13 Inexpensive Ways to Have Fun This Summer
Summer is in full swing, so you’re probably looking for fun, frugal activities for you and your children to do together. Or you might be out of school for the summer and looking to spend time with your friends on a tight budget. Whatever your situation, the following tips will help you have a fantastic summer and create memories without overspending:
1. Go camping and get close to nature: Camping gives your family the opportunity to get close to nature and spend time together. Go hiking, build camp fires, try fishing, and enjoy spending a few days roughing it together.
2. Create your own drive-in theatre: Set up your own outdoor cinema with a projector in your driveway. This idea is perfect if your kids want to invite their friends over. All you need is some popcorn to complete the experience.
3. Take advantage of your local library: If you’ve never stepped foot inside of your local library, go check it out and see what it offers. Some libraries offer classes or reading groups, and as a bonus, they’re typically air conditioned.
4. Plant some seeds in your garden: Pick up some seeds from the dollar store and spend an afternoon planting a variety of brightly colored plants. Try sunflowers or pumpkins for easy planting and fast growth, so your children can see the results.
5. Have a picnic: Get your friends together in the sunshine and ask them all to bring a side dish. What could be better than good friends, good food and good weather?
6. Go skimboarding: If you’re near the sea, try skimboarding. It’s a form of surfing that uses a smaller board that doesn’t have fins. You can purchase boards for around $80, as opposed to a new surfboard, which can cost around a grand.
7. Try geochaching: Geocaching is a free, scavenger-hunt activity that can be done with any GPS device, such as a smartphone. Volunteers hide geochaches all over the world, possibly even in your neighborhood. Spend a day hunting around your area for hidden parcels for free.
8. Visit an art gallery or museum: Galleries and museums in your area will often host new and exciting exhibits. Often, they only require a small donation to attend. Take in some culture and escape the heat at the same time.
9. Have a family game night: If you have a game console or a collection of board games, get your family together and spend the night playing games.
10. Go stargazing: If you live in an area with a lot of light pollution, try stargazing. Drive out to a more remote area, lay out a blanket and watch the stars. You’ll be amazed at what you can see.
11. Run through the sprinklers: On a hot day, what can be better than running through the cool jets of the sprinklers? Grab your bathing suits and hit your backyard for some fun family time.
12. Hold your own disco: Put together a playlist of your favorite party tunes and invite your friends over. Hold a mini disco in your living room and dance the night away!
13. Host a clothes swap day: If you want to get some new threads but want to save cash, hold a clothes swap party. Invite your friends over with their own unwanted clothing, and have fun swapping. You’ll spend a day with your friends and get a whole new wardrobe.
There’s a world of entertainment to enjoy in the world, and this is especially true in the summer. Get your friends and family together and with a little imagination, you’ll be having fun before you know it.
Scott Huntington is a writer from central Pennsylvania. He enjoys working on his home and garden with his wife and 2 kids. Follow him on Twitter @SMHuntington