Frugal Village Forums banner

Need a Vacuum recommendation

4K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  judembc 
#1 ·
The place I'm moving to has sculptured carpet. I'm guessing it traps pet hair very easily & our dog Riley(a Brittany Spaniel mix) sheds a lot. Any suggestions? Thank you!

#2 ·
I have a 12 year old Riccar and newish Meile. LOVE them both. I don't care what anyone says. I HATE the Dysons. and I don't know anyone who has had one last more than a couple years. I can take mine to the dealer for any problems (have not had any at all....I keep the old one upstairs)

#3 ·
I don't care what anyone says. I HATE the Dysons. and I don't know anyone who has had one last more than a couple years. I can take mine to the dealer for any problems (have not had any at all....I keep the old one upstairs)
US! We had our last Dyson for 6 years.. 6 Years of vacuuming up after 4 dogs! We bought another one this year with our airline miles. The old one, still works well, but has been sent to the garage for cleaning the car and truck.

#5 ·
Mine is a Simplicity. I love that it has double filters, all my old ones kicked up as much dust as they sucked up, on this one it all goes into the bag! It has a super long cord and a light that tells you when the bag is full.

#7 ·
I have a dyson animal vacuum. It gets lots of use as our lab sheds a bunch.

It lasted for years until one day I broke it. A chain from the old furnace got caught in it. I pulled it out while the roller was still going, instead of turning of the vacum or the roller off first. I was pulling in the different direction then the roller was going. The furnace chain and I won out over the vacuum roller.

It was easy to fix though. I just ordered the part to fix it. it arrived and snapped right into place. Actual fix time less than 5 mins (plus delivery time of of course) I did not have to take it in anywhere and did not have to pay for labor.

So she ( the vacuum) is still going strong and doing a great job.

I love my dyson animal vacuum

The dyson we have was bought at Target with a bonus hand held dyson for free.

#8 ·
We bought a factory refurbished Dyson off amazon a little over a year ago and I love it! I have two dogs that shed - one that sheds skin as much as he sheds hair and two little boys. My Dyson gets a workout! One boy has severe allergies. He's the reason we got the Dyson and it's helped him tremendously!

#12 ·
We've been a Hoover family for eons...my mom was able to always get industrial/commercial Hoovers and they were awesome! We also had one Kenmore (Sears) canister vac that lasted forever and was great as well. Not sure how stuff is now b/c this seems to be a disposable society.

DH bought me this Dyson and I admit, I love it. Totally love it. Doesn't replace a proper vac but it does help me keep up with daily/every other day type vacuuming. I too, doubted Dyson thinking it was all marketing but its surpassed my love of Hoover. :shhh: Though I'm not sure how the regular Dyson upright/canisters perform.

#13 ·
Thanks! It's been a while since I've had to buy a vac, I'm in sticker shock. :thud:

#15 ·
Had a Dyson 5 or so years, it worked well, the issue was all the little plastic parts kept breaking off! We bought a Shark Navigator last summer or so, LOVE it. A fraction of the price of a comparable Dyson, does the same or even possibly better cleaning job, but it much easier to manuever and use, lighter too. So far no durablilty issues! Stands up to our household with 2 kids, 2 cats, 6 dogs....and a dirt drive. Did I mention I vacuum the main living areas EVERY day?!

Reactions: meredithah
#16 ·
We just bought a Dyson last year (the purple one) and really like it so far. We had a Kirby before which is still sitting in the garage and needs to go to the repair shop to see what needs to be fixed.

#17 ·
I have a kirby. I've had it for years. I love it. Bought my first one in 1973 and have owed one ever since. I did have to replace the tines inside where you hook the attachments to, I vaccumed up a quarter and it broke one of the tines. The part was less than $10.00.

I need to replace the brush in the floor attacment, its $25.00, so parts are cheap.
Sometimes you can pick up a repo or reburbished one from the dealer for pretty cheap. I don't think I would pay the price of a new one.

I have the cats inside and have never had a problem picking up cat hair.

#21 ·
Dyson owner 7 years and going strong. I'm reading up on consumer reports about vacuums because I am considering getting another less expensive vacuum for upstairs and leaving the Dyson downstairs.

#22 ·
I clean for a living. I have used kirby's, hoover's, electrolux, and oreck I have used a dyson at two different places. I have a shark. I would say that I like my shark the best as far as usability. I think the shark and dyson
clean about the same. The shark is not as sturdy, but this also makes it easier to use. Would recommend either of the last two. I do not like the oreck at all!!!

#23 ·
I have had my dyson for about 7 years now and we vacume at least once a day (I have 2 dogs and 2 boys) and it is still going strong... I just bought a new dyson this year for christmas as we have a very large house and now i keep one upstairs and one down..
I am very hard on vacumes and I have not killed the dyson yet,,,

#24 ·
I realize this is an old thread but wanted to give a shout-out for the Shark vacuum. I wanted a Dyson but couldn't afford it so I "settled" for the Shark. I'm on my second one (I broke the first one but because of the warranty, they replaced and upgraded a bit) and if this one breaks, I'll replace with another Shark. I have a dog that sheds huge quantities of hair and tracks in all sorts of dirt and leaves. It is fantastic! It's never put away as I vacuum at least once a day through the main areas. I have a Hoover. It threw out more dust than it picked up and generated a terrific amount of heat. I keep it in garage now for the car, cleaning garage floor, etc. I also have a Kirby that I've had for years. Did a great job but very cumbersome to use, especially the attachments. Another thing about the Shark I noticed is that the dust in the house in general is markedly decreased. I can easily get by with dusting once a week - even 2 weeks sometimes.

#25 ·
We have a Dyson Animal and have had it since they 1st came out. We have 1 dog (Pekingnese), 2 long haired cats (Maine Coon & Norwegian Forest), and 1 short haired tuxedo cat, 1 holland lop house rabbit. It picks up all the hair great. Our cats shed so much I swear we could make more cats - LOL! So far we haven't had to repair anything on it. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.