Frugal Village Forums banner

washer dryer set recommendations?

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Mr Fixit 
#1 ·
So our dryer bit the dust the weekend before Christmas. My dad checked it out and it turns out the part that is broken would cost around 100$. Considering our set is over 9 years old and the washer is starting to act up, we decided to purchase a new set and try to sell the washer

So, do any of you have recommendations for a brand or model? We are a family of three, no cloth diapers, no really grubby clothes (DH is a trucker and I work in an office). We do have hard water but a water softening system,

I'm leaning towards a front load model, because they seem better with energy and water consumption.

We are also looking for a quiet model, as the machines are located just off the kitchen and dining area, and I know once I get back to work, I will be running loads during dinner time.

We were supposed to go shopping last week, but had to delay because I was so sick.. it just dawned on me today: why not ask the knowlegeable folk of the Village first? Duh moment right there!

So.... suggestions? COmments?
TIA!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a whirlpool dryer Imperial series bought last year & it's pretty quiet. Front loader.

#3 ·
My first recommendation is to not worry about a "set". My washer and dryer don't match and I really could care less.

The last time I bought a washer, I bought an energy efficient top loader. I had had a front loader and, while it was a fine machine, it really didn't serve our needs. Front loaders work best when you do a full load. Since there is no center agitator, the clothes rub against each other to get clean. For this reason it isn't efficient to do small, quick loads. I've been told that some newer front loaders have load size selectors but I haven't seen any.

Anyway, I chose a top loader because I wanted the option to select a load size. I also liked that my washer pre-heats the water so even when I select "cold" wash, it brings my water up to a temperature where the clothes detergent will actually dissolve correctly (yes, even liquid detergent needs a warmer water temperature). Since at the time we lives in Idaho with well water - which gets darn near ICY in the winter - the pre-warm feature was very important to me. As far as I know there aren't any washers that still have that feature but since you're in Canada, it might be something for you to consider.

With a front loader, I also disliked bending over. I had it up on large bed risers but still, my back benefits from a top loader. The only thing I dislike with my top loader is that I paid extra for the glass "window" lid. That was a stupid idea. Once the washer starts going, you really can't see inside anyway. I also don't like that front loaders tend to be more expensive. I don't know why they are. They don't need to be.

When my washer went on the blink, my super-high-capacity dryer was still working great. We hung onto it until it, too, died. I opted to not move it and just bought a new dryer when we got to our destination.

#4 ·
We have the Whirlpool Duet front loading washer and dryer. I have the bottom drawers/stands so my washer is at the perfect height for me to use. The only thing I will say is that I have to keep the washer door opened a little bit between uses or it will start to smell like moldy clothes! I do run a cleaner through the washer every couple of months. Other than that, I love my washer and dryer. They are efficient and quick!

#5 ·
I have HE front loaders and they're stacked. On the spin cycle, the higher/faster the spin, the more they vibrate and they do make noise. My gf has her HE front loaders not stacked and experiences the same thing. We've got them properly level/bolted so thats something to consider. I believe that will happen with all HE front loaders.

Can you hang dry your clothes for the time being using hangers on the shower curtain rod and/or wooden racks? It would take some planning but it is doable.

Are you able to buy a used dryer for the time being? Give yourself time (however long you want) to research and save up? I know you can find some on Kijiji or in QC I think there's an appliance store that has a great used section that comes with a warranty. I want to say that store is called Corbeil but I could be wrong.

Or check out the Sear's outlet stores - if you have those where you live. They seem to have a really nice selection of dent & dings or demo floor models for less then their full retail.

Tip: research all the features you want/need to help you assess which type of machine you should pick.

ETA: We have LG front loaders w/steam option. I love it!

#6 ·
I did so much research before buying mine....and was still confused. It's like apples and oranges! I ended up selecting the LG front loader set....I think it is near the top of the line, but not the fanciest. They were on a giant sale with free pedestals. And....they plugged in at the store so I could actually see how all the setting worked. My concerns were noise, but LG redesigned the pedestals and it eliminated a lot of noise. They are amazingly quiet. And the door issue....the model I bought has a magnetic bumper that keeps the door ajar about an inch, but it won't swing open into the room. I've had NO issue with funky smells. I was so worried, but they had a 30 day return policy, so I took the leap. I have to say I am super pleased with them. We did have them delivered and installed.....which I recommend. They are HEAVY and hard to menuever. The two guys that set ours up had them off the truck, unwrapped, set up and running in about 20 minutes.
My model has a sanitize setting which I like. And steam...which I have never used. This set on sale was cheaper than the next lower set at regular price. I like them much better than my dd's GE front loaders...she's had all kinds of problems, but they are about 6 years old.

#8 ·
I bought a Bosche HE front loading because the spot it was going in required stacking and needed to be small but high capacity.

I am pleased with the efficiency if both and both are quiet. They are on the second floor where the bedrooms are and we can sleep with it running.

I would not particularly recommend a Bosche because of the price, but in my opinion you get what you pay for and it's better to buy better and not have to replace in 10 yrs. it hasn't been 10 yrs for me, I'm just hoping here.

My parents still had the same top loading washer and front loading dryer from when I was a kid. From the 70's and it's still going strong for my dads widow.
Whirlpool.

#10 ·
My parents still had the same top loading washer and front loading dryer from when I was a kid. From the 70's and it's still going strong for my dads widow.
Whirlpool.
Yeah, my parents had a Maytag set that they had from the moment I was conceived to when my younger brother graduated college - easily 30 years. I think they only reason they bought a new set was because I was desperate for a washer / dryer when I was first married so they gave them to me. I passed them along to a neighbor when we could afford to replace them. As far as I know, they're still running - lol!

#11 ·
Thank you everyone for your help. I also found researching to be a tad confusing.
Libby: we are actually hanging our laundry to dry on racks but it is kind of a PITA and it adds a lot of moisture to the house, which in turn makes it feel cold...plus dh hates rough towels lol, so we're quite ready to take the leap.

Fortunately we have a "dying appliance" fund. Our appliances are all around 9 years old and we are foreseeing lots of them dying soon. So, when they do die, we'll be able to replace them without creating a hole in our budget.

It seems that LG is a favored brand. My mom has an LG Tromm set and she loves it. ( bought them after her 30+yo set died :) )
Alao, we will be buying from a local mom and pop place where they are good at recommending the right product for your needs AND they have a service department, if needed.

Anyhow, this is getting to be rambling, thank you ladies for your help!

Reactions: Libby
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.