Frugal Village Forums banner

Apples, apples everywhere!

Tags
apples
7K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  Mr Fixit 
#1 ·
This is a bumper crop year. Again. I still have apples int he freezer from last year, as well as apple sauce and apple butter.

I just finished 12 - 1/2 pints of apple jelly, set perfectly last night, and today 11 - 1/2 pints and one 1/4 pint of cinnamon apple jelly. I'm listening for all the popping of the jars right now. Great sound!

But that was really just the tip of the iceberg, the jellies were made from green apples that had to be culled from the tree to lessen the burden or the branches ont he poor tree would snap!

So.... what else can I' make with my apples? They are starting to ripen up now, my dd is picking 5 gallons right now, but that's just the beginning!!!

Ideas??

#3 ·
I like to peel, slice them and sautee in butter with brown sugar and cinnamon.Then I put them over pancakes .you could put them over alot of things including ice cream.you could also make breads like apple pumpkin bread and such.Taste of Home is a good website(also magazine)for recipes.

#4 ·
I have a ton of recipes for apples, PM me and i will send you a million of them,lol.

#5 ·
I'm Green apple color with jealously!! How about a trade? I've got a freezer full of orange and lemon slices and juice. Isn't that how it is you always want what you don't have. lol
Send me a mailing addy and I'll forward you a phamlet type recipe book I've got for apples.

Laurie in Bradenton

#16 ·
I slice mine and spritz them with water and Fruit Fresh...no sugar or lemon needed. I think Fruit Fresh is just ascorbic acid. I use them for pies and crisps as well.

I freeze unsweetened applesauce and use it to replace fat in baking in the winter.

I'm Green apple color with jealously!! How about a trade? I've got a freezer full of orange and lemon slices and juice.
Okay Laurie, I have to ask, what do you use the frozen slices for? I freeze my lemons whole, but I never thought of doing anything like that for oranges. I juice my lemons eventually, and grate the rind when they're still frozen (it's easier). What do you do with frozen slices though?

Jean

#9 ·
Ok, I should mention I have no more freezer space as I'm get a 1/2 side of beef in a few weeks. So it's to be canned? I don't have a dehydrator.

So any ideas? Love the pie filling idea! Recipe? Maybe, please?

#10 ·
I think my trees are dying but the neighbors have a bumper crop and are sharing more than they can use. I will be making cobblers this weekend and freezing

It might be worth borrowing or buying a dehydrator. reconstitute with water and make pies in the winter. I borrowed one so often they gave it to me and said they will borrow it if needed. So I have 2 running.

#11 ·
I am so jealous. If I wanted to buy an apple around here, it would cost on average $1 a piece!!!!! I cannot wait for my apple tree to produce. I found it at a nursery, it was half dead, for only $10. It's pretty big too! I trade you some tomatoes for apples?!:dis:

#12 ·
Anything done in a dehydrator can be done in a conventional oven, so don't feel that you have to can everything. We make apple fruit rollups by drying pureed apple sauce and it is the most delicious snack ever.

I don't really have many ideas as my kids eat about 4lbs of apples a week, so I don't have much need to preserve them.

#13 ·
Could you pm me some apple recipes too. We have two tree that we thought were crabapple but they are big and one tree have red apples and the other has green. So I think they are regular apples.

#15 ·
My tree was mature when we moved here, we've been here 7 years. We have a zone 3 for growing season. So I"m not sure. I *think* we have a macintosh tree, but it could be spartan. We also have granny smith in the area, but not here.

a tree usually needs 1 to 2 years to rest after a transplant before it produces, but that can vary. Some might right away.

My kids eat an apple a day, dh as well, plus the dayhome, however when my apples are ripe, we are looking at 30 to 40 GALLONS of apples. They could never be eaten in time. They have quite abit of hail damage this year so the kids aren't too fond of them.

I'd love the recipes for dehydrating in the oven... I have a convection as well as convential oven, would that do?

I'd gladly trade apples for tomatoes.... my tomatoes are being super duper slow, my cherry tomatoes are still blooming, no fruit yet. My grownins season ends in about 6 weeks, they better hurry up!

