How long have your cars lasted???
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default How long have your cars lasted???

Hi everyone -

Currently driving a minivan with 140k miles on it, and its 10 years old.

We recently had 1500$ worth of repairs done! And then a few days later, had a flat tire, ended up getting four new tires - 400 bucks.

Plan to drive it as LONG as possible.

I was just curious how many miles have your cars lasted? And years? When do you decide the repairs outweigh the cost of a new car?

The van is paid for.......

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Our Saturn wagon has 180k+ miles on it. We were thinking it was nearing its end last year and bought an 07 Honda. THEN I put over $1500 in engine repairs and other work into it thinking "this is the LAST time" and it runs beautifully now. So it may not be the last time, as I hear these cars can get up to 300k miles on them, which means mine is just getting broken in.

I consider tires as regular maintenance, not a repair cost.
    Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you just might find
    You get what you need ~Rolling Stones

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I don't want to jinx myself, but we bought my Ford truck in 2001 and it just hit 152,000. I plan on driving it another year or two and then I'll look for another car, but a used one next time. I don't miss $500.00 a month payments!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our car is a "93" we got it in "99" it has like 200k and has been a great car.. No big repairs, just oil changes, breaks, tires = up keep...

It is now just a get around town car, cos' we don't wanna push it, but it still does it's job..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default mistake? Not!

I bought an 12 year old honda civic with 119,000 miles in it for $300.00. My ex had a fit said I just threw the money out the window. (Wanted my own car) THat little car drove me to college and around with four kids for 5 years..not one repair except tires. I should have kept it longer...sold it for the same amount I paid for it. I now have a car payment...wouldn't do that again. Wanted a higher safety rating. This is very important to me as I drive a dangerous road. As long as it is safe and reliable I plan on driving this one for quite some time.
    L8eebugg

finish 5 quilts by end 12/14
    1/31 Eating out for Jan. -5--/Feb. Goal 7
    --1--/March Goal 5
    Change Jar/Penny 85.79/200

Grocery --39.00/January -50.79--/Feb. goal: $60.
    --123.--- March goal $75
    Homesteading Challenge: plant 3 fruit trees/make jerky

clean/declutter: house 2014 lr/dr done
    Loan 1 DONE / Loan 2 DONE
    2014 purge/organize challenge
    utility challenge: any $ down is great/fuel oil 500 gallons
    Feb. added 400 gallons

use it up/hobby: 5 dishcloths
    ----/gift cards

spend days: 8/31 January 10/9 Goal: 9 Feb.
    11/10 March

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I drove my 1997 Monte Carlo for 14 years. Mileage was app. 140,000. It got to where the service light stayed on and I couldn't get it inspected. Traded it in Jan for a 2003 Toyota Avalon. No problems so far. (fingers crossed).
    If You Find Yourself Dancing In The Rain
    You Have Been Blessed

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have a 1994 Ford Mustang (bought brand new in 94)and it has 155,000 miles and still runs like a dream. We have spent $1000 in the last year with engine rebuild and other repairs. Wouldn't trade it for anything!

We also have a 1994 Buick Century that we bought a year and half ago with 253,000 miles (showing on odometer~doesn't work so have no idea how many actual miles). Somebody had replaced the engine in it so it could last a lifetime since we don't drive it very often.

All the vehicles we own are paid for so we will continue to repair as long as those costs don't equal the price of a new vehicle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a 92 Chevy Stepside Extended Cab pickup with 205,000+ miles. Hubby has a 93 Chevy Stepside pickup with 235,000+. Mine had a new tranny installed a year or so ago. Both have the original engines. It costs WAY LESS to maintain/repair them than to buy new ones.
    House - Start $127,944 Balance $105,032

