table top on and have had no luck. Please consider selling it to me. My email address is listed above.
    Thanks Tiffany

7/9/2008 at 1:32 pm

It’s not a floor vase. It’s a small flower pot. But the larger Chinese “fishbowl” vases can often be found at Pier 1 and on eBay. I used to have one on a pedestal, but it could be used as a base for a table if you removed the pedestal.

Is that the one you meant?