Early headstart vent
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Early headstart vent

We got declined from early headstart for being overincome.
    It's a disappointment to me because they have an excellent program that ds could benefit from. I feel penalized for having more money even though my son really needs their resources.

Our family service coordinator is trying her best to get our time on the waiting list to move more quickly. He is supposed to be a priority for the program based on his delays, but they are a federal program and have guidelines to follow.

Ds can start a special ed preschool in the Fall, but geesh..we're almost a year from then. :-(

I think I am just sad at the lack of resources in our area.

For now, I am doing preschool parent co-ops. They are wonderful programs, but not the best option for my son.

Well thats my rant. Some days are just so frustrating.

Sara

FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob Jerseygirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is a huge disappointment. Have you looked into the state early intervention program-or is this part of it? I always found that even their Mommy and Me classes were great because they could gear it toward individual needs. They also provided a lot of resource material and information. I know it is terribly frustrating but keep after the state, board of ed and even county health services. You can also try calling any local schools for the handicapped. Even if it isn't what they specialize in, many times they can turn you on to the resource that you need. Best of luck--

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Arrow

Early Headstart was a resource suggested to me from our local EI. :-( We are currently enrolled in two mommy and me classes. It is tough though. Much of the activities are structured, although primarily parent guided. He has a tough time with structure. (ex: circle time) I am sticking it out though.
    I will look into if there are any local schools for the handicapped, but I think in this small town they are placed into "regular"(NT)classrooms.
    Thanks for replying.
    Some days I just feel like screaming out my window. *LOL*
    I am happy that there are federal programs, but I truly wish they would consider that not everyone is at poverty level.
    Our EI here just isn't as resourceful as I had hoped. I am sure they are great for the size of our city. (45K population). I am just so terribly frustrated over waiting and rejection. :-(
    EI is even low on speech pathologists. (one day per week for 40 minutes) I have consulted with a private pathologist, so we may go that route. It's quite costly, but I am willing to do what is best overall.

Thanks for listening to me rant. It does me tremendous good to get it all out. :-)

Sara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well ladies, my persistence paid off. I bugged and bugged and bugged the school supervisor, the family service coordinator, and director of early headstart and my son was accepted into early headstart today.

I got a direct referral from the school supervisor after having a little discussion with her about my son getting services.

All I can say is please anyone out there- Do not give up if you get declined for a service.

Make some friends to help you advocate and persist.
    Apparently, they are able to "work the numbers' if they really want to.

I am so happy about this.
    Sara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thumbs up

Sara, that is wonderful! I'm so happy for your son, I hope he has a great time at headstart.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Arrow

We had our first meeting with early headstart. They have a great program. They will come to the house for one home visit per week and then twice a week we attend a playgroup. I am so happy becuase the center is only a hop from where we'll be moving later this month. I am so thankful that we are able to be in this program.

Sara

On a sidenote, my son said go go. This is progress. I am catching him saying little words so much more often now. I cherish every single word~
    We're also starting speech therapy twice weekly vs once weekly.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sara, that is wonderful! I'm sure your son will love going to "School".

FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob Jerseygirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congrats, you need to celebrate even the little accomplishments. Every new word is a step forward--keep lists of his new words-it will help you realize the constant movement forward, even when you get frustrated, and it will help you and the therapists keep the old words in conversational use even as he picks up new ones. Best of luck, I always loved the play groups, always left them feeling positive.