$25,000 Family Sedan Shootout: Can a family afford a good car?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default $25,000 Family Sedan Shootout: Can a family afford a good car?

I thought this would be good article, because most people are always looking for a good, affordable family car.

$25,000 Family Sedan Shootout: Can a family afford a good car? - USATODAY.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Tell me your joking? The van and the Saturn Ion cost $22,000 together. I have never felt it necessary to pay that for a car. This is the frugal board.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I thought that was interesting. I especially liked the comparison chart at the bottom. The best deal thought is to let someone take the hit and buy it new and we buy it with a few 1000 miles at a major reduction

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post
    I thought that was interesting. I especially liked the comparison chart at the bottom. The best deal thought is to let someone take the hit and buy it new and we buy it with a few 1000 miles at a major reduction
    :winner: Interesting article and it really is amazing to see what some people think is a reasonable price to pay for a car. I like the way you see it Nodmicks. Buy used, save $$, jmho.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Heh. Both of my cars cost $1500 each. I wish I lived in a world where I could afford a $25k car. This for sure is not it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think what is frugal for a car depends on where we are as far as debt freedom /income / savings etc. The longer you are debt free and saving for it the more car you can afford it would seem . Mom bought herself a brand spanking new car with cash last year. She drove a hard bargain pitting 4 dealers against each other and got that price down so much we were amazed.. That was frugal in my opinion. She could afford to pay in cash because she has been debt free a long time. Made her old car last by taking excellent care of it and saving to buy a new one. She plans to own it until she can't drive any longer because of her age. Now if she were trading cars every few years it would not be frugal.After 12 years of owning her old car she got her $ out of it.

I have a millionaire client who buys a brand new huge suv every 10-12 years. I think for their income that is very frugal. They can very easily afford it. Is it more than lots of us would spend on a new car? Sure but it doesn't make them unfrugal

My last car in 2001 was $19,000. Was that unfrugal? You bet! Why because I couldn't afford it and financed it! As unfrugal as it gets!

I think the point I'm making is the definition of frugal is different for everyone. If you can afford it, get a good deal it is frugal. No one says to be frugal you must drive a beater forever. Just until all your goals are met and you can afford better if that is important to you. If you like the beater great! What is frugal is so different in definition to everyone. I hope that came out right. Words are not always so easy to convey typing!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Article begs the question (in the strict sense of the term) by presupposing that only a NEW car is a GOOD car.
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    Article begs the question (in the strict sense of the term) by presupposing that only a NEW car is a GOOD car.

LOL well we all know that isn't true thank heavens