How do you...?

Thread: How do you...?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question How do you...?

I am going to be making candles for Christmas. I was wondering , can you just melt the wax and pour it in a jar? How do you kep it from dipping in the middle? Can I use food coloring for the color?
    A friend gave me an assortment of jars, none of which can be used for canning. I thought I'd use these to make the candles. Is this too hard? Can this be done? Is it worth the money I'd have to put into it? Thanks Marcia

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think food coloring will work for color, the wax will just shed that liquid away like water, you can use crayons to color the wax... just melt them into the wax.... They are worth doing if you find the wax cheap enough, I always used "gulf wax from the market ot Walmart..... I don't know how to prevent the dip in the middle...........

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Crayons may clog the wick. You are better off going to a craft store or buying some supplies online. Email me and I can give you some tips.

Master Dollar Stretcher dz_blonde_girl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post your tips here Jodi, please? Dh wanted to make candles last year for Christmas, but we couldn't afford the supplies. We'll probably try again this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I want to know how to prevent the dip in the middle too.I've made candles for the last 3 years.i just always put more wax in the dip after it cools.For colors the best and cheapest way would be to reuse old candles,I always find them at yard sales,ask friends and family for their left over wax and if its still in a jar then carefully heat the jar over hot water and pop out with a knife.