Any good refrigerator recommendations? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ge and Frigidare are both pretty good brands, Aman too. I have a Samsung that is a cery good unit but they are very expensive. LG is also another expensive but good brans as well.
    If you just want a good cheap dependable frig, get a Frigidare, or GE.
    But head the previous advice before you but a new unit and clean out the condensor coils which are probably underneath the frig, and make sure the cooling fan is running smoothly and doesn't have dust bunny's hanging all over the fan blades. Lots of dirt will prevent your frig from running efficiently, and eventually choke the refrigeration system to where the compressor will kick out on overload safety, and you will hear a clunk. When the safety resets, it will restart.
    So do check underneath, clean it out, and try it before you buy a new unit!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We just bought an upright freezer and went out of our way NOT to buy one with an Energy Star rating. IMO the compressors are too small. They are smaller in order to get the rating, have to work harder, and fail sooner.

I sure hope our freezer lasts more than seven years. We love it.

Good luck with your search. It's a confusing world out there when it comes to appliance shopping these days.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our fridge was making a funny noise and seemed to be running a lot (to me). Hubby cleaned it and the noise stopped and it is running perfectly now. I put my thermometer in the fridge and freezer sections to make sure it was cooling properly.
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Forgot to mention, when you measure a new one to see if it fits, check the door swing and measure it with the door open. Our side by side needs about three inches more on each side for the doors to swing open, than the width of the fridge closed. And if it's too close to the wall and the doors can't swing back far enough, we can't get the ice maker in and out or any other large item such as the produce drawer, because the door won't open wide enough.

We've had that fridge in four different houses and in two of them we've had to remove extra cabinets to make the fridge fit and assure room for the doors to swing. The other two, the fridge area wasn't near any cabinets.
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Check around your area for a dent and scratch store....if the scratch is against a wall, it won't matter. I couldn't find what I wanted at scrath and dent so we went to Sears & got one with a slide out freezer drawer on bottom with refrig double doors on top...I LOVE it....lots of room on door shelves for milk and juice & large platters and bowls fit on shelves with no problem. I absoute HATE those side by side that was so popular years ago....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We love our 1988 side by side. It's huge. We had eight kids at the time we bought it. I didn't even bother to shop around. I just went to the nearest appliance store and told them to give me the biggest one on the market, and they did. It's been a good fridge and we've never had problems putting large things in it.

My mom had a smaller one and I agree, it does make a person crazy when things don't fit in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH and I went out yesterday and scoured at least four or five stores before we stopped into Sears Home. I was a little apprehensive about it because Sears has always been known for having higher prices than other stores.

But we struck gold!

We found a unit that measured the right amount with a bottom-mount freezer in it. It was on clearance for $699 and I love it!

We're having it delivered next week.

We did check out one of the used and refurbished stores and weren't impressed enough with their lack of warranty to get one from there. We even checked the BBB and there was nothing about them in there. I scoured Kijiji and couldn't find one that we liked enough or trusted enough invest the money in.

The fridge we have now has had more than one problem other than the motor issue. The freezer's seal doesn't seal properly and I've lost a lot of meat and frozen items to it. The bottom leaks all over the place as well and it's just been a big mess.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like you found just the right thing.

We've always liked Sears appliances, although like everything else I do think the quality has taken a nosedive over the past thirty years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our fridge just died yesterday...found the same model we had,only new, and it was $630...cheaper than what we paid 7 years ago.
    On Baby Step # 6 $18,670
    Mortgage pay off October 1 2014
    Proud supporter of Blessings In A Backpack and SPCA
    CrossFit lover

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    We just bought an upright freezer and went out of our way NOT to buy one with an Energy Star rating. IMO the compressors are too small. They are smaller in order to get the rating, have to work harder, and fail sooner.

I sure hope our freezer lasts more than seven years. We love it.

Good luck with your search. It's a confusing world out there when it comes to appliance shopping these days.
    Now that is good information to have SD. I never thought much about it, but that makes sense. Filing that in I need to buy a fridge section of my brain. Thanks.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

MomToTwoBoys, I'm glad you got one that you love.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12