Frugal Village Forums banner

Homemade Body Wash recipe...

54K views 43 replies 39 participants last post by  Lovemybliss 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
On another list I'm on, there was a discussion about frugality, and someone shared this recipe for homemade body wash. I wanted to share it, but was also wondering if anyone here made their own body wash, and how they make it.
Tracy Q.

Homemade Body Wash​

1 cup of Suave (whichever one smells best to you)
Amazon.com: SUAVE SHAMPOO WATERFALL MIST 15 OZ: Health & Personal Care@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21SKJ1ccT%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@21SKJ1ccT%2BL

½ cup water

3 tablespoons table salt or epsom salt
Amazon.com: Rite Aid Epsom Salt 64 oz (1.8 kg): Health & Personal Care@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/217NGK5796L.@@AMEPARAM@@217NGK5796L

Combine all the ingredients together and whisk it until it's kind of frothy. Pour into a recycled liquid soap container and voila! you have instant body wash at a fraction of the cost!

See less See more
#4 ·
thx for sharing. i have done stuff similar to that cuz after all shampoo is a thicker soap..sometimes. it should work with any shampoo u like.i also do this when u have a small bit of shampoo add some water or carbonated soda like a seltza and u weither have a bit more sudzy shampoo or a nice new body wash...w/o the soda for the wash.

#6 ·
I wonder if you can add baby oil/vegetable oil to make it moisturizing?

Reactions: EarthIncentives
#8 ·
Oh Thank you so much. I will be trying this one for sure. My teenager uses sooooooooooo much body soap. Its a constant battle with her.

#9 ·
We can do it!

I guess it comes down to buying the cheapest shampoo, diluting it with water and adding salt??? to make body wash, and maybe adding some baby oil or olive oil to make it more moisturizing, and putting it in a pump bottle.:ponder:
Right now, I think the Herbal Essences shampoo is the thickest, richest, best-smelling liquid-soap substance; and when bought with a FPC or with sales/coupons, it can be free or $1 per bottle, plus tax, so I'm going to try some of it to make a body wash, and see how things go.
I've also thought of shaving some bar soap with soap scraps, mixing it all with water, let it sit till soft, and then heating it up in a pot till it's melted, then adding some shampoo, and making a body wash with that.

I didn't know that salt was needed in the recipe. Thanks!

#31 ·
I guess it comes down to buying the cheapest shampoo, diluting it with water and adding salt??? to make body wash, and maybe adding some baby oil or olive oil to make it more moisturizing, and putting it in a pump bottle.:ponder:
Right now, I think the Herbal Essences shampoo is the thickest, richest, best-smelling liquid-soap substance; and when bought with a FPC or with sales/coupons, it can be free or $1 per bottle, plus tax, so I'm going to try some of it to make a body wash, and see how things go.
I've also thought of shaving some bar soap with soap scraps, mixing it all with water, let it sit till soft, and then heating it up in a pot till it's melted, then adding some shampoo, and making a body wash with that.

I didn't know that salt was needed in the recipe. Thanks!
I do this with dishwashing soap.... the kids like to use too much, so i dilute 50% add salt, from my experience, the salt thickens it back up. Shake well, and in a day or so, it's nice and thick again. Now that I got Dawn for .50 a bottle with coupon, I'll be doing that for SUPER UBER cheap dish soap.

~I've used shampoo for body wash in a few situations where I forgot to pack my body wash and hated it. It dries out my skin and makes me itch all day. :(
I make body wash with a grated moisturizing bar and water. One bar in liquid form lasts me three months.
I recommend using Olay shea butter bars, Dove or Dr. Bronners. ~
I have some great buys on Dove soap recently, like pennies a bar. We prefer liquid soap for hand washing overall, but if I do this.... melt it down, just like you do for laundry detergent.... you'd get an awful lot of hand soap and body wash. HMMm..... Need to think on this one a bit. I ssee LOTS of possibilities.

#10 ·
I also make body scrub using a similar recipe... table salt (I used about 1/4 cup per treatment) with enough cheap shampoo to make a paste. Apply paste to dry parts and rinse. Excellent to use on feet (heels and ankles), knees, elbows...where ever you have dry skin. I WOULD NOT recommend this for the face...the salt is too harsh. If you want to try a facial scrub, substitute granulated sugar for the salt. Just make sure the first time you use it, you are gentle to make sure your skin can tolerate it since some skin can be sensitive.

#11 · (Edited)
Oooooh I can't wait to try this. Thank you for sharing.

ETA: Ok I just made it using Suave Kiwi Lime Squeeze, epsom salt, & 1 tbs. of SSS Bath Oil. I will give this a try tomorrow evening and post my results here.

#14 ·
oh I am so glad that this thread popped up again - times are getting tighter so I will definitely do this great idea!! Mahalo again!!

#18 ·
We've tried this now a couple of times. I bought VO5 shampoo (it was the one on sale). I do think you have to be careful not to dilute too much. I did that to try to save more $$$, and it was way too runny. We use it up faster that way, and it's not as easy to use, so I'm going to just make it the way I have the recipe for because it'll be better.

Yesterday, while shopping at my local grocery store, they had V05 shampoo for 49 CENTS a bottle! I stocked up and bought 4 of them, so our bodywash for the next few months will be very inexpensive!!! :)

Tracy Q.

#19 ·
My friend got a case of Suave and doesn't use it. I thought of this homemade body wash recipe that you posted. ~~woo hoo~~

Reactions: Trishagirl
#22 ·
Glad this got bumped up - I bought the Suave shampoo but forgot to make it up - mahalo!!

#23 ·
i'm not sure of the use of the salt in this recipe but definitely shampoo can be used as a body wash - it has the same main ingredients. the same as dish soap and yes, even laundry detergent. Believe it or not, even BABY shampoo has pretty much the same ingredients here (why they call it mild for babies I will never know). A few of the ingredients are: Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl, and Tetrasodium EDTA and do you really want to know what those chemicals are?! Well I'm sure you can look them up.

A more natural approach: A simple sugar scrub does wonders (if you like scrubs). A mixture of coconut or olive oil, honey and oatmeal can make a nice and nourishing body wash. If you like, you can also add to or switch out the oil with whole milk. I know, it's crazy, but it actually gets you clean.

#24 ·
I'll have to check out how cheaply I can buy shampoo. I try to buy cheaper, but still good for the kids. For body wash I won't be quite as picky. I use Herbal Essences for them (Tresemme for me, but it's from the States-normally $10 a bottle over here).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.