Frugal Village Forums banner

With a high efficiency washer and dryer would I really save much hanging wash?

4K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Libby 
#1 ·
We ended up buying Samsung a high efficiency washer and dryer when we moved since we needed products that could be stacked. My old dryer at the last house took forever to dry a load so i hung most things on the line. The new dryer dries a load very quickly. I'm wondering how much the savings really would be to setting up a way to line dry again.

#2 ·
The savings would be whatever you make of it. It may only be a few dollars a month but if you wanted to hang out clothes then that is a few dollars a month savings.

#3 ·
I don't have a HE washer/dryer nor do I have a place to outside line dry. However, if I had both of those things, I would still want a small area available to line dry simply because I think it's so much better for some of your clothing items. Even tho' it dries a load quickly, not drying a load of heavy towels is cheaper than quickly.
I have a friend that has the Samsung set and he absolutely loves loves loves it! I'm envious of both of you! :)

#4 ·
Freebs do you or anyone else know how to figure out the savings? I know I won'd do it now as winter is approaching but I believe the last time it cost about $50 for dh to make a clothesline. I was thinking of getting a few drying racks for the screen porch in the mean time. The new dryer takes 20 min tops to dry a load o heavy towels etc. I can't believe how much drier they are out of the high efficiency washer! The high efficiency washer was also good since we will now have water bills.

#7 ·
I looked up a samsung HF dryer that is electric is says it uses 5500 watts per hr, i converted that to killowatts and that is 5.5 killowatts per hr, so if you electricity is .12¢ it looks like it would cost .66¢ an hr to run the dryer. The key on dry times is how dry the clothes are when they come out of the washer!

#9 ·
nodmicks - another tip - once your load has finished washing - run it again on the highest speed setting for 'spin' only. The stuff that comes out afterwards is practically dry/damp and there's no need for a dryer. I was very impressed. I only toss larger/bulkier clothing items into the dryer for 2 mins or so before hanging on a drying rack to help reduce wrinkles.

The only things I will use the dryer for - bedding, comforters, towels and tiny things (socks & unmentionables) since they only take about 10 mins.

#10 ·
You should be fine with just the drying racks. You could also purchase a tension rod to hag in the shower stall to hang clothes to dry. Have clothes I would rather not put in the dryer. Great that you have the HE washer and dryer. When they updated the laundry room in this complex they put in two he washers and dryers. It is so much easier to wash large items now!!!

#11 ·
Thanks for the idea Libby! Shoiji I know I'm going to sound nuts but a tension rod in the shower might drive me batty. I'm a weirdo about stuff like that. The walk in closet is heated. I bet I could put one in there and shut the door so couldnt see it.

#13 ·
Has anyone else tried the octopus shaped hangers from Ikea? I use three of them in my laundry room to dry everything with elastic-- bras, undies, socks. They should work well for many other items-- thinking baby clothes, wash cloths, etc. I can get quite a few items on them and always dry quickly. And I laugh every time I see them because my granddaughter used markers to decorate them with interesting faces!

#14 ·
We use the dryer for most everything but I'd still like a clothesline. Like right now, when I just discovered an entire king-size bed covered with feathers and the remains of a ruffed grouse, so now I'm unexpectedly washing four loads of bedding. Ugh! I'd rather put all that outside but alas, no clotheslines. It's going to take forever to dry all that. IMO, clotheslines aren't just about drying clothes. Camping gear, rugs, wet dirty tarps, and other stuff you don't want to put in the dryer all make clotheslines worthwhile, IMO.

Call your power company and find out what your rate is. Then you can figure out the cost of running the dryer.

#15 ·
Mims I went on to the IKEA site but couldn't find them. I just had a smacks head moment reading your post! I could actually put a tension rod right in the laundry room. I dont know why I didn't think of that.

SD that is also a good point! I just paid a 10 day power bill we had gotten. Just where did I put it is the ? to find the rate.

#16 ·
We installed a pulley system clothes line, the price on them arent too bad. it will depend on how long you want it. The pulleys are about $5 each, the hooks to attach to something will run $2-$5 each you would need 2 and the rope, the last time i restrung mine the rope cost me $20. I dont use the line spreaders i use the jumbo carabener clips. I love it you stand in one spot to hang clothes and the take them down! I would never go back to a traditional line~

Reactions: nodmicks
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.