bar soap vs. body wash - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quality does make a difference. If I use a cheap bar soap, I have to use more lotion. I've found that Dr. Bronner's liquid soap is economical in the long run. A few drops makes a huge amount of lather and its all natural so I don't mind paying 5 bucks or so for an 8oz bottle. It can be diluted for a natural house cleaner too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bar soap is much cheaper (here anyway) and it is more eco-friendly also. No plastic bottles to throw away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What I'm using is a Dove bar soap that contains 1/4 moisturiser lotion but it is not that expensive though and the results for my skin is really great. I can feel the lotion even though it is a bit harder to wash it out of my body!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We use bar soap it's much cheaper and lasts longer here.
    Loving Wife to Ken 29 yrs & 3 sons
    My furbaby: /Sparky paw:Jack Russel,Beagle,Dashaund mix
    Change jar ?

Seek ye first the kingdom of God & he will give you your hearts desires. (Matt 6:33)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH uses Dr. Bonner and dilutes it to about 1/2 water....

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use both bar soap & body washes/shower gels for when I'm feeling 'fruity' lol. A lot of the time bar soap dries out my skin but I always use lotion after. Have yet to find one product that can make me feel clean yet moisturized - bar or liquid. Since its just me using it...they last a long time. BF is very frugal with his body wash as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made body wash for Christmas presents. I am sure I found the recipe, here, on FV.
    Body Wash (my way/not the original recipe)
    A whole bottle of shampoo
    2/3 c water
    6 tbsp salt (I used table or sea salt)
    Mix all in a bowl, pour back into bottle. There will be wash leftover, which I put in a empty peanut butter jar. Labels on shampoo can be pulled off. First batch I made I took off labels and made my own & tied label on with a ribbon. Today, I used the shampoo label, using only the part with the kind of scent. I bought Suave shampoo for 79c and this week VO5 is on sale for 69c! I checked my 1st bottles made, today. It has set up, kinda like runny jello, some scents more than others. Go figure. I have used it twice & it's A-OK!
    Ali

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Grainlady View Post
    For you frugal zealots, the ultimate inexpensive bar of bath soap is an 80-cent bar of ZOTE. We cut the 14.1-ounce bar into 1/2 to 3/4-inch slices (7-8 slices) and use it in the shower. It's a little drying in the winter, so we use moisturizing bars in the winter, but otherwise it works well. I also like the citronella scent!
    We use ZOTE to hand wash clothes in mexico. It gets whites super bright!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We use body wash but I dilute it 1/2 and 1/2 with water. (Like everything else, lol) Maybe I'll try adding the salt and see if it stretches further. If I buy bar soap the kids turns to goo in the dish.
    Mom to Emma, Spencer, Connor, Lily,Fletcher, Amelia and Adeline.

Mortgage $0
    EF 3 mo income barring
    anymore emergencies

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is not all that frugal, but I was eavesdropping on a conversation between two women at WM's soap/body wash area. One was telling the other one that she had used this one type of Olay soap and hardly even has to use lotions anymore. I have such dry skin, it peaked my interest. So after they had gone, I grabbed a package of it.

Oh, MY. This stuff is NICE. VERY moisturizing, has a nice light scent, and yet it does NOT fall apart/get mushy in the shower like so many moisturizing soaps do. I am in LOVE with this stuff. DH likes it even better than me. It's better than any of those moisturizing body washes even....even the cream-oil ones, etc.

If I buy a big multi-pack at WM's prices, it comes out to about $1.85 a bar. I'm sued to paying .33 a bar for Ivory, so this is majorly high for me. But Ivory dries me out so badly.

