Freeze foods to avoid waste

By on January 4, 2012
cookielogs

Frugal families use their freezers to stock-up on food. While some foods don’t freeze well, such as mayonnaise, lettuce or cucumbers, there are quite a few foods that you might not think would freeze well that actually freeze wonderfully. One example is cookie dough. Visit frugalvillage.com/2009/10/04/be-thoughtful-with-secondhand-gifts/ to learn to make cookie dough logs. What foods have you frozen?
Here are a few more foods to freeze, helping you save money and avoid waste:

Milk:

If you come across a sale, buy a few gallons to freeze. To avoid breaking the container, remove some milk (1/2 cup is enough) and to create some space inside before freezing. Thaw it in the fridge and simply shake before using.

Eggs:

While eggs have a long shelf life, you might have a situation where you have far too many. You can freeze them whole, or freeze just the yolks or the whites. One reader, Dee from New York, shares: “I was sick of throwing out eggs all the time and decided to freeze some. I added one teaspoon salt to five whole eggs and mixed them together with a whisk. I did a total of 20 large eggs. When I filled my ice-cube trays, I came up with 40 cubes exactly, so two cubes equals one large egg. They wouldn’t pop out, so next time I’ll spray the ice-cube tray with cooking spray first.” For more information on freezing eggs, visit nchfp.uga.edu/how/freeze/eggs.html

Bananas:

You can mash and freeze them or freeze them with the peels on. Once thawed, simply cut off an end and squeeze the banana out of the peel. The peel will look terrible, but the banana inside is fine. Another reader, Joseph from North Carolina, shares: “Make mock banana ice cream. Peel a frozen banana, chop it into chunks and blend it with a splash of milk in your food processor until creamy. Next time I am adding chocolate syrup and nuts to make a sundae. I may never bother with the fat and calories of regular ice cream again.”

Celery:

You can put limp celery in ice cold water to freshen it up, but did you know you can freeze it, too? Chop the celery, flash freeze it on a baking sheet and transfer to freezer bags. Add it to soups, stews, sauces and casseroles.

Herbs:

Freeze herbs such as parsley, basil, mint and tarragon. Chop the herbs and place in an ice cube tray. Top each ice cube tray cubbie with water. Use roughly 1/4 cup water for every cup of parsley. You can process it in a food processor, too. Once frozen, transfer the herb cubes to storage bags.

Apples:

Freeze whole or chopped apples and make applesauce or apple jelly later. For an apple jelly recipe visit frugalvillage.com/forums/apples/121826-using-whole-apple.html. You can freeze applesauce and apple pie filling, too. For a recipe for freezing apple pie filling, visit homesteepedhope.com/2006/09/14/freezing-apple-pie-filling/. Another reader, Stacey from Pennsylvania, adds: “I grate frozen apple peels in my blender to use in my oatmeal along with raisins, nuts and cinnamon. I also add grated peels to my oatmeal cookies. They turn out very moist with a slight apple flavor.”

Marshmallows:

Freeze them in an airtight container or a freezer storage bag. They thaw quickly and won’t stick together or go stale. If they are already stuck together, add a little powdered sugar to the bag and shake until they fall apart.

photo by wikiteresa

1. Mary C

1/12/2012 at 2:25 pm

Avocados can be frozen whole to be used for guacamole later.

2. Karen

1/12/2012 at 10:53 pm

Whole as with seed still in?

3. Lynne

1/13/2012 at 12:03 pm

I’ve done the frozen milk for years, but didn’t think about some of the others. When I thaw the milk in the fridge, it can take almost a week, so I thaw it on the counter for several hours first. It will still have a frozen ‘core’, and still be cold. Then I put it in the fridge and by the next day, it is usually completely thawed. You’ll need to shake or stir it as it does seem to separate when frozen. Since there is only DH and myself, I often put the milk in quart size freezer containers and do it that way.

Thanks for all your good tips!

• Gail

5/14/2012 at 9:47 am

I have frozen my milk for years as well. I was taught to fill my sink with cold water to thaw it out. It thaws much quicker.

4. Rivahcat

1/14/2012 at 11:51 am

My late husband used to peel bananas, wrap them in foil, and freeze them; he’d eat them like popsicles instead of eating ice cream.

• diane greene

1/15/2012 at 9:13 pm

I too freeze bananas. Sometimes I roll in granola or ground nuts, before I wrap and freeze. Also love to freeze grapes was pat dry and freeze. Diane

• Carol St Onge

1/21/2012 at 1:57 pm

I like to peel banana cut in half and slice long way….open and spread peanut butter on one half and put other half sandwich style. Then I wrap each half in tinfoil and drop in zip freezer bags…Now you’re talking cool snack!

• Rose

4/1/2012 at 11:11 am

We freeze over-ripe bananas, with the peel, for use in banana bread. Make sure to thaw on a plate since the thawing process will release water.

5. Pingback: More Ideas to Save Money on Cooking and Food

6. karen

9/14/2012 at 4:23 pm

You can also freeze butter and margarine. Cheese, but once thawed it becomes a little crumbly. Most yogurts freeze well. Any leftover cooked veg, keep in a tupperware in freezer and when you have enough cook a small onion and some garlic add veg and some stock give it whizz and you have some lovely soup, You can also most bread products ( loaves, crumpets fajita wraps bagels pitta breads).

7. Donna

12/13/2012 at 5:10 pm

I save all my carrot, onion, celery, veg tips and peelings in the freezer. I just huck them all in the same freezer bag as I get them, I don’t worry about the contents.
    When I want to make soup or need broth I boil the bag contents with whatever else I have going.. add flavour and richness for free…

8. Evelyn

5/28/2013 at 1:16 pm

Love all the freezer tips and have used many. I bought bags of lemons and lines on sale and have frozed the juice in ice cube trays but how can I freeze the zest without it drying all out?? HELP