College and Special Needs
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default College and Special Needs

Our daughter is 17 and a senior in high school. She was diagnosed with Asperger's about 4 yrs. ago along with severe depression. She takes meds and sees a counselor.

I was wondering if anyone has a child with needs who has gone off to college. While I understand this is what she wants--she's talking about going off to a large metro area to a school that costs over $25,000 a year. She's unable to grasp the reality of the situation.

Her counselor is working with her but she has it in her head that she is going to be a famous actress/singer and make alot of money. Nothing like dreams and reality colliding.
    Lisa
    Wife to Shawn ('88)
    Mom to Megan ('90), Charlie ('02) & Cassie ('05)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can the counselor do some career testing and personality testing with her? Maybe that would help her become somewhat more realistic about her goals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Also, when I attended college, although it was a private smaller one, there were people there with ADD, ADHD, dyslexia, etc. and yes, it was a bit harder for them, there were people from the college to help with those special needs. Also, could your child do some type of hands on job for a day or two, to see if this is what she wants. Maybe a local threatre group, os something like that. Good luck.
    taking one day at a time, trying to get rid of debt!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know what to tell you. She would be better off at a smaller school. Does she have a 504 plan? Check to see if it will be followed in college. Lots of kids have huge dreams. Making those with Asbergers face reality is very difficult. Hopefully her councelor will be of assistance. I think it is great she wants to go to college and has dreams. Mabe things will be put into perspective and she can follow them out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi -- I remember reading this article on the NY Times website and looked up the link --

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/05/ed...646f25&ei=5070

(you might have to register to get to the story -- it is about students with Asperger's who attend college and the kind of support that they need)

Best wishes to you and your daughter --

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Most children with disabilities do not get the same modifications they did in high school.....or that is rule in Texas.
    They will be required to do the same work as the other students, but they can have a tutor, a recorder for classes, a quiet place to test, etc.
    **The only reason I know this is because I just sat through a staff inservice about special education students entering college.***

FV Buddy aka Kellie Bob Jerseygirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ours is full blown autism so college is out for him. I would suggest a visit to the campus she wants to attend,(while you stay in a very nearby hotel with your cel phone charged and a map of campus close) let her stay in the dorm and have to navigate the classes, dining hall and everything a student has to do. One of two things are likely to happen, either she will realize that it is not scheduled and disiplined enough for her and she can't function in the caos of college and city life, she doesn't like sharing a room with a stranger who plays lousy music etc, or you will see that she can do it and should try. best wishes, I can't imagine how hard this is.