DIY Tips for Brightening Your Home in Winter
When the weather turns cold and the days grow short, it can be easy to give in to the winter blues. But don’t give in to the gloom just yet – there are some simple things you can do to brighten your home this winter. Keep reading to learn some easy DIY tips to make your home just a little bit more cheery.
- Choose light-colored slip covers. Slip covers are a great way to protect your furniture from spills and pet hair, but they can serve another purpose you might not have thought of – brightening up your home! If you are currently using dark-colored slip covers, consider switching them out for some that are ivory or white. You’ll be amazed at how much brighter your living room looks!
- Switch your light bulbs. You may not know this, but light bulbs come in different colors. Unless you see them next to each other, you might not notice the difference between daylight bulbs and cool white or warm white bulbs. The fact is that different bulbs may work better in different rooms of your house, so buy some new bulbs (don’t forget to go for LED) and see if you can brighten things up – literally.
- Take out your screens. Those mesh screens covering your windows are great during the summer – they keep out the bugs while letting the fresh air in. But once the temperature drops below 50°F, you probably won’t be opening your windows very often. Take off your screens to let in just a little bit of extra light.
- Update your window treatments. If you are blessed with large windows in your home, use them to your best advantage with some minimalistic window treatments that won’t block the light. Another simple trick to make your home look a little brighter is to swap out dark-colored and patterned window treatments for ones that are lighter in color.
- Keep it clean. Everything looks a little darker when covered in a layer of dust. So shake off the winter blues and give your house a good once-over. Don’t forget to give those hardwood floors a shine – they’ll brighten up the whole house!
- Go white. If you are going to be doing some redecorating anyway, consider using some bright white paint to open up a room. Clean white walls never go out of style and the options are limitless if you want to add some pops of color with your furniture or wall décor.
- Don’t be afraid to rearrange. When you are stuck inside due to cold weather, you may start to feel trapped. What better way to break free than to rearrange and reimagine your home? Think objectively about the space and the rooms you have available to decide whether they could be used in a better way to make your home feel lighter and brighter.
You’ll be amazed at how the simplest things can make the biggest difference when it comes to brightening up your home. By making some of these easy switches you can beat the winter blues and bring more light into your home.