No Bake Candy( or cookies)
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default No Bake Candy( or cookies)

I wanted to make the No Bake Cookie with oatmeal and peanut butter cooked on the stovetop. Other people make them and they have a glossy sheen and are moist. Mine are dry and dull. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.( I do not bake alot.) Any tips or suggestions?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I make these cookies a lot and what I've learned over the years is to make sure I have my measurements exact but I don't add the entire oatmeal (mine calls for three cups, I put about 2 1/2-2 3/4) I noticed that when I got into a rush and wasn't paying much attention to my measurements, they'd come out dry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will try using less oatmeal and see if that helps. I thought I may have been boiling them too long, but I timed it for one minute.Thank you for the tip!Mine calls for three cups oatmeal also.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

it also depends on the oatmeal. If you use the quick oatmeal, then it can soak up the liquids faster than say the long cooking oats. Does that make sense? lol I have also changed out the oatmeal with rice crispy cereal and other things I've had in my baking cabinet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have made them twice. I had them a little dry the first time. This time I used regular milk instead of reconstituted powdered milk. They came out really good this time. I got quick oats the other day to try next hoping for a softer cookie but now I am wondering if they will be too dry. Thanks for the tip about them soaking up the moisture. I love the idea of using rice crispies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have the opposite problem - mine won't set up and remain runny. It's so strange that I made these cookies often the whole time the kids were growing up and now I can't make them at all and have them turn out. I have no idea what I might be doing differently.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For me, it's the oats! I used the whole grain oats in one batch and they weren't too bad. Then I used the instant and they were dry. Someone also told me not too boil them so quickly- use medium heat to get the boil, or they will be dry. I am going to try that also!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just tried my hand at no bake drop cookies tonight and blech! WAY TOO SWEET! The recipe I tried didn't say to boil the oats though and called for 2.5c. It was too runny to me so I added an additional 1/2c of oats. They're cooling now as I type this but I know for a fact that I won't be eating them as they're just too sweet. Hello sugar induced coma