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~1990 Geo Storm, new, ran until 100,000+ miles(DH's before we were married, not sure how many). As far as I know it never had any mechanical work. It was on its last legs when he traded it in(for $1K) in 1999. So he had it 8/9 years.
    The next car was a 1999 Kia Sportage, new. Worst. Car. Ever. What a lemon. It had about $5 worth of warranty covered work done on it the first 5 years and another $3K or so that we put into it. We got $3k on the trade-in in 2006(7 years). I think it had 120K miles on it then. It literally sputtered and shook as we rolled into the dealership. It was a modern jalopy.
    In the meantime, DH's parent gave us their 2000 Dodge Caravan. They bought it new, used it gently and handed it over at 60,000 miles. It is still going strong at just over 100K miles and has never needed any mechanical work(11+ years).
    DH traded the Kia in for a 2006 Hyundai Tiberon, new. It also has needed no mechanical work and is still functioning like new 5 years later. It has 60K miles on it and we expect to get at least another 5 years out of it(10 years total).
    Really do your research on what cars are reliable before you buy. The Dodge Caravan was purchased by people who did that. The Tiberon was researched by me. DH bought the other two cars just because he liked the way they drove. Don't do that!~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My 98 Caravan has 135,000 miles on it and I intend to drive it until it can't be driven! I don't take trips in it but I do drive 40 miles roundtrip each day to work. DD's boyfriend's dad knows a lot about cars and he has done some repairs on it---new water pump, fixed a window that got stuck in the down position, oil changes, etc.

My van has a slight oil leak but it has for a few years now. The oil light comes on sometimes but DD's boyfriend's dad says its just a bad sensor and isn't anything to worry about. Electrically it goes a little crazy sometimes----the gas gauge doesn't always work right, for example, but I just keep track of how many miles I've gone and fill up accordingly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I drove a 1990 Mitsubishi SUV for 12 years (bought new, when I was REALLY stupid) and it had over 230,000 miles on it when it finally gave up the ghost (engine overheated, warped heads). I currently drive a 2010 Toyota SUV that I plan to drive at least as long as the other SUV, especially since I now have a short, five-mile commute to work and the kids no longer have to be driven around. I think my cars last so long because I NEVER miss an oil change.
    Totally debt free since January 2011.
    Fully funded Emergency Fund complete December 12, 2011! Yeah!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

my 86 ford ranger had almost 400,000 hard miles on it before we had a new motor put in it. We spent $3500 on the motor and have plans on it lasting a long time. our 86 astro van bit the dust last year with 300,000 miles on it. Now i am driving a 91 astro van that we bought for $50 put $3000 in a motor and now i have over 130,000 on the new motor with no signs of stopping. My dh truck i dont know how many miles it has on it, it is an 87 and he bought it used 2 years ago. we havent done any work on it at all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a 2001 four door 4X4 Ford truck. We bought it used in 2001.

So it is a bit over 10 years old and we have had it a 3 months short of 10 years.

Not sure what the mileage is

We have had to replace the front axel.
    "Everyday as your walking down the street, everybody that you meet has an original point of view" -Arthur PBS

Imagine - Wife of 20 years to Hubby
    Mom to Buddy (son 17) and Little Miss ( daughter 13)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

At the risk of jinxing as well, my car is 1993 Honda Accord and over 200k. In the past school year I had to replace all things overheating-related costing about 1k. I couldn't buy a decent car for 1k so for me its worth it.

The car has duct tape. It has dents, scratches, but is road-safe and functional. It is not loud, smokey, and does not backfire. Its a little rattly but I was told that's just due to its age. It doesn't have AC, the speakers do not work despite troubleshooting from friends (I am not going to pay to have that fixed) and one of the back windows wont go back up if you roll it too far down without fighting and fighting with it for a long time with 2 people. None of these are critical to me. AC would be nice.

At this time I do not have enough money saved for a newer car so its fix this or go without. I'm not willing to go without.

I'll put money into this car until the mechanics advise strongly against it. Hopefully by then my credit card debt is gone and my EF is padded up higher. If not, its a car payment again, I'm sorry to say.
    "If you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, march down there and light it yourself."

Car loan (ugh, again!)
    Husband's debt to work on, mine is gone except car loan. w00t!

Yah, I suck at this money stuff, I know. That's why I'm here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a 2002 Chrysler Town and Country with about 90K miles on it. When we got down here I busted out the sideview mirror backing out of a parking garage. We were planning on not using it anway so we just put it under our car port and took the insurance off of it so it's not getting driven. I do this a lot, especially when the man deploys. It saves a lot. Our payments on my van our 144.90. I bought it used in 2008.

We also have a 2005 Toyota Corolla with about the same amount of miles on it. It's paid for, but we bought it new in 2004 and had a 383 car payment with it. I was glad to see that sucker go. It was a total lemon when we first got it but after the first year it started to behave better.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast