Any good refrigerator recommendations?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Any good refrigerator recommendations?

I think ours is about to kick the bucket.

DS8 woke me up at 4:30, saying he heard some loud noise. It turns out that it was coming from the motor in the fridge. I'm afraid it's going to conk out on us soon, so I need to get good prices set now.

Any recommendations?

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Shop around! I was amazed at the variety in pricing on seemingly similar machines. Keep an eye out for clearance models. That's how I got my last one, we just walked in and there it was. Also, stores like Home Depot, Sutherland's and Lowes sell appliances, too.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really like my refrigerator. I have a bottom freezer. This model does not seem to be very popular and I do not understand why. Most people go into their refrigerators way more than their freezers and less bending down. As far as prices; I too have been checking prices because ours is getting loud too. I have found that if you watch Sears they have been having Kenmore brand on sale and then an additional discount; periodically. I found Lowe's kind of high priced. And I'm kind of staying away from BB because of them taking too long and not caring about fixing my washer under warranty at a faster speed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are you limited by space/dimensions? As in the new fridge has to go int a cubby where the current fridge is? Have you checked out Leon's? They're having some sort of promo this month on their appliances (thats where we bought our freezer) And please, please, please - steer clear of The Brick no matter what they promise you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Check out HHGregg the have good sales & lots of diff. Price ranges. I have a frigidaire & its about 20 yrs old and still going. Keep the back clean from dust. Vacuum it & it will last longer. I'd like to get another frigidaire if anything happens to this one,but want to get a side by side model. Good luck.
    Loving Wife to Ken 29 yrs & 3 sons
    My furbaby: /Sparky paw:Jack Russel,Beagle,Dashaund mix
    Change jar ?

Seek ye first the kingdom of God & he will give you your hearts desires. (Matt 6:33)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love my Amana and I would never recommend Whirlpool. Our friend bought a Whirlpool and it literally croaked right after the warranty ran out...would have cost him over $800 to get it fixed...and, he was PO'd.

Mine has double doors on the top, pullout drawer (freezer) on the bottom. Lots of room and the door holds gallon milk jugs . If you are sure it is dying, you may want to replace it now...when fridges are croaking they tend to draw a lot of electricity.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by craftypam View Post
    I have a bottom freezer.
    THAT is what I want........but only have so much room........frig. is close to traffic area and to remodel for more room would mean losing cabinet space.

I am partial to Whirlpool for appliances.........but know people that have had trouble with all makes/models........including WP. I just have never had any 'lemons' from them. (and my electrician rec. them)

Maybe google for complaints on whatever model/make you are thinking about buying.

This info might help.............

Who actually makes all those appliances?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    Are you limited by space/dimensions? As in the new fridge has to go int a cubby where the current fridge is? Have you checked out Leon's? They're having some sort of promo this month on their appliances (thats where we bought our freezer) And please, please, please - steer clear of The Brick no matter what they promise you.
    Yeah, that's what we have. The fridge sits between the wall and the countertop.

I haven't even thought of Leon's, actually. There are quite a few ads for fridges on Kijiji and a few places in the city that deal in used appliances.

I turned the fridge down to minimum for now to help keep the motor from kicking in and making that whirling sound. I'm just hoping DH's WCB tax item comes in soon and we can file because I'm not really in the mood to stick the fridge on credit. And, I told DH that if we were replacing the fridge, the stove and the dishwasher would get the same treatment. These appliances (minus the dishwasher) look older than the house.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Remember when Mom's frig lasted 15/20 years & when it did break down it was said "it should have lasted another 5 years?" Not any more! My Sear's repairman said frig's are now made to last 7 years best. My frig is a Sear's, almost 6 years old & I'm quite pleased with it. Actually, no complaints. They have them in all prices & styles. Good Luck.
    Ali

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    THAT is what I want........but only have so much room........frig. is close to traffic area and to remodel for more room would mean losing cabinet space.

I am partial to Whirlpool for appliances.........but know people that have had trouble with all makes/models........including WP. I just have never had any 'lemons' from them. (and my electrician rec. them)

Maybe google for complaints on whatever model/make you are thinking about buying.

This info might help.............

Who actually makes all those appliances?

My refrigerator does not take up any more space than a top freezer. It does not have the french doors. I just measured it and it is 33" wide.

I heard of a very good customer service situation with whirlpool. My cousin bought one and had problems with it shortly after. Whirlpool delivered her a brand new one very quickly.

My bottom freezer refrigerators have mainly been Amana because most of the companies do not make them. Plus I like the larger one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

MTTB - forgot to add that if you have a Sears Clearance outlet store near you, you can check there for 'deals' as well. Could be floor models, refurbs etc but the difference in pricing was like 50%. I just went to visit our store here for a baby shower gift and waddled through the appliances. I have a bit of envy right now

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we just bought a new one. make sure to get energy efficient. we bought the most energy efficient in the size we had to get. one thing that i really hate on the new one versus the old one i had.....glass shelves. i hate them. i used to like to put my soups, leftovers in the fridge while still warm sometimes. can't do that now as it will crack the shelves. also the glass shelves get much dirtier. bring home a carton of milk and the whole top shelf gets little milk crumbs (like from the top of the bottle or just coming straight from the store) i hate that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I know you're in Canada but here at Lowes if you are ex or currently in the military ( which I know you are ) you can take your military card or DD something...and get 10% off ANYTHING in the store....building supplies, appliances etc. If it's on sale you STILL get 10% off in addition to the sale price. Overall that can amount to alot of money especially if as you say you're looking at replacing more than one appliance.
    Good luck....Oh, they don't advertise this you have to bring it up and it's all stores here. Ask for management if cashier doesn't know.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon Sales Challenge/August
    $

Coupons for Year / $745.54

August/ Grocery
    /Goal $175.00 Total

Groceries for Year minus Jan & Feb
    $504.98

Eat Out No More August
    Goal 20
    Accomp/19

No Spend Challenge
    Goal 10
    Accomp/12

Change Jar 2014
    $

Christmas Fund 2014
    $

Emergency/Sinking
    $100

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

adding to nikosan's comment....she made me think about it.....for anyone else in the states that may be antipating making a large purchase....at lowes....just go to the post office and get their free moving info. packet and they have a 10 percent off coupon inside. that is what i did when i purchased my new fridge at lowes.....just this past year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have DIL who works for her dad in their used appliance store. They sell a lot of parts. She has been telling people if they have a older appliance, to consider repairing it. The newer appliances only last about 7 yrs due to the smaller motors.

Have you cleaned in the motor area lately ? You might want to shut the frig down, after putting your contents in a cooler. Let it sit till it thaws the lines, and then start it up again. Probably at least overnight. We bought a new frig thinking our old one had died. It was alive and well after the lines had thawed out. The DIL told us this, after we had given it to them for junk.
    --------My signature--------
    The economy is now uncharted waters... grab a oar and start rowing. ~~
    Put the frog in pot, turn up the heat real slow, and the frog doesn't hop out. And by the time he realizes, he should , it's too late... think about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast