Frugal Village Forums banner

Dishwasher recommendations

5K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Libby 
#1 ·
Our 1980 dishwasher isn't getting anything clean. Has anyone bought a decent dishwasher lately for a reasonable price? I don't want to overpay, but also don't want to buy a piece of garbage.

Looking for brand/model recommendations.

#2 ·
I haven't bought anything but my "appliance guy" said that if you could do it he liked Bosch............other than that he was 'pretty much' a Whirlpool guy or Kitchen Aid............but I would check their recent reputation before buying.............

If I ever get around to my kitchen remodel I will probably look at Kitchen Aid............if it is still around..........:laugh: (the thought of the MESS makes me cringe!!)

#4 ·
I'm right in the middle of a kitchen remodel myself.
Frugalfranny - You're so right about the mess, but I'm using it as an excuse to not clean the rest of the house! Even with doors closed and plastic over the kitchen openings, dust seeps in or gets tracked everywhere.

As for the dishwasher, I'm going with Whirlpool. The model I'm getting is WDF510PAYS.
I read all the reviews and they were good. The one I'm replacing was a Maytag and I was never impressed with it.
I'm not sure of the regular price. I'm getting mine pretty cheap because I'm buying all new appliances and they gave me the contractor's price - $352.

#9 ·
My old one was a KitchenAid too.........GOLD......so that tells you how old it was. I am just hoping their 'quality' hasn't gone down. Wow, I didn't realize that Bosch was cheaper than KitcheAid............might change my mind when ..........and if........it ever comes time to actually SHOP! The replacement was a cheap one and sucks......super noisy and wouldn't have another---Roper!

All these postings about new appliances and remodels are making me want to dive in.......now, if I could just disappear for a couple months and then come home and it would all be done!!! :laugh: OH............and CLEANED UP TOO!!

#6 ·
I've bought two dishwashers in the last few years (different houses) and I'm about to buy a third in the next few years.

Dishwashers are divided in two categories: integral garbage disposal or no garbage disposal. I prefer the dishwashers with garbage disposal. They are louder and take more energy but I really dislike having to remember to empty the trap in the disposal-less models. However, if you are searching for whisper quiet (like if your kitchen is open to a living room), then select one without a disposal. Some people also buy dishwashers without a disposal because they're on a septic system. However, I've had garbage disposals both in the dishwasher and the sink on a septic system for years and years without any problems. As a matter of fact, I suspect not having a garbage disposal is causing me more problems (I don't have one currently and we're going to add one soon).

Once you make the decision between garbage disposal or no, I don't have a lot of requirements. I prefer a certain lay-out inside my dishwasher so that eliminates certain brands. I like the upper rack to adjust up and down - making room for wineglasses on top or big platters on the bottom. I also like the lower rack tines to lay flat to make room for odd items like the big metal air filters on my furnace. Of course, I want a good Energy Star rating, too.

Over all, I stay away from Kenmore (OMG! We started out buying a Kenmore and after wires burning on THREE that got installed we finally just bought a different brand!) and Frigidaire. KitchenAid, Whirlpool, GE, Maytag, Bosch, LG, and Fisher & Paykel all make decent dishwashers. As a matter of fact, some of them are made by the same company but just have a different name on the front.

When selecting a dishwasher, I started with the cheapest model and looking at the next price up until it became obvious that the extra bells and whistles weren't worth the money anymore. I DO like a stainless steel interior. I don't like the control panel at the top of the door (under the rim of the counter). I prefer a separate locking lever - although I currently have a dishwasher without one and it is okay. But all those "features" are personal preferences in my mind.

When it comes to price, I usually find something I like that costs $6XX (like $685) before tax. DEFINITELY have the store arrange a contractor to install the dishwasher. I promise you that I've installed a lot of appliances of all sorts and a dishwasher is just one of those things that I refuse to do myself - just too many things I can do wrong and end up causing a ton of damage when I do.

#10 ·
I been searching today and found that the #1 rated is the Samsung DMT800RHS
$799. @ Lowes. plus tx. and an intake hose.-
-stainless steel exterior
-energy star rebate
-hidden controls
-concealed heat element
-sm. leak detecter w/ shut off
-quietest
-stainless steel interior
Everyone says buy the extended warranty as the parts are cheap on all the reveiws I have read.
Tomorrow I will go to Lowes and actually see the unit. I buy online to save but ALWAYS see the physical unit if poss.

I looked at all the models that the were recalled and caught fire and this wasnt listed.

#11 ·
I been searching today and found that the #1 rated is the Samsung DMT800RHS

I looked at all the models that the were recalled and caught fire and this wasnt listed.
Though none of them are w/o problems the Ssung had some problems with their 300 series..............

31 Complaints and Reviews about Samsung Dishwasher

Since I-net searching can be 'iffy', at best............think I would google the "problems" in that model number to see what is said.

Good luck in whatever you pick..............today's shopping can be a real crap shoot!!!

#12 ·
I personally hate Samsung products. We had a really bad experience with a TV that we bought from them. The repair process was eye-opening (it should have been replaced but they refused). We vowed to not buy from them ever again. My husband works in international electronics development so is very familiar with Samsung and how they operate. They don't have the greatest reputation on many levels.

#16 ·
We did our kitchen reno 4 years ago and replaced our 1985 dishwasher with a Kitchen Aid and I HATE it! It was expensive, all stainless steel inside and out, has all the bells and whistles but it doesn't clean the dishes! It makes me crazy and to be honest I end up washing the dishes by hand most days! We should have researched more and made a smarter choice, but we didn't!

#18 ·
We have a Frigidaire dishwasher that we bought 3 years ago. It is awful! It is so loud that we have started running it only when we are upstairs in bed at night or away from home. It takes about 2 hours to run a load too. I don't know if that is normal but it seems like forever because of the noise. I dream of the day that we can replace it.

#22 ·
Frugalwarrior, are you in Canada? Maybe that is the difference. I'm in the USA and I typically pay between $600 and $700 for a really, really good dishwasher. Over $1000 for a dishwasher? Those are for status. I can get wonderful steam cleaning and a stainless steel interior with a terrific Energy Star rating and quiet function for less than $1000.

#23 ·
#26 ·
I had a kenmore when I moved into my house 10 years ago, that was very old and came with the house. Within three years, I replaced it with a Kenmore I bought gently used (about 2-3 yrs old, but barely used) off of craigslist for $200. It lasted 7 years and did a pretty good job - not great on pans. I am now getting ready to sell my house and my dishwasher just broke, so I didn't want to spend much money on a new one. I went to Sears and got another Kenmore, a basic one for about $300. So far it's not too noisy and it does a better job on pans than my last one. I'm not super picky about dishes or dishwashers. I've had it about a month and I'm happy with it. I don't use a finishing rinse and even so the dishes come out very clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.