Frugal Village Forums banner

Appetizers recipes needed

14K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Libby 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any good appetizers or finger food recipes you would share or where to go to find them.Thanks in advance

#6 ·
Was going to suggest slicing block mozzarella and rolling up in a slice of spicy salami. Lay seam side down on a tray OR use a toothpick to hold closed. You can cut each roll up into half so they truly are bite sized.

In a pinch - I usually use store bought hors doeuvres at this time of year - jalapeno poppers, chicken bites (adult term for smaller chicken fingers?), wings, hot dips that you microwave for 3-5 mins and serve with tortilla chips, meatballs, mini pizza/pizza bites, mini quiches, coconut shrimp. I personally love fruit kebabs or veggies w/hummus.

Depends on how many you need to serve and if there any food allergies.

#3 ·
I don't know what you exactly mean by apetizers, but maybe you could do the minipizzas? For the recipe, just look at normal pizza, but make them a lot smaller. Alternatively you could use little toast, put ketchup on them and cheese. That would be a lot less work (just make sure you get the kind that has sides, so not all of the ketchup drips of.

Yet another suggestion would be to go for little cheese blocks, little salami blocks, olives, little sour onions, pickles (the green ones)...

Disclaimer: please excuse me for any writing mistakes, wrong descriptions in the text above. English is not my first language and my food ingredients vocabulary still needs some work :).

#4 ·
cut bacon strips into thirds - wrap around cocktail hotdogs, place in slow cooker and sprinkle with brown sugar. . . cook until bacon is crispy.

spread a softened block of cream cheese on a plate, cover with cocktail sauce, sprinkle salad or canned shrimp/crab meat on top. Serve with crackers.

make mini cheese balls (i made these for our office Christmas party and they were a huge hit) I used a melon baller to shape the mixture into balls, rolled them in nuts, parsley or shredded cheese. . . served on toothpicks with crackers.

#5 ·
I like to serve what I call "Italy skewers": on a tooth pick thread a cherry tomato and a piece of mozzarella that was rolled in pesto. I sometimes add a black olive to the skewers. To make it fancier I use the decorative toothpicks.

I also like to serve warm topped brie. I top it either with nuts mixed in real maple syrup or bruschetta. If I do the nuts, I garnish the whole thing and stick it in the oven to warm and get melty, if I do the bruschetta I warm the cheese, then top. Serve with lightly toasted baguette slices or crackers.

Hth!

#7 ·
frozen meatballs, grape jelly, and barbeque sauce sound nasty but they lick the crock pot...
cream cheese with hot pepper jelly heat the jelly up a little
sour cream and onion soup mix serve with crackers and celery sticks.
I am making a buffalo chicken dip next weekend (google) cheap and easy
velveeta and Rotel nuked with tortilla chips
tortilla shells cream cheese spread (sour cream and chives ) lunch meat and green onion wrap and slice in to pin wheels.
chex mix...

this is all easy and cheap... ...hope it helps

#8 ·
proscuitto wrapped asparagus is always a hit

make a cream cheese, sour cream, green onion, chive garlic mixture in your food processor(can also add some fresh dill and dont forget the fresh cracked black pepper), then scoop out strawberry tomatoes and fill w/ the dip...super yummy..or look up barefoot contessa's recipe for green herb dip and use that

giada has a recipe that is fab for white bean dip...you can find it online

people also like the crabmeat meltaways that you nmake on english muffins and freeze and then bake..you can find the recipe online...it is a cool retro app!!

pub cheese is another one...buy a tub, put in a pretty china bowl and put it on matching china plate and put crackers of your choice around it..who doesnt like pubcheese? yummo...

i have never made before, but look online for charleston cheese dip...looks absolutely divine!!! i have a friend (who entertains often and is a fab cook...she raves about it)

vegetables and spinach dip are another standby

#12 ·
Foccacia bread is really easy to make and can be topped with anything. Even nutella. : )
It can be cut into nice finger food pieces

Chocolate fondue is always fun especially when you try to think of all the things you can dip into it.

Veggies or fruit can be served with a variety of sauces/dips. Also makes it easy for people who are trying to watch what they eat.

#13 ·
#14 ·
cut bacon slices into 3rds or 4ths and wrap an olive with a small piece of bacon, fasten with a tooth pick. can make ahead & refrigerate and pop in the oven at 350 til the bacon crisps up and serve on a pretty tray.

roll out homemade pie crust or store bought refrigerated crust (roll it a bit thinner) and cut out with a cutter the size of a tomato sauce can. press each slice into a mini muffin pan, prick the bottom with a fork and bake til done. fill with filling of your choice: my fav is cream cheese, canned shrimp or boiled crawfish, chopped green onions and ranch dip mix to taste. the crusts can be baked ahead & the filling made ahead & refrigerated & put together when you need them. DD won 1st place at 4-h with these and it was easy enough for her little hands to do.

You can also take the same pie crust cut-outs, put a "dob" of the dip mix on them and do a "fold-over" and seal, bake at 350 til golden. DD also won 1st place at 4-h with these.

#17 ·
Reactions: Libby
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.