New washing machine
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question New washing machine

Our second hand washing machine finally bit the dust last night. We had been wanting to save a few months before buying a new one, but we went ahead and took it out of the EF since we'll be able to replenish in a couple of weeks with our tax refund. We decided to go ahead and buy a front loader this time, which we got for a pretty good deal on sale. I'm now wondering if we should've just bought a top loader instead. I've been told that, in the long run, the front loaders save money on electricity and water, but I'm so used to using the old fashioned top loader and I'm wondering if they're really better than what I'm used to.
    Does anyone else have a front loader washing machine and, if so, what do you think are the advantages of having one? (I'm trying to convince myself to keep it since I don't think DH really wants to load it back up on the truck and take it back to Lowes )
    ~ Michelle

Wife to DH--
    Mom to DS--
    and DD--

Avatar picture of cactus flower in bloom taken southeast side of San Antonio-May, 2013
    Mortgage -- $37,390.12

----------------------
    "The time to save is now. When a dog gets a bone, he doesn't go out and make a down payment on a bigger bone. He buries the one he's got." --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We do, i think it does save on electric. not sure about water. that seems to be the same every month.

Registered User gardening momma's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't have one, but I had heard that they use less water. I've also heard about mold problems in the door area...I've read advice that you leave the door open when not in use so it can air out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've had mine for almost a year.

my electricity has dropped, as has the water bill. and the detergent lasts MUCH longer (I buy the ECOs from costco $15 for a 6.5L jug that does almost 250 loads)

and the clothes are MUCH cleaner. they've lasted longer without the extra wear and tear - they spin and stop, spin and stop reverse, so that the clothes aren't a flattened mass of twisted clothes at the end, they're all nice and loose and pretty dry. mine's got about a dozen different cycles from a quick wash to a sanitary cycle (very handy for the cloth diapers I have - they've never been in this great of shape after washing).

I'd totally keep it.

and yep, just leave the door open when its not being used.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Keep it - you'll love it. I've had mine about six years now.

You don't need to keep the door all the way open, just cracked instead of closed tight. I've never had a mold problem.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all the reviews and advice. I've used ours for a couple of loads now, and I like the way it spins and it seems like I can load more clothes in it. I'll keep in mind about the door and make sure I keep it cracked open a bit after each load. My DH was all for buying a front loader, but I was a little iffy about it. Now I'm kind of glad we bought it. And it was only about $100 more than the top loader we were looking at. Thanks again for the responses.
    ~ Michelle

Wife to DH--
    Mom to DS--
    and DD--

Avatar picture of cactus flower in bloom taken southeast side of San Antonio-May, 2013
    Mortgage -- $37,390.12

----------------------
    "The time to save is now. When a dog gets a bone, he doesn't go out and make a down payment on a bigger bone. He buries the one he's got." --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

just washed my dh's work clothes.....encrusted in drywall mud (he works in drywall). my front loader is the first machine to actually remove all the mud, my top loader wouldn't get any off.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just bought our second front loader. Our first one lasted about 12 years and two moves. I didn't bother looking at a top loader. I never had a mold problem and always kept the door closed, so I don't know anything about that. You will save water, energy, and detergent.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I LOVE mine! You made the right decision lol. mine spins alot more of the water out of the clothes, so they dry faster in the dryer and when I hang them.

Registered User old_lady_in_the_shoe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just got a new front loader about 6 months ago and I wasn't sure either...questioned the $$ and such...but now, I absolutely love it.
    It does use less water...something like (on average) 15 gallons where a regular top loader is like 45 gallons...(it is something like that anyhow)... It also washes more at one time, so it cuts down on the # of loads you do.

One thing, my electric co. gave me a $100 rebate on my switch from a top loader to a HE front loader... yours may too, if you havent already checked into it...

The longer I have mine, the more I realize that it was definitely the right choice, and I hate changes