Wanna help me decorate a camper for a teen?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Wanna help me decorate a camper for a teen?

We are putting a 24 foot camper in our yard for our 18 almost 19-year-old for a "home-away-from-home" for when he and dh are fighting or when ds is having "issues" and I'd like to decorate it as frugally as possible. I want it to be nice, but don't want to spend a fortune. I may use it also when the testosterone levels in this house get a bit too much for me! There's my dh and three sons and I'm the only female other than the beagle. Even my mini Doxie is male! It would be a nice refuge to just curl up with a good book and let them tear the house down or whatever! JK!

Anyway, the camper has two beds in the bedroom and we're tearing out the seating/bed thingie in the front and putting in a futon. Does anyone know what size sheets futons take? Is it the same as a regular bed? Full or twin? He will not have a stove, but has a sink in the kitchen area and will have a fridge (larger than a dorm-sized, but smaller than a standard one), microwave, coffee pot, hot plate, etc. He's probably going to have a wooden, fold up, tv tray to use as a table. We're going to put a small flat-screen tv on the wall. My parents are buying most of those things including the tv. My Mom has already gotten him an awesome vintage lamp with three shades and three lights on it to put in the living room. Sheets and comforters will come from our home and my parents' as we have a lot of these. Most other items will come from thrifts probably.

My ds likes video games, movies, and music so I'd like to incorporate those into the decorating scheme. Does anyone have any suggestions for frugal decorations and useful items? I'm using a torn, long-sleeved t-shirt from a favorite rock band of his to make a throw pillow cover or to cut and frame as art work (whichever would work best). I saved the shirt to use for a project like this. He wants to paint the walls white to make the space look bigger. I want to find some material and make the curtains myself.

Any cool ideas or have you seen anything cool for sale somewhere to use in the themes I mentioned? I don't mind making something if I have the skills to do so. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default My sister in law did this...

They took a 1970? camper and completely gutted it.. tore everything out....redid it and it is absolutely the cutest thing i have ever seen....she redid it using the 1970ish theme....but myself personally i do not know...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

what about smallish movie posters? for artwork? i think futon sheets are queen. i think.
    ~~ Missy ~~

Planting and raising an urban homestead in the middle of Downtown big city right at the foot of the Rocky Mountains!

Zone 5 Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

futon=full or queen sheets depends. Ask the boy?? Paper plates,plastic silverware.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Milk crates for extra storage, a foot locker, Cup hooks, extra throw pillows - most of that can be found at garage sales
    Kim - Single mom to one 14 year old High School and Competitive

7/14 - My savings is for saving, not for spending

Pound a week challenge: 1/25
    Grocery Challenge: 0/12
    Days not taking anything out of savings to live : 10/365
    New Roof: 0/$7500.00
    RePlumb 0/$3500

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's a 'guy' place... you know, fight with Dad or not he will be in there with his friends playing video games... his own bachelor pad.

Go with his fav. colors and build around that. Make sure he has the basics (curtains, towels, dishes, sheets) but eventually he will put his OWN touches on the place with pictures or posters.

~Curtains to keep others from peeking in - neutral, dark blue, black... anything but floral, pastels and anything else that screams "Mom picked them out"

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Val, If I put a camper in my driveway for my 21 year old, he'd never move away from home! LOL!

My oldest likes the modern look, like IKEA. If you've got an IKEA around you can find some mod/retro stuff there. It's easy to find budget friendly things there. They are great for organizers, most everything they sell is made for small spaces. My son is into the video games, computer stuff and movies too. I bet they'd get along real well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know what kind of camper you have or how old. But, check your walls..are they strong enuff to hold a TV? or even a push pin? Are you hooking it up to sewer? Do you live in town & are they ok with that? If you have winter..that would determine what kind of curtains plus you made need to insulate the windows. If the heat will be turned on--you will have condensation on the windows & that's a whole different story to talk about. ps..I will go to England or Ireland with you... Good Luck with your camper home!
    Ali

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Lee View Post
    I don't know what kind of camper you have or how old. But, check your walls..are they strong enuff to hold a TV? or even a push pin? Are you hooking it up to sewer? Do you live in town & are they ok with that? If you have winter..that would determine what kind of curtains plus you made need to insulate the windows. If the heat will be turned on--you will have condensation on the windows & that's a whole different story to talk about. ps..I will go to England or Ireland with you... Good Luck with your camper home!
    '70 something...can't remember at the moment...I'll have to check the walls...it would be a small tv though. It's going to have an electric toilet. Yes, we're in the city limits and as long as it's not a primary residence, we're good to go. We already have the electricity hookup. It has heating and air-conditioning. Condensation? Ugh! Pack your bags! LOL! I'm ready to go!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    Val, If I put a camper in my driveway for my 21 year old, he'd never move away from home! LOL!

