Leftover Apples Cake

By on March 5, 2007

This isn’t an apple spice cake. This is a regular cake with apples and a caramel glaze.

* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups white sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 3 eggs, beaten
* 3 1/2 cups chopped apples
* 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Glaze:

* 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
* 1/3 cup milk
* 1/2 cup butter

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F Grease and flour a 9×13 inch pan.

2. In a large bowl, Sift together flour, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix well (batter will be thick). Fold in chopped apples and nuts if you want nuts. Spread into a 9×13 inch pan.

3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Glaze while still hot.

4. To make the glaze: In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, milk and butter. Bring to a boil and stir constantly for two minutes. Pour over cake while still hot.

The batter is very very thick, but the cake is dense and moist. I poked small holes into my cake and poured the glaze over the top, so it seeped into the holes.

It’s delicious. It’s a lot of oil, but I’m sure you could use applesauce in it’s place or half oil/half apple sauce. Superlicious with ice cream and served warm.

Don’t let your family know that you’re using leftover apples or they might stop eating apples, so they can have this cake. Ask me how I know.

1. Maggi

3/5/2007 at 5:05 pm

I saw the picture and my mouth started to water. I have been on a diet and except for the birthday cake dh bought for me sunday, I have been real good. lol

In the picture you can tell that the cake is moist, I can’t wait to make it.

I just copied and pasted it to my recipes folder. This will be good for anytime. Especially to take for a church supper.

Thank you for the post.

2. Michelle S.

3/5/2007 at 5:16 pm

Ohhh this sounds delicious. I’m going to try using applesauce for most of the oil. Stupid diet LOL

3/5/2007 at 8:08 pm

Now how bad is that? Showing us that delicious looking cake and making us want some. Shame on you. I love caramel, it is my favorite topping. Looks like it would be VERY tasty! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

4. Stella

3/5/2007 at 11:24 pm

MMMMMMM….I have some apples that I need to use up and this might be just the thing for them! Anything that has a carmel glaze is worthy of tasting!

5. baxjul

3/6/2007 at 6:18 am

That cake looks delicious! I don’t bake, but I may have to make this one!

6. Michelle-Lea

3/6/2007 at 10:28 am

That sounds absolutely heavenly! I’ll be trying this. :)

7. Autumn

3/6/2007 at 4:30 pm

This looks SO good! I just downloaded some software to keep up with my recipes and it has a place for pictures. I love seeing a picture with a recipe! Can’t wait to try this :D

8. AheeK

3/6/2007 at 8:18 pm

Wow, that cake looks fantastic! Apple cake is one of my favorites. Thanks for the recipe!

9. Darlene

3/7/2007 at 1:06 pm

That looks soooo good! Glistening goodness, lol.
    I’m going to add this to my list of things to make next time I have a dinner party here.
    Hey, don’t the apples cancel out the fattening properties of that oil?;)

10. mrsvargas

3/9/2007 at 3:51 pm

Yummy!! The combo of apple and carmel wins thumbs up all around in this house!!

3/24/2007 at 2:17 am

That cake looks so good. I can’t wait to try it :) .

12. Diane Schuerger

7/25/2007 at 5:55 pm

The cake looks like you did omit the walnuts, so that’s how I’m going to make it — I have everything on hand (how handy!) except the apples, and it’s “almost” apple season, isn’t it? If folks who submit recipes ONLY KNEW how much a picture means to “us”…..it looks yummy! Thanks!

13. Dawn

4/24/2011 at 11:42 am

you have to try this… I made it, check it out I posted my blog today with pictures. Hoppy Easter

14. Kitchen

5/12/2011 at 7:50 pm

I tried this using pureed mango. Omg it was such a treat. Thank you for the great base recipe, as it can definitely be changed to suit everyones tastes.