Zojirushi Bread Machine Test
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Zojirushi Bread Machine Test

For anyone who is interested in how much it costs to bake a loaf of bread in a Zojirushi X-20 Bread Machine...

I made a loaf of bread in my bread machine today, with the Watt-A-Meter attached, so I could tell someone on another message board how much it cost to make AND bake a loaf of bread in the Zo. Since it's a much smaller appliance than a regular oven, it should use considerably less energy.

FYI: 2-cents, using .35 KWH. Naturally, most of the cost is in the heat it takes for baking, which happens to be a very long process in the Zo. On the BASIC setting, it bakes 62-67 minutes.

It didn't show 1-cent until it was baking, so using it to mix your dough will cost less than 1-cent.

My next test is to attach the Watt-A-Meter to my Sharp Convection/Microwave Oven and see how much it costs to bake a loaf in there. It takes 20-minutes for one loaf, and 25-minutes for 2 loaves and NO preheating necessary. I hope it is less expensive to use my Sharp because I never bake in my bread machine. I prefer baking outside of the bread machine because I have a lot more options.

So one mystery down, one to go........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was wondering the cost of homemade bread and have never gotten around to figuring it out. My family loves homemade bread more than store bought, and I feel it's healthier. I do use the breadmaker to mix the dough. It's so much easier!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know Grainlady grinds her own wheat into flour, but it may help others to calculate what a basic loaf of bread costs by costing out this recipe, based on a 5 lb bag of flour., Bread Machine Mix for White Bread (Oamc) - 264998 - Recipezaar

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To continue the cost test...

I baked two loaves of yeast bread in my Sharp Convection/Microwave oven today.

.03-cents
    .49 KW

So it's less expensive to bake two loaves in the Sharp Convection/Microwave Oven than to bake one loaf in the Zojirushi Bread Machine. Another plus, I don't have holes in the loaves from the paddles.