Recent Thrift Store Journey

By on February 27, 2007

Over the weekend, I was getting twitchy from not thriftin’. (read: different than the twitchy from change jinglers) It’s my “me time” and I’ve found that when I don’t carve out that time for myself, the upcoming week can be almost unbearable. Not for me, but for those around me. lol

I decided to broaden my horizons and check out the thrift stores in a neighboring city. It’s about a twenty-five minute drive, instead of a three minute drive, but I’m so glad I went.

So, off I drove to the next closest thrift stores. I hit SA and Goodwill. Both were great. I was pleasantly surprised. The SA was awesome. The prices weren’t inflated like my local SA. The store was neat and orderly too. I did see something quite funny. (funny to me anyway) On the wall, behind the checkout counter was a huge sign. It had about 15 names on it and the title was “People that wrote bad checks”. WOW. I didn’t know anyone still did that. (wrote signs not wrote bad checks)

I walked out with my “goods”. I found a pretty crystal vase, collectible spice rack, glass serving dish, and a large bubble bowl. I saw quite a few items that I resisted because I just didn’t see a real need to purchase them. (ie. lucite purse, additional serving dishes, and vintage cannister set) I even had a fleeting thought on marginal utility and total utility that stopped me from purchasing more serving dishes. lol Man. Why can’t I just be “normal”?

Next stop was Goodwill. It was also clean and orderly, but I didn’t purchase anything. The store didn’t have as much inventory as the SA, prices were slightly higher, and it didn’t have anything that I was interested in. A couple of items caught my eye as a great buy for someone, but I didn’t want them or need them. (brand new in the box smore maker kit, remington typewriter, luggage, and glass birds for holiday decor)

I see a lot of items that would be great to resell on ebay. I’m not into ebay anymore like I used to be, but it’s definitely something to consider.

I am on the lookout for luggage. Not to use as luggage, but to store items in my downstairs linen closet. I’m looking to collect some retro Samsonite pieces. Specifically, mod round cases (hat boxes) and train cases. I saw a set on ebay and should have bid. *sigh* Snooze I lose. Let me know if you come across any in your travels. I’m interested in pink, but am open to other colors too.

I’ll be sharing something bright and cheery with my “new to me” bubble bowl in the next few days, so I’m not posting a pic of that yet.

For those that are wondering what is going on with my table, wellllll this is so not like me, but it’s still sitting downstairs and only sanded. If I told you everything that has been going on over here in the last two weeks, you wouldn’t believe me. :(

Here’s the pics:

2/27/2007 at 8:49 pm

I really like the spice rack you found. Good for you. We have some stores here where I live that hang up the checks that people wrote that bounced in full view. I always have to look to see if I know any of them.

2. AheeK

2/27/2007 at 10:10 pm

Wow, those purchases are beautiful. I love the spice rack. My mom collects tins and that looks like something she would have bought. Do you plan on going back to that other city for future thrifting?

3. jennifer

2/28/2007 at 9:09 am

You got some great finds there!! I am soooo jealous. I love the spice rack. I have the big cannisters that would match them.

4. pepper1

2/28/2007 at 11:15 am

I also really like the spice rack I actuallt have a serving dish like the one you bought.

5. Laurie in Bradenton

2/28/2007 at 1:21 pm

Keep a watch for the innerards to a glass pyrex coffee pot and I’ll send you the shell. Noticed on the coffee addicts thread you’d like to have one. I’ve got the outside if you can find the inside.

Laurie in Bradenton

6. baxjul

2/28/2007 at 6:48 pm

Great job! I think this weekend I’ll hit my thrift stores, haven’t been there in a while! Thanks for the idea!

7. Jennelle

3/2/2007 at 12:06 am

I so wish that I was close enough to a thrift store that I could go to them.

Unfortunately the closest one to where I’m at is atleast 20-25 miles and with no vehicle, I haven’t been to one in ages.

Those were great finds and I love the crystal vase you found … pretty!

Love,

Jennelle

8. Thrift Shop Romantic

6/14/2007 at 3:31 pm

I totally appreciate your getting twitchy to go thrifting. There’s just something about heading out and not having any idea what goodies you’ll stumble on that’s exciting.

It’s always so much fun to see what other folks find!

–Jenn

10/13/2007 at 12:45 pm

I too enjoy the thrift stores. I usually have to stop once a week and see what they have for furniture or any current item on my “wish list.”

10. PrairieRose

3/29/2008 at 3:49 pm

Ooohhh great finds there Sara. I’ve been doing just a little thriftin’ here and there but am thinking of making a run into the city with just this in mind in the next week or so. Sounds kinda silly to spend $15 in gas to go thriftin but die hard thrifters like yourself will understand :D