No Knead White Bread... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Made this today and it turned out really good! I think my oven might be a bit off and next time I will probably bake it just a little longer but it is really tasty. Easy and smelled so good when baking......Thanks for sharing this recipe! It is a keeper for me!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Shelli_wnj View Post
    Saule, I am sure I measured correctly, and I did let it mix well, but not at intervals - meaning I put the flour in all at once, then let it mix for 3 or 4 minutes in the kitchen aid. Maybe I will try once more adding the flour in a little at a time. Thank you!
    LOL I too usually just dump everything into my mixer when making stuff but I know that breads are special and will generally flop if I do the dump and go method. Try the recipe again but follow the instructions to a T and report back! Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm trying this now but am having trouble getting it to rise. I've got it on a heating pad set to medium on my kitchen counter, but the sides of the bowl are cold . . . I just wrapped the heating pad around the bowl so we'll see if it helps.

I've never made bread before and this is my January homesteading challenge. I hope I can get it right

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I put mine in a cooler with a large mason jar filled with boiling water wrapped in a towel because my kitchen is cold this time of year. Hope it turns out well for you. I love it and will make again on Saturday.
    Bridge
    My Food Diary-- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/xempress
    FV Exercise Challenge-- http://sdrv.ms/13tZfBX

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Kyfirestorm View Post
    I'm trying this now but am having trouble getting it to rise. I've got it on a heating pad set to medium on my kitchen counter, but the sides of the bowl are cold . . . I just wrapped the heating pad around the bowl so we'll see if it helps.

I've never made bread before and this is my January homesteading challenge. I hope I can get it right
    Hope it works out for ya cause this bread is YUMMY!

Next time try this:
    Set the oven to the lowest temperature, then turn it off after a few minutes. I have also used the microwave if my oven is already occupied...I just nuke a cup of water for 1-2 minutes and then place the covered dough to rise in the nuker with the cup of water. I'm also a fan of spraying plastic wrap and loosely placing that over the dough bowl instead of a towel.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was planning on baking two loaves of this tomorrow but Greebo came home with a loaf of artisan bread tonight. I don't know if I should be thrilled or not! LOL
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default It worked, finally :D

I figured out a few things this morning. First off, keeping the house super cool helps my utility bill but isn't very good for rising dough!

I finally pushed the heating pad up around the sides of the bowl and wrapped a towel around the entire thing and my dough proceeded to rise VERY quickly after that. When I stirred it down and transferred it over to the loaf pans I did the same thing and they rose perfectly.

The only other issue I had was it was HORRIBLY salty . . . so I told my mother-in-law (after I delivered her loaf) that next time I'm going to put 1 Tablespoon in instead of 2 . . . just re-checked the recipe and saw that I messed up BIG TIME because I somehow read 2 tablespoons of salt and 1 tablespoon of sugar!!!! OMG no wonder it was salty.

That'll teach me to try a new skill with only 2 hours of sleep
    Last edited by Kyfirestorm; 01-11-2011 at 07:40 PM. Reason: because my day just keep flubbing up :D

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How great that you are all having such wonderful success with the bread. In terms of rising, if you have the time, let the bread rise in a somewhat cooler environment. The longer rise helps develop the flavor. I will let mine rise overnight in the fridge - I reduce the amount of yeast when I know that I am doing this. It will slowly rise even in the fridge, so I promise it will rise in your cool and frugal houses.

If you are interested in trying out the no knead bread that is a bit more like kneaded bread, check out these recipes. I've not made the second one, but really like the suggestion of parchment paper to help transfer the dough.
    Zurie's Overnight No-Knead Bread Recipe - Food.com - 196201
    Almost No-Knead Bread 2.0 Recipe - Food.com - 290761

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made a second attempt tonight (with the CORRECT sugar/salt amounts, lol) and it's absolutely perfect. I just enjoyed a buttery slice and I WILL be making more bread nowadays!

Quote Originally Posted by Saule View Post
    How great that you are all having such wonderful success with the bread. In terms of rising, if you have the time, let the bread rise in a somewhat cooler environment. The longer rise helps develop the flavor. I will let mine rise overnight in the fridge - I reduce the amount of yeast when I know that I am doing this. It will slowly rise even in the fridge, so I promise it will rise in your cool and frugal houses.

If you are interested in trying out the no knead bread that is a bit more like kneaded bread, check out these recipes. I've not made the second one, but really like the suggestion of parchment paper to help transfer the dough.
    Zurie's Overnight No-Knead Bread Recipe - Food.com - 196201
    Almost No-Knead Bread 2.0 Recipe - Food.com - 290761
    Saule, I'll definitely be trying those recipes too! Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd like to give this a try! Which KA attachment are you using? Doesn't seem like the dough hook would be appropriate here, so maybe the paddle?

100% Debt Free.... home, car & credit cards.
    Blogging the simple life at: www.sageandsimple.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use the regular paddle attachment when I make this.
    Bridge
    My Food Diary-- http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/xempress
    FV Exercise Challenge-- http://sdrv.ms/13tZfBX

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by bridge View Post
    I use the regular paddle attachment when I make this.

Same here!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, I finally got the chance to make the recipe last night. All done in my mixer with the paddle attachment. I did add a little extra yeast as mine is starting to age and I think that was one o f my downfalls. The other I believe was not incorporating all of the flour (white whole wheat and AP). I didn't add the last cup because it already looked like a good cake batter consistency.

The results were sunken loaves. Both of them. The sides are high and the middles are low.

However...

The texture of the crumb is very moist and chewy and the flavor is wonderful. I am able to slice it "upside down" as the top crust is a bit harder and the slices are the equivalent in size to half a slice of store bought bread.

I'll definitely be making this again when these two loaves are finished.
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

lll
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm looking forward to trying this. Thanks for the recipe. I have another loaf in the oven now and wish I saw this recipe first. I'll try this next time I make bread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Ceashels View Post
    Well, I finally got the chance to make the recipe last night. All done in my mixer with the paddle attachment. I did add a little extra yeast as mine is starting to age and I think that was one o f my downfalls. The other I believe was not incorporating all of the flour (white whole wheat and AP). I didn't add the last cup because it already looked like a good cake batter consistency.

The results were sunken loaves. Both of them. The sides are high and the middles are low.

However...

The texture of the crumb is very moist and chewy and the flavor is wonderful. I am able to slice it "upside down" as the top crust is a bit harder and the slices are the equivalent in size to half a slice of store bought bread.

I'll definitely be making this again when these two loaves are finished.
    This sounds to me as if the dough was overrisen. You added more yeast and you might not have needed it. Or the dough was just on the counter too long before going into the oven.

It is important to let the flours incorporate fully, and whole wheat flour needs a longer time to hydrate fully - the bran in it (why it's brown) is tougher than the inside grain, and so it just takes longer to fully soften. You are better off using a cooler temperature to let it fully hydrate and rise. Too warm a temperature will make it rise too fast, and that can lead to collapse as well.

I'm glad it tasted good, you are on the right path, we just need to tweak your techique a little bit!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast