Hello and a marshmallow qeustion
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Hello and a marshmallow qeustion

Hello, I'm new here so here goes. I'm Ashley from Kansas City and I make most everything I can from scratch. My bomb-proof marshmallow recipe has bombed and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I made a batch and used vegetable spray to oil the pan and coated with powdered sugar. I made the syrup, gelled the geletin and whipped the egg whites all like normal. The marshmallows turned out slimy after they were cut and dredged in powdered sugar. I tried again, thinking it was the spray oil so I went back to the oil and a paper towel before coating the pan in extra powdered sugar. The marshmallows still turned out slimy. I've made these a hundred times before and not had this problem. Any ideas for what it could be? Thanks for any help and it's lovely to meet you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We spray our pan with oil before coating too, so I don't think it is that. Having made them before I'm sure you cooked the syrup long enough. Were your egg whites fresh?

We use Alton Brown's recipe and there are no egg whites in them, its just whipped syrup and gelatin. Homemade Marshmallows Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Ceashels View Post
    We spray our pan with oil before coating too, so I don't think it is that. Having made them before I'm sure you cooked the syrup long enough. Were your egg whites fresh?

We use Alton Brown's recipe and there are no egg whites in them, its just whipped syrup and gelatin. Homemade Marshmallows Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
    Alton Brown Marshmallow Recipe

NOM NOM NOM
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The weather (especially humidity levels, and even barometric pressure) can really affect candy making. Could that be a factor for you this time?

Sorry you're having trouble. I hate when something suddenly turns out badly after many previous successes. Good luck!

Kara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

High humidity can be a factor and I am wondering what kind of gelatin you are using. The powdered type (Knox) is really consistent but leaf gelatin can be a bit variable.

I also make no egg-white marshmallows, my favorite ones are these chocolate ones - they go like wildfire when I bring them to bake sales, Homemade Chocolate Marshmallows Recipe - Food.com - 249441

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks for all the tips. I tried again Thursday night but I turned on the air, since the house was humid, grabbed new eggs and oiled the pan with a paper towel. I do use the Knox packets. Again, the marshmallows were way too wet and never dried. I even left them on the counter overnight to dry and got nowhere.
    Then it occurred to me. I had bought a generic corn syrup, labeled "light table syrup" and the label said to use where you would normally use corn syrup. Big mistake. Tonight I went to the store and grabbed regular but generic corn syrup and the marshmallows worked just fine. Just a word of warning, Aldi's "light table syrup" apparently contains way more water than regular corn syrup. Just say no. I'll post the recipe in the appropriate section if you want to see it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You should try the A/B recipe anyway - no eggs, just sugar, corn syrup and powdered sugar and corn starch, and they're FANTASTIC!
    If you could kick in the pants the person responsible for your problems, you wouldn't be able to sit for a month.

Did you know that a 4 year student paying $20,000/year who finances their education graduates with over $103,000 in debt to start? But a student who works and pays cash and takes 6 years to graduate ends with $6,300 in their pocket! So much for "getting a head start by financing!"

Greebo
    (Nerd Spender): Loving and extremely patiently tolerated husband of ceashels.
    WARNING: Y Chromosome behind the keyboard. Adjust your listening filters appropriately!

Three
    Two mortgages, two one no car loans, one no credit cards, and a partridge in pear tree!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome!! Glad you figured it out.
    Oct No Spend Days - 14 /20
    2014 No Eat Out Days - 254 /365
    2014 Oct Gas Challenge - $55 / $120
    Oct Keep Fit - 1140 min / 930 min

Don't tell God how big your storm is...tell the storm how big your God is.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the info on the Aldi's syrup... I'll double check the label before I make my next batch of marshmallows.
    The Free Spirit Saver who walks the path with Greebo.

Onboard with a modified Dave Ramsey Plan
    Budget: "Every month! On paper, on purpose!"

Gardening somewhere between Zone 6b and 7a.