Waiting for spring

By on March 7, 2007

From December to March, there are for many of us three gardens -
the garden outdoors, the garden of pots and bowls in the house,
and the garden of the mind’s eye. — Katherine S. White

Optimism is planting succulents and an african violet in the same terrarium. :D Wow. I sure know how to live on the edge. lol

This is the bubble bowl that I purchased at the thrift store last week for $1.60. :)

I’ve heard that succulents shouldn’t do well in a terrarium and that they will rot. I’ve successfully grown succulents in an open terrarium, so I don’t agree with those that say the conditions are too humid. Lots of sunlight (not direct sunlight) is the key. And of course, being careful not to overwater. I placed pebbles on the bottom for drainage and don’t anticipate any problems. (well except maybe the african violet, but I can easily yank it out and for now I’ll enjoy the blooms)

I also kept some african violet leaves for cuttings. Many prefer to propagate in soil, but I like to see the progress, so placed my cuttings in a clear glass. The glass is covered with plastic wrap. The plastic wrap has slits cut into it for the leaves. This allows the leaves to rest without touching the water.

1. Darlene

3/7/2007 at 9:21 am

Wow , how pretty Sara. You are definately a living on the edge kinda lady.;)
    Was just talking to my hubby yesterday about what to plant in the garden. Seeing all those rosy breasted robins hopping around in the snow means the growing season is on the way. Yippee!
    I didn’t this year but I do like to start some bulbs (usually paper white narccisus) indoors around February to help fight the winter blues. Your terrarium brought a smile to my face like the warmth of sunshine on a cold winters day.

3/7/2007 at 11:26 am

That is beautiful. My Mother is an avid gardener, well flower gardener. Her yard is so beautiful when everything begins to bloom. I myself, have not inherited her green thumb. She still gives me lots of encouragement though. Bring on the Spring!

3. baxjul

3/8/2007 at 11:10 am

I do my African violet leaves in a clear glass also! They always turn out great. Your little garden bowl is beautiful, you are so creative!

4. AheeK

3/8/2007 at 10:30 pm

Ah, spring…I can’t wait! Your terrarium is gorgeous! I love all the little succulents and the African violet is beautiful. How early will you seed outdoors?

5. Stella

3/10/2007 at 12:35 pm

Love the plants! It reminds me I have a mini enclosed terrarium, I should pull it out and put it to use. I keep my plant cuttings in a plastic water bottle.

6. Michelle S.

3/10/2007 at 1:49 pm

Ooh very pretty. I love terrariums with those kinds of plants. I could show you pictures of Dave’s carnivorous plant terrariums, and while they’re interesting, they’re not nearly as pretty as yours. :)

7. Maggi

3/10/2007 at 4:26 pm

So pretty Sara, Oh I can’t wait for spring.

3/14/2007 at 9:04 am

Thanks everyone. Aheek, I seed indoors and then harden them off outside. I could sow some any time now. I plant mostly perennials.

9. bridge

3/20/2007 at 4:52 pm

Very Pretty!! I will have to try that with my African Violets!!

3/24/2007 at 1:54 am

Your garden bowl is great. I want to create one now, I have a bowl that would be perfect to use. I just discovered this last year how to grow African violets from leaves and I need to slow down or my apartment will be over run by them :) . I love flowers and I can’t wait for my spring ones to grow.

11. lili

6/11/2007 at 8:56 am

This is a great idea and it is also very pretty. I see this in my mind’s eye sitting on my patio table. The pebbles add a nice decorative touch.

12. Mnouchehr

9/14/2007 at 7:26 pm

Hi sara
    Your Terrarium was so nice .
    whould you please tell how do you set that .
    I mean what kind of soil do you use .
    Please explan more.
    I also care African violet .