Fresh and Easy: Recipes for Infused Water
Sports drinks and soft drinks are loaded with sugar and artificial ingredients. If you are not a fan of plain water but don’t like the idea of drinking something as unhealthy as these options, there might be a simple solution – infused water. Infused water is simply water that has been infused with natural flavors from fruits, herbs, and spices. It is easy to make, delicious to drink, and it is a great alternative to unhealthy beverage options.
Tips for Making Infused Water
The process for making infused water is very simple – all you have to do is place your chosen ingredients in a container then add water! Infused water can be made with a wide variety of ingredients including fruit, vegetables, herbs, spices, and even edible flowers. You can make infused water in any container large enough, though many people prefer to use large glass bottles or jars with lids so the water can be poured into glasses without having to transfer it to another container.
In addition to choosing your infusion container carefully, you also want to be mindful when selecting your ingredients. You do not necessarily have to use organic ingredients, but organic fruits and vegetables will be free from pesticides and may be more flavorful as well. When preparing your ingredients, you can slice or chop them as desired. Fruits and vegetables can be infused either peeled or unpeeled but you do need to make sure that it is fresh and ripe for the best flavor. Once you’ve combined your water and your ingredients, be sure to let them sit for several hours – the longer they infuse, the more flavorful the beverage will be. Once you’ve finished the water, you can simply add more than let it infuse again.
Benefits of Infused Water
One of the main benefits of infused water is that it offers a tasty alternative to unhealthy beverages like soda, soft drinks and overly sweetened fruit juices. Many people find that infused water is a helpful tool for weight loss. Not only is infused water very low in calories but it helps to keep you hydrated and may also help flush toxins from your body, thus further supporting your weight loss goals. Drinking infused water throughout the day may also help you to feel full, keeping you from snacking or overindulging at meals. Of course, the top benefit of infused water is that it tastes great and it is incredibly easy to prepare.
Easy Infused Water Recipes
When it comes to infused water, the flavor combinations are nearly endless so don’t be afraid to get creative! To help you get started, however, you will find a few tasty recipes below:
- Blueberry Basil – handful of fresh basil leaves, 1 cup fresh blueberries, slices of lemon.
- Vanilla Lemon Lavender – slices of fresh lemon, one vanilla bean, dried or fresh lavender (tied up in a mesh bag).
- Fresh Ginger Lime – slices of fresh lime, slices of peeled ginger.
- Apple Cinnamon – slices of fresh apple, cinnamon sticks broken up.
- Minty Tropical Fruit – slices of fresh pineapple and mango, handful fresh mint.
- Basil Cucumber Melon – slices of fresh honeydew, slices of cucumber, handful fresh basil.
- Blueberry Rose – cup of fresh blueberries, handful of fresh rose petals.
- Fennel Peach Lemon – slices of fresh fennel, slices of fresh peach, slices of fresh lemon.
- Rosemary Berry Blend – cup of fresh berries, sprigs of fresh rosemary.
- Cilantro Citrus – slices of fresh lemon, slices of fresh orange, handful of fresh cilantro.
- Mango Ginger – slices of fresh mango, slices of peeled ginger.
- Fresh Cucumber Lemon – slices of fresh cucumber, slices of fresh lemon.
- Raspberry Tangerine – slices of fresh tangerine, cup of fresh raspberries.
- Cherry Lime – slices of fresh lime, two cups pitted cherries cut in half.
- Basil Watermelon – two cups of chopped watermelon, handful of fresh basil.
The next time you open up your refrigerator to find something to drink, don’t reach for that sugary sports drink or diet soda – choose an infused water instead! To make sure you always have some on hand, make a big pitcher over the weekend so you can enjoy it all week long. You might even make a few flavors so you always have options.