Grandma's white bread
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Grandma's white bread

Grandma's white bread

Recipe Description
    a tried and true bread recipe that has been used for 3 generations in my family
    Preparation Steps:
    pre heat oven to 150 F. turn off.
    Level of Difficulty:
    Easy
    Time Needed:Ingredients:
    2 C. warm water
    2/3 c. white sugar
    1 1/2 T. active dry yeast
    1 1/2 t. salt
    1/4 c. oil
    6 c. flour
    Serves:Directions:
    Combine warm water and sugar. Stir until all sugar is disolved. Add yeast by sprinkling over the top of the water. Place in warm oven for 10 to 15 min. Take out of oven and add salt and oil. Slowly add in flour, no more than a cup at a time. (the last 1 to 2 cups I usually add by turning dough out on to my baking board, and kneading in about 1/3C. at a time.) Once it is completely mixed coat the inside of your bowl with cooking oil, place dough in bowl and turn to coat all sides of the dough with oil. Place dough in a warm draft free place. ( I usually re warm my oven turn off and place dough back in the oven.) Let rise double in size (usually about another 30 min). Place in oiled pans, let raise to top of pan... Bake for 30 min @ 350F.
    **Original recipe states that it will make 2 loaves if placed in 9 x 5 loaf pans.** My bread pans are a little smaller and I always double the above recipe, and make 6 loaves.
    I bake 1 or 2 the day I make it. The rest go in my freezer after being covered in press n seal. When I am ready to bake it, take it out of freezer, place in warmed oven and let proof. When ready, bake as previously stated.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! Thank you! I really needed a big batch bread recipe that was easy like this. Bread prices are killing me, even the day old and outlet breads are getting beyond my budget. I'm so going to try this.

Thanks for posting!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Polly, I hope you enjoy it, I make a double batch at a time because with my work schedule, I don't always have time to make it. This way, hubbs can throw it in the ove to rise, before I get home, and it is ready to bake (or he can bake it) before I get home. So it works great, I Hate store bought bread. And it is so very expensive.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my gosh yes!

I like that I can make these up and have them like frozen dough that you get at the store. It would make things super convenient for days when I'm feeling under the weather.

Do you ever use this dough for things like pizza, calzones, or cinnamon rolls?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for posting! I need to dust off my mom's recipe. I think it's pretty much the same, except hers makes five loaves. I like the idea of using oil instead of Crisco.

I'm sure you could use the dough for pizzas and other things. I have a whole cookbook of how to use frozen bread dough and it's amazing what all you can do with it.

My mom used to make caramel rolls with the store-bought frozen dough. I don't have a recipe, just a method. Haven't made them in years. They're just too tasty!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Would you care to share your method? I'm always looking for new ways to excite my guys taste buds and stay within budget.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Uh-oh.

I'll take a stab at it. I haven't made these in a long time, so I hope I don't forget anything.

Thaw bread dough. I think you let it rise, then punch it down and roll/pat/pull it out into a rectangle. Spread with butter and brown sugar, sprinkle with cinnamon, and sprinkle with chopped nuts, if desired. Roll up jelly roll style.

For the caramel, melt butter and brown sugar in your baking pan. We always did this directly on the stove burner, but use very low heat and keep stirring it. When it's all melted and the sugar has dissolved, sprinkle with chopped nuts if desired.

Once that's ready, slice the roll of dough using dental floss or a thread. Place flat side down in pan with caramel in it.

I ~think~ we let them rise again, then baked till browned on top. Then place a sheet cake pan or something with a rim around it over the pan with the rolls in, and carefully flip the whole works into the sheet cake pan while the rolls are still hot.

I hope all of that is right.

The final step is to stand back to avoid being trampled when your family figures out there are hot fresh caramel rolls to be had.
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

pollypurebred39, I made your bread yesterday and it was very yummy! Even my picking daughter ate it and believe me that's a compliment, lol. I'll be keeping this one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oops! I actually meant uniwolf....I made your bread recipe. geez, that's what I get for trying to do too many things at once! Sorry about that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

mystypooh- I am soooo glad that you enjoyed it, Polly, I use it for making cinnamon rolls, although I have never tried it for pizza. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I think I would cut the sugar just a bit though if I were planning on making pizza dough with it.
    When I make cinnamon rolls, following with the family method take sweetened condensed milk, 1 can, mix with 1/2 c. sifted powdered sugar, mix well. Cook on med low heat stirring continually until it boils and you can stir the boil down. Remove from heat and immediatly pour over the top of the rolls. We also put butter and brown sugar on the bottom of the pan before placing the rolls in.
    Sorry that is probably really jumbled if you want clearer directions please PM me. To many things on my mind this morning. Sorry.
    Last edited by Uniwolf; 01-16-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: change word

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Spirit Deer; I LOVE nuts in them, not something that I usually think of doing though, growing up we usually didn't even have them in the house other than peanuts, and peanut butter. My brother is deathly allergic to tree nuts of any kind, and mom flat refused to even allow them in the house. Hubbs will come in the kitchen every once in a while with a bag of nuts out of the pantry and be so pitiful and go "pllllllleeeeeaaaassssseeeee" he's a dork.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's funny!

Nuts keep indefinitely in the freezer, so I buy then when they're on sale and just store in the freezer. We always have a bunch on hand but I forget to use them. I don't actually bake much anymore, because that leads to eating.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thank you so much for sharing this recipe!!! i will be making this one for sure!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

How much water and sugar and yeast??