Frugal Village Forums banner

What's your limit?? (AC)

Tags
limit
7K views 45 replies 40 participants last post by  lparker 
#1 ·
What's your limit or the threshold it has to hit before you turn the air conditioner on in your house?

Do you wait for a certain date? Do you wait until it hits a certain temperature in your house?

#31 ·
well it will probably be the same as I told ds-'when there is snow on the ground for 3 days I'll turn on the heat' (had it set at 55 shut off at fuse box twice i turned heat on), dh bought a small haier wndow unit last season- in l/r so kids can sleep on daybed if it gets to hot/humidy. really don't plan on turning on a/c big central u nit until 100 for several days (usually late july aug). thus far we have ran ceiling fan in l/r for 3 days. i have mine on in the bedrm.

#32 ·
80 in the house or high humidity is where I draw the line. If I get too warm/sweaty I break out in a rash. We have a fan in the kitchen, but any time I try to use one in the bedroom I wake up with laryngitis. I turn the AC way down at night, it varies during the year but it's generally pretty cool. I have enough problems sleeping without suffering through a warm humid night.

#38 ·
OMG RUSS!!! This could be my dh answering.

And yes, I "need" it too
(*shakes head grumbling about some men not having to 'need' AC* - BTW this is more about my dh than anything else)

#35 ·
Texas Gulf Coast here; so it gets hot AND humid. I had to turn the A/C on late last week because the temp. outside was in the upper 80's. It doesn't run much, but it is necessary.

After the front/rain that comes through tomorrow I should be able to turn it off and open the windows and doors for about a week. It will still get warm in the house in the afternoons. I just get all my housework done in the morning and relax in the heat of the day.

#36 ·
No set date here. It's all about the temperature for me.

We are in the deep south. It it hot and we have very high humidity. Central A/C is a must. Ours is set to kick on when the house hits 69*. Sometimes I adjust up to 70*, but nothing higher. DH tries to kick it up to 71* or 72*, but that never lasts. I can tell the difference and turn it right back down.

Our A/C has been running off and on a couple for a of weeks and within another couple it will be going non-stop until roughly late October/early November.

#37 ·
I'm praying I don't have to turn it on until the end of June. But it comes on when I talk to my husband at work. His job is outside winter and summer. So if I talk to him and he says man its hot out, then a few hours before he comes home its turned on to make it comfortable for him. We are all allergy sufferers also, so if the pollen peaks, it comes on, our system has a built in humidifier and allergen system. You can turn it on when the levels are high and if low turn it off for just the A/C. It comes in handy.
I just want to recover from the winter bills and have a break. We have not had the heat on for about a week now. Its been nice to have the windows open during the day and closed at night. The temp has been right at 78 here this past week and today it is suppose to be the same. We had rain last night so today has a nice breeze. Good time to wash the comforters and hang out.

#39 ·
For our house, its all about the heat PLUS humidity. If dad has a say - he'd leave it off but I do know during the summer, he doesn't stay as hydrated as he should nor use any fans. Plus he keeps shades open and windows closed tight. WTH?! So, its up to me to keep an eye on him + the thermostat and gauge how it is in the house. We don't keep it like a fridge but I do like to keep it lukewarm to cool upstairs for dad.

DH & I live below ground where its super well insulated so it may be humid but not very hot. We're able to get by using fans for the most part. Once the a/c goes on - we have to bust out fleece blankies and winter jammies :laugh:

#41 ·
Central NC, where summers can get hot and humid. My threshold is normally high overnight temps; if it stays above 75 during the night and 90s during the day the house doesn't get a chance to cool down. If it becomes too humid I will also turn it on, because nothing is more uncomfortable than sticking to the furniture.

Have not even thought about having it on yet...

#42 ·
Dallas, Texas
Target date is June first ...but I usually only make it to the end of May...but there is hope that I will make the target this year......

#43 ·
We did not have ac for many, many years. We dh, 3 sons and I would jump into our swimming pool at 11:00 pm and then sleep in front of fans. We slept great. Newer house had air. I do not just put it on for the summer as I feel we are closed up in our house all winter and I don't want to be closed up all summer. And sometimes I just keep it off so the electric bill is not outrageous.

Just wanted to add; I sometimes put it on during the day and turn it off at night, because it's the sun that makes the house so hot!!

#44 ·
I live in Missouri in an old Victorian surrounded by huge oaks.We use the rooms to the North more in the summer and I don't get acclimated to air, I seldom use it.I do turn it on if we are having company as many people consider it a need. My husband works in a cold enviroment so on muggier evenings if he has difficulty sleeping we move to the basement. It's nice and dark and cool down there.

#45 ·
in houston, texas use a/c pretty much nine months out of the year. i keep it on 78 with ceiling fans. i put it on 70 if i am doing sweaty chores.

my peak bill in summer is around 200.

i do the "phantom load thing", and i keep lights off except for the room i am in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.