Leftover Apples Cake
This isn’t an apple spice cake. This is a regular cake with apples and a caramel glaze.
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups white sugar
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 3 eggs, beaten
* 3 1/2 cups chopped apples
* 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
* 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
* 1/3 cup milk
* 1/2 cup butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F Grease and flour a 9×13 inch pan.
2. In a large bowl, Sift together flour, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix well (batter will be thick). Fold in chopped apples and nuts if you want nuts. Spread into a 9×13 inch pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean. Glaze while still hot.
4. To make the glaze: In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, milk and butter. Bring to a boil and stir constantly for two minutes. Pour over cake while still hot.
The batter is very very thick, but the cake is dense and moist. I poked small holes into my cake and poured the glaze over the top, so it seeped into the holes.
It’s delicious. It’s a lot of oil, but I’m sure you could use applesauce in it’s place or half oil/half apple sauce. Superlicious with ice cream and served warm.
Don’t let your family know that you’re using leftover apples or they might stop eating apples, so they can have this cake. Ask me how I know.