5 Festive Winter-Themed DIY Decorations
Winter is a wonderful time of year. The temperatures may get colder, but with the dropping temperature comes the beauty of snow. If you love the winter season, consider giving some of these five festive winter-themed DIY decorations a try.
- Minimalistic Tree – If you want a simple winter-themed decoration that won’t compete with your Christmas tree, try making a minimalistic tree decoration. Simply venture into your backyard (or to the local park) and pick up some thin branches. Gather the branches into a bunch and remove all the lower stems then place it in a decorative vase on the floor. For an extra bit of bling, hang crystals or small ornaments from the branches.
- Sweater Pillow Cover – Transform your throw pillows into cozy sweater-wrapped throw pillows for a homey winter decoration. All you need is an old sweater, some basic sewing skills, and a throw pillow. Insert the pillow into an old sweater then cut away the sleeves and any extra material. Remove the pillow and sew up three of the sides. Slip the pillow into the cover then hand-sew it closed or use safety pins so you can remove the cover later.
- Wintery Wine Bottles – A simple DIY centerpiece idea is to take three empty wine bottles of different shapes and cover them with “snow”. Soak the bottles in warm soapy water until you can remove the labels easily and then dry them and paint them white. While the paint is still wet, coat the bottles with fake snow (or use spray adhesive). Arrange the bottles on a silver tray or a round mirror and place it in the center of your table with some tea lights.
- Frosted Candle Luminaries – Turn simple glass jars into glowing luminaries using something surprisingly simple – Epsom salt. Simply pour some salt onto a paper plate and color it with one drop of food coloring, if desired. Paint the outside of the jar with Modge Podge then coat it with Epsom salts and let dry. Eventually the salt will absorb all of the liquid so be sure not to make these decorations more than 1 week before you plan to use them. You can fill them with tea lights or battery-powered lights, if you choose.
- Homemade Snow Globes – This DIY decoration is a great option for kids because it is fun and easy to make. Take a large glass jar with the lid and make sure that it is clean and dry. Place the lid on a flat surface and glue some winter-themed toys (like trees, reindeer and snowmen) to the inside of the lid. Add some glitter and water to the jar then screw on the lid and turn it upside down.
These winter decorations will help you to enjoy the beauty of winter without having to brave the cold weather and snow. These projects are surprisingly simple and they are the perfect way to keep yourself occupied when it is too cold to leave the house!