The Olay bars all have white boxes, with a different color on them---blue, purple, yellow. The one I love is the one with yellow on it. WONDERFUL!
    ______
    Cheryl

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance, but by our disposition." -------Martha Washington

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like to SCRUB and you cannot really do that with those poof-thingies so I like Dove in winter and Zest in summer with a washcloth. My only problem is my face - I'm 54 and have had mild acne/rosacea for over 40 years. Nothing I use seems to help - even my dermatologist is mystified since I'm 2 years post-menopausal. (I like to think that acne makes me look younger somehow )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm a body wash person, but that's because I LOVE lots of lather. I've been thinking recently about how to cut down the cost (but not the bubbles!)

Love the idea about the foaming soap dispenser, totally going to try that. That, and the yellow Olay bar soap.

Those of you that have made your own body wash from bar soap, how foamy / lathery is it? Would a lather lover be disappointed?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What is the commercial that says bar soap leaves a film and body wash doesn't?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I buy body wash for a couple of reasons. First of all, I learned from the Cosmetics Cop that the stuff that holds the soap into a bar also clogs your pores. I have mild acne on occasion, sometimes on my shoulders or chest, so I don't really like that.

Also, it's a real mess to clean up after.

After reading this, perhaps I should reconsider, if I can find a soap dish that won't make me curse the inventor of bar soaps.

Also, over here, you can get soap made from olive oil. I'm not sure of the price but they last forever. When I was using it in the States, after a friend sent some to us, I could even wash my face with it and not break out. It was homemade by our friend's family from olives they raise themselves. I'd have to try what I find in the store to see if it worked as well on my face or not, but hopefully it will. I also don't remember it being too messy, so I might just get that next.
    "You have to invite Jesus into your heart."

"Why? Is He a vampire?"

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lightbulb I've recently switched back to using bar soap & here's why...

First of all, im deffo with some of the other people who have talked about how their kids tend to just "tear it up" so to speak with the liquid soap, they have ZERO sense of conservation or cost, and im sure when I was a kid... I was probably the same way. Oh well, what goes around comes around I guess lol. Anyway oddly enough, it wasn't even my kids that finally did me in, there's a girl that lives with my mom who is 30 now, so she should have a much better head on her shoulders than she does, but she's often over at our house and she will go through a half a bottle of dish soap in a day ( just to give an example ) of course, I still use liquid for my dishes, but I have to make sure if she is around, I only have a bottle out from the dollar store, not the good Dawn or Palmolive or whatnot. Anyway, she also does the same with ANYTHING she gets her hands on, liquid hand soap, laundry detergent, bleach, cleaning products.. EVERYTHING. Well, recently I was in the dollar general ( I think that was the dollar store I was in ) and I saw that they sell the Yardley English Lavendar bar soap, and of course it's only a dollar a bar. So I decided to go down to Ross and I got two REALLY NICE LOOKING bar soap dishes, I mean SUPER pretty and very expensive looking, one for $3.99 and one for $1.99 and put one in each bathroom, and put a bar of the Yardley in each. I have since notticed a HUGE difference in how long the bar is lasting vs how long a bottle of liquid would have lasted and it smells AMAZING! That's always been one of my fav soap scents anyway. Ive always prefered to use either Dove or Oil of Olay bar soap to wash the real personal/important areas anyway ( I don't know why ) but ive always felt like the bars do a better job of getting those areas really clean, and then don't over moisturize those spots either, so they dry better and seem to stay fresher feeling longer. However I did used to always use liquid soap for the rest of my body, and I have to admit I am a HUGE fan of the new Caress body wash called Evenly Gorgeous, as it also has gentle exfoliating beads in it as well, and since I tend to have somewhat sensitive skin ( but MOSTLY on my face more than anywhere else ) some of those more abrasive exfoilating washes are just a tad bit too rough, but that one isn't and it smells heavenly! So, i'll admit I still keep a bottle of that around, but to answer the original point, yes I have found bar soap to be WAY more economical and last longer. Either way you decide to go, just in case you weren't aware, you can also buy soaps and lotions and shampoos/conditions and such at places like Ross and Marshalls, and they usually have a REALLY REALLY good selection of VERY good quality, great smelling products to chose from for like a quarter of the cost that you would pay anywhere else.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast