camping for the last time of the season
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default camping for the last time of the season

I'm heading to the Myles Standish State Forest this weekend in Plymouth Mass. Probably my last camping of the season.

I had a great camping year this year. I can't even count how many times I camped and or pitched a tent in my friends back yard after a night of hanging around the bonfire.

Great year and I'm already looking forward to next year!
    Judy

never loose site of the big picture

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Winter's the best time for camping, don't quit now!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you had fun. Labor Day weekend was my last trip out. I only got 9 days of camping in this summer but its better than nothing lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was thinking about going camping this weekend too, but at Harold Parker in Andover, MA... since every campground around here seems to close after Monday.

Have a great time!

I wanted to do a Thanksgiving camping trip - if I can find something open that is not under 4 feet of snow by then!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Have a great time!

We use to do alot of winter camping, in the snow, it was alot of fun. Now that we are older and get cold alot faster we dont do it anymore.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think we had our last trip in June. We have only 3 nights/500 miles travel this year. A pittance compared to last year's 40 night/9,000 miles.

I was thinking this morning Utah might make a good destination for next year...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by low-1 View Post
    Winter's the best time for camping, don't quit now!
    I wouldn't even know where to go to winter camp. In CT you can't really just pitch your tent anywhere.

years ago I had found a place up in VT where you Yurt camped and snow shoed. I would LOVE that and wouldn't you know the year I was committed to finally doing it the company stopped do it! I haven't found another place that does that sort of thing.

but you have sparked my interest so maybe I'll start looking around again.
    Judy

never loose site of the big picture

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugal is fun View Post
    I wouldn't even know where to go to winter camp. In CT you can't really just pitch your tent anywhere.

years ago I had found a place up in VT where you Yurt camped and snow shoed. I would LOVE that and wouldn't you know the year I was committed to finally doing it the company stopped do it! I haven't found another place that does that sort of thing.

but you have sparked my interest so maybe I'll start looking around again.
    I'm not really familiar with CT... In Canada, we have a lot of Crown Land, essentially undeveloped land set aside for recreational use by anyone, pretty much at any time. I know some of the states out west have BLM (Bureau of Land Management?) lands that are similar, as well as other public land. Would CT have something like that, or is it essentially all private land?

Even with private land, the impact or "footprint" on the land is much less in the winter than it is in the summer, perhaps you know someone with a few treed acres who wouldn't mind you setting up a tent and having a bonfire?

Seriously, the forest is a magical place in the winter...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Most BLM land is west of the Mississippi river. Dispersed camping is also available on some other public lands such as US Forest Service property and, I think, some state forest lands, depending on state. This topic comes up every so often on a camping board I frequent and the conclusion is always that it's darn difficult if not impossible to find dispersed camping areas in the eastern half of the US.

OTOH, up here a lot of people put up fish houses on frozen lakes and that's winter camping. Never mind that some of the fishing villages are so big they're laid out in grids with street names so the pizza guy knows where to deliver.

In our state, some state parks are open for camping all winter. Maybe there are some out east, too. Some also offer camper cabins all year so you don't have to tent it. Since a lot of them also have groomed snowmobile, snowshoe, x-country ski, and sled dog trails, it works out nicely for those who want to stay in the park and enjoy outdoor winter recreation.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_V View Post
    I was thinking about going camping this weekend too, but at Harold Parker in Andover, MA... since every campground around here seems to close after Monday.

Have a great time!

I wanted to do a Thanksgiving camping trip - if I can find something open that is not under 4 feet of snow by then!
    I can't remember if I posted after we got back from our trip to Boston, but we were so impressed with this campground. The sites were enormous.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Smile

In VT there are several parks you can camp at in winter - State Parks. All you need to do is call and say where you are staying (lean to type shelters available; um, three sides and a wood floor a foot off the ground, and a roof). Groton State Forest has several sites, I highly reccommend Kettle Pond, the lean tos are on the far side of the pond (only a mile or two hike on a well travelled path, even in snow pack). Easily done with a pack, as long as you aren't bringing everything plus the kitchen sink . . .
    Thanksgiving weekend is traditionally beautiful, although a bit nippy, no snow last four years. . . (global warming?)