My oldest likes the modern look, like IKEA. If you've got an IKEA around you can find some mod/retro stuff there. It's easy to find budget friendly things there. They are great for organizers, most everything they sell is made for small spaces. My son is into the video games, computer stuff and movies too. I bet they'd get along real well.
    No IKEA's around here! I've never even seen one, but I'd loved to go to one. I've heard a lot about them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like a lot of fun. Actual vynel records and colorful record covers would also look great on white walls. I would keep the decorating as simple as possible especially if you plan on using it as a refuge. Any chance of having a beanbag chair and lava lamp?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shoiji View Post
    Sounds like a lot of fun. Actual vynel records and colorful record covers would also look great on white walls. I would keep the decorating as simple as possible especially if you plan on using it as a refuge. Any chance of having a beanbag chair and lava lamp?
    That sounds cool! I love lava lamps and beanbag chairs. Middle ds has a lava lamp that he uses as a nightlight. It's got blue liquid and white blobs...very cool!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! Your son must be doing the "Happy Bachelorhood" dance! That is just way too awesome a solution. No doubt he can't wait...lol! And of course, you'll get the peace you need and the fun of decorating that camper!

Here's where I would start >> For pictures, I'd try to find a "theme" calendar. Ya know, the kind where all 12 of the pics sorta go together. Personally, I'd look for a calendar that had B&W city skyline scenes. One of the coolest and cheapest way to frame a picture is to get one of those "multi frame" frames, that hold nine same size pics. Then evenly cut a pic up in nine, all the same size pieces, and place in the nine openings. It is SO cool looking! And I guess you could use frames with less openings, but I do know the nine ones work best! But whatever size you pick, I'd make that the "focal" one, and arrange single pics around it somehow.

And since I just decorated my own 16 YO's ds room, my 1st thought would be to go with a black & white scheme. Young guys seem to like monochromatic ALOT. But throw in a "punch" of red, or other fave color with throw pillows, and with the bean bag suggstion too. My ds has deep red pleather pillows on his black, grey & white bed. And some of his wall pics have "just enough" red in them to tie it together. For the frames, if I didn't already have them, I would paint them black, but get my red in there also with a couple of them. Craft paint is really cheap. Also, you can get creative with alot of the scrap book papers that are out. I hit the thrift shop Saturday, and I found this really neat 12" x 12" white wooden, one drawer box. It has a tic tac toe board printed on the top, and inside the drawer, it had these metal pieces that almost look like chess pieces. I have no idea what to do with them (YET ), but to cover over the top, I came across a really cool piece of scrapbook paper ($.25) that is a black and grey night scene of a sillouhette of a bare tree, and a full moon in the background. A little modge-podge, and I got myself a great little accent piece for his room. He's seen the paper, but has no idea about the box. I can't wait to surprise him with this $2.25 goodie...lol! But you could also frame those scrapbook papers for some "original" art.

Another cool thing is shelves. Simple boards, again painted to match, easily personalizes a space to hold trophies, baseball caps, or anything he collects. Keeping things monochromatic will help the small area to "flow" and feel bigger.

And I know....I talked too much AGAIN!! But I can talk decorating ALL nite. I just love it, but sorry for chewing your ear! Anyway, do hope it helped some.

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia View Post
    Wow! Your son must be doing the "Happy Bachelorhood" dance! That is just way too awesome a solution. No doubt he can't wait...lol! And of course, you'll get the peace you need and the fun of decorating that camper!

Here's where I would start >> For pictures, I'd try to find a "theme" calendar. Ya know, the kind where all 12 of the pics sorta go together. Personally, I'd look for a calendar that had B&W city skyline scenes. One of the coolest and cheapest way to frame a picture is to get one of those "multi frame" frames, that hold nine same size pics. Then evenly cut a pic up in nine, all the same size pieces, and place in the nine openings. It is SO cool looking! And I guess you could use frames with less openings, but I do know the nine ones work best! But whatever size you pick, I'd make that the "focal" one, and arrange single pics around it somehow.

And since I just decorated my own 16 YO's ds room, my 1st thought would be to go with a black & white scheme. Young guys seem to like monochromatic ALOT. But throw in a "punch" of red, or other fave color with throw pillows, and with the bean bag suggstion too. My ds has deep red pleather pillows on his black, grey & white bed. And some of his wall pics have "just enough" red in them to tie it together. For the frames, if I didn't already have them, I would paint them black, but get my red in there also with a couple of them. Craft paint is really cheap. Also, you can get creative with alot of the scrap book papers that are out. I hit the thrift shop Saturday, and I found this really neat 12" x 12" white wooden, one drawer box. It has a tic tac toe board printed on the top, and inside the drawer, it had these metal pieces that almost look like chess pieces. I have no idea what to do with them (YET ), but to cover over the top, I came across a really cool piece of scrapbook paper ($.25) that is a black and grey night scene of a sillouhette of a bare tree, and a full moon in the background. A little modge-podge, and I got myself a great little accent piece for his room. He's seen the paper, but has no idea about the box. I can't wait to surprise him with this $2.25 goodie...lol! But you could also frame those scrapbook papers for some "original" art.

Another cool thing is shelves. Simple boards, again painted to match, easily personalizes a space to hold trophies, baseball caps, or anything he collects. Keeping things monochromatic will help the small area to "flow" and feel bigger.

And I know....I talked too much AGAIN!! But I can talk decorating ALL nite. I just love it, but sorry for chewing your ear! Anyway, do hope it helped some.

Theresa
    Nah! You didn't talk too much. I enjoyed reading it and love your ideas! When we moved into this house I decorated my son's room with black framed movie posters, a black movie camera desk lamp, a director's chair with my ds' name, movie reel black-n-white curtains, black comforters, red sheets, black-n-red furniture, a clacker on the wall, and a Hollywood Walk of Fame framed on the wall with his name on it, etc. It was sooooo fun decorating his room that way.