#18 ·
I pull out a stack of slices in the morning when I'm making breakfast and we eat them raw. I put a stack of slices into the ice tea pitcher for flavor. Slices go into glasses home squeezed oj.
Slices go into the bottom of jello dessert cups and have jello poured over them. When I slice them I stack them into old icecream pails and freeze them that way. A stack will thaw in a half hour quicker if you run water over them. My kids like them semi-frozen I like them in Tea. Also when I make my sangria I put them in there.
We get oranges, grapefruits and lemons by the 5 gallon bucket from neighbors who can't eat them all. I squeeze gallons of juice. Slice more and even freee some whole. The peels make great scented boils. A few of each peels, some cloves, alittle water and s good shake of pumpkin or applepie spice and the house smells wonderful in no time.

Laurie in Bradenton

Reactions: peanut
#19 ·
Apple Pie Filling

for 7 Quarts

6 quarts of blanched sliced apples
5 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup clear jel
1 Tbsp cinnamon
2 1/2 cups cold water
5 cups apple juice
3/4 cup lemon juice
1/8 tsp nutmeg (optional)

If apples lack tartness, use an additonal 1/4 cup lemon juice for each 6 quarts of apple slices

wash peel, core and slice apples 1/2 inch thick. place in water using ascorbic acid to prevent browning. place 6 cups at a time in 1 gallon of boiling water and boil each batch 1 minute after water returns to a boil. Drain, but keep heated fruit in a covered pot or bowl. combine sugar, clear jel, cinnamon, water and apple juice in a kettle. add nutmeg if desired. stir and cook mixture on mediunm high heat until thick and begins to bubble. Add lemon juiceand boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Fold in cooked apple slices and stir and fill jars immediately/ leave a 1 inch headspace. adjust lids and process. 8 minutes at 5 lbs pressure

#20 ·
I usually dehydrate all my apples (and you can find dehydrators really cheap at thrift stores/flea markets/yard sales) and I use them straight dried as snacks (my kids love them), chopped up in muffins, oatmeal, on cereal, on salads, etc. I do envy your abundance though, we love apples and lost our source severel years ago.. :(

#22 ·
All the trees here are loaded to the point of breaking too. I was telling the girl I work with today that I would love to find someone with a tree of good cooking apples who didn't want them. She winked at me and said "I know someone". Come to find out SHE has four or five trees! She said they are LOADED and they are really good for cooking. She said I'm welcome to them if I come pick them! I'm going to get enough to can a good turn of applesauce! YUM!

#23 ·
Welll, so far:
12 1/2 pintsapple jelly
12 1/2 pintsapple-cinnamon jelly
10 pints of dutch apple preserves(questionable turnout..lol. had no idea what to expect.)

On the agenda today?
un sweetened apple sauce
apple pie preserves.

And I haven't even made a DENT in it!

Thanks for the idea on the oranges! Organic oranges are cheaper than the "conventional" oranges, and I wasn't sure what do so I didn't by many. now I can do freeze in wedges for the kids breakfast!

#25 ·
I don't have any recipes or ideas for you, but yummmm am I ever in the mood for warmed apple slices with cinnamon over ice cream....

Good luck using them all up - it sounds like a real challenge

#26 ·
Grate the apples and freeze them in amounts that your recipes call for. I grate them for apple bread in winter - my recipe calls for one cup. So I grate a bunch of apples and freeze in one cup portions. Just pull out the amount I need for apple bread.

Reactions: Ali Lee
#27 ·
I bought "2nd" apples for 10$/bushel. Today I made 12qt chunky applesauce. Wash, core, cut into chunks, cook- using 8qt pot with about 3c h2o. Half way cooking I add Fresh Fruit. I just pour some in-I don't measure. Stir often. Cook till soft & add sugar & cinnamon to taste. When cooled I freeze in qt freezer bags. Taste delish. Last year I found lemons cheap. I sliced them, single layer on cookie sheets. When frozen, put in freezer bag. I used them all winter in my iced tea. I like the idea of grating apples for bread.. will do that 2morrow/thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.