Compact Printer/Scanner
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Compact Printer/Scanner

I need advice on buying an inexpensive printer/scanner that works *easily* with wireless internet and doesn't take up a lot of space.

We moved to a very tiny house and the big bulky All-In-One I inherited from my mom just doesn't fit anywhere. Also, I just bought a new laptop, and I can't get the printer to work with Windows 7. Not to mention that I had never figured out how to use it wirelessly.

Any suggestions? I need to print coupons!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had an HP All-in-One that was relatively small. I don't recall it being too terribly expensive, either. The scanning/copying aspect was sloooooooooooooooooow, though. I got tired of the ink drying out, so I gave it away and picked up a laser printer. I didn't scan or copy enough to really worry about that part.

If you do go HP, I hope you never have to call for tech support. Such a difficult company to get anything repaired/replaced.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you are just doing coupons.......just get a cheapy. (that has CHEAP ink) No suggestions as I use mine for hobbies.

But if you use it for hobbies the laser won't fit the program. Especially if you are printing on fabric.

My Windows 7 wouldn't recognize one of my printers either. Hated the printer anyway.......but it had my scanner on it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with frugalfanny: if you are just printing coupons get the cheapest.

But if you need the scanner, I am very happy with the all-in-one we just bought. It's wireless, works with my Windows 7 (and DH's Mac OSX), has the printer and the scanner and a copy function. It's a good photo printer too for the occasional photo printing I do. Ink is just as much money as for any other current inkjet, though at least it uses separate black & individual color tanks.

I am not sure what is compact for you and if this small enough, but this is the one I have: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VQR1RA"]Amazon.com: Canon PIXMA MG5220 Wireless Inkjet Photo All-In-One (4502B017): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/310OrVZAA-L.@@AMEPARAM@@310OrVZAA-L[/ame]

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you - Do you need to set up a network to use the Canon w/ wireless? I think that is the part that I do not understand.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by gmarie View Post
    Thank you - Do you need to set up a network to use the Canon w/ wireless? I think that is the part that I do not understand.
    If you already have a wireless network the printer just connects to that. You find your network and enter the password on the printer and then it's connected to your wireless network just like your laptop/desktop is. If you are not using wireless internet, then no, you can't get this to function wirelessly since it has to depend on some network to communicate to your computer without cables. But it does also have the option to be hooked up via USB cable (doesn't come with one though, so save yours if you have one).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Check the price of ink for whatever printer you are thinking bout buying. There is a one time price to buy the printer, but you will be buying ink until the printer dies.
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by savvyshopper View Post
    @gmarie. If you want a wireless connection for your printer but don't have wireless internet in your home, you can also consider getting a bluetooth enabled printer/scanner. Of course, for this option your computer must also be bluetooth enabled.
    An Airport Express is supposed to be able to act as a wireless network, and may be cheaper.

Apple - AirPort Express