5 oz. Stone ground whole wheat flour
    .3 oz. Salt
    .15 oz. Instant yeast
    1.05 oz. Honey
    .75 oz. Butter
    2.0 oz. Milk
    6.3 oz. Filtered water

Directions:

1. Combine milk, water, honey and butter in small saucepan. Heat over low heat and stir until butter melts and honey dissolves. Cool to lukewarm (less than 110 F).

2. In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients and thoroughly blend together.

3. Add lukewarm milk mixture and water to flour. Attach bowl and dough hook. Turn to speed 2 and mix 6 minutes.

4. Remove from bowl and knead to shape into a ball, then place dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about an hour.

5. Divide dough into 2 oz. portions, shape into balls and let rest covered for 5 minutes. With a rolling pin, roll out each ball into a 5” disk, taking care to keep even thickness. Let disk rest on surface for 2-3 minutes to retain its shape (they want to shrink), then place on sheet pan lined with parchment paper and dusted with cornmeal. Dock each disk with a dough docker or with a fork, then cover for 20-30 minutes to rise. Pre heat oven to 400F.

6. Brush top of disks with warm milk or egg wash and sprinkle with oatmeal flakes (optional). Bake for 13 minutes until they just start to get golden brown. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.

7. After the thins have fully cooled, slice in half then bag for the freezer. Keep well for up to two weeks. Defrost in microwave on high for 15 seconds.

Baker's Note: I bake a LOT, so I get my parchment paper at GFS, 50 sheets for $3.50 +/-. They are full size sheets that I just fold to fit in the Winco 2/3 size sheet pans(16"x22") that I use in my standard 30" oven. I also buy Instant Yeast in 1# vacuum packed units from GFS for about $3.25. 1# of yeast will make about 100 loaves of bread. I use about 2# of yeast each year, and have started buying it at Sam's Club for $4.25 for 2#. I keep 4 oz. in the fridge, and the rest in an airtight jar in the freezer. Instant yeast will last about 2 years in the freezer is properly packed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

These look great! And the sandwich thins are so darn expensive to buy.

Can you use regular yeast for this recipe? If so, would there be any changes I'd need to make?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    These look great! And the sandwich thins are so darn expensive to buy.

Can you use regular yeast for this recipe? If so, would there be any changes I'd need to make?
    Yes, you can use Active Dry Yeast. Just take a portion of the water to use to activate your yeast.

For an explanation of the different types of yeast, go here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks! It appears I've been using instant yeast and didn't know it. I buy it in bulk at a food co-op and it's not labeled as instant yeast, but the description in your link jogged my memory. I had quit making bread for quite a few years and started again a few years ago. I remember now that the yeast used years ago was different than what I use now. My current yeast is much finer.

So it appears I'm good to go with your recipe! I'm excited! Thanks for sharing, and for helping me sort out the yeast issue.
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Those look wonderful!
    Sept No Spend Days - 11 /20
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 234 /365
    2014 Sept Gas Challenge - $68.50 / $120
    Sept Keep Fit - 1600 min / 900 min

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Thanks! It appears I've been using instant yeast and didn't know it. I buy it in bulk at a food co-op and it's not labeled as instant yeast, but the description in your link jogged my memory. I had quit making bread for quite a few years and started again a few years ago. I remember now that the yeast used years ago was different than what I use now. My current yeast is much finer.

So it appears I'm good to go with your recipe! I'm excited! Thanks for sharing, and for helping me sort out the yeast issue.
    Active Dry yeast that requires proofing with warm water and sugar is fine for making any kind of bread. It actually imparts the yeast flavor into the bread, which some people like, and does take longer for the dough to proof. For me, I don't want any taste in my breads that I have not introduced with my own ingredients, and I don't personally care for the taste or smell of yeast. If I want slow fermentation of my dough, I reduce the yeast volume and increase the time, much like is done with no-knead bread dough, but that's another whole discussion all by itself. I'll post some of those pics the next time I make no-knead bread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OH YUM!

Might have to try these!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

to be honest, I never heard of sandwich thins. I checked a few places and they are expensive in the store. Now....your pics makes me want to make some too. I love the pics!!! So I will be trying this as well. You said that you bake all the time. Is this a recipe that you recommend for a beginner.....first try at making bread?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sinopa27 View Post
    to be honest, I never heard of sandwich thins. I checked a few places and they are expensive in the store. Now....your pics makes me want to make some too. I love the pics!!! So I will be trying this as well. You said that you bake all the time. Is this a recipe that you recommend for a beginner.....first try at making bread?
    For a beginner I usually recommend French Bread, which is just flour, water, salt & yeast, and is what is called a lean dough because there is no fat in the formula (recipe). I also recommend getting an inexpensive digital scale and weigh all of your ingredients. This insures that the weight of the ingredients is always the same (repeatability), regardless of what the weather deals to you in the humidity category. If you follow my formulas and directions, you can be pretty well assured of success.

The most important thing is to not get frustrated if the first loaf is not pretty. It takes time to learn to work with the dough, and is no different than any other skills learned in life. Regardless of the looks, the bread will taste just fine. Also, ALWAYS let your bread cool to room temperature before slicing it, or you may have the loaf collapse and become gummy. The cooling time gelatinizes the crumb and wick the excess moisture out through the crust.

Here is my first attempt at making hot dog and burger buns. It proves that I learned some lessons teh hard way. LOL Not pretty, but they tasted fine. Even the dog liked them.

This was the very next batch the following morning...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Beautiful baby, beautiful!