Results 1 to 3 of 3
Thread: Freezer Biscuits
07-23-2008, 08:29 AM #1
- Rep Power
Freezer BiscuitsFreezer Biscuits
Recipe DescriptionThis recipe came from another frugal site. It's easy and it's a timesaver on those mornings or evenings when you want biscuits without taking the time to make them.Preparation Steps:Level of Difficulty:EasyTime Needed:Approximately 30 minutes prepIngredients:6 cups self rise flourServes:
(or 6 cups A/P flour + 3 Tbsp baking powder & 1 Tbsp salt)
1 cup shortening, firmly packed
2 cups buttermilk, sour milk, or thinned yogurt (I use soured milk)30-35 medium biscuits; 20 or so big breakfast sizedDirections:1. In a large mixing bowl, measure and place dry ingredients...flour etc.
2. Add the firmly packed shortening and cut into the flour with fingers or a fork until the size of small peas or beans. DON'T overmix or you won't get flaky biscuits! As the original recipe states, "casually combine"
3. Stir in milk, buttermilk, or thinned yogurt. Mix well until soft dough forms.
4. Knead dough about 10 or 12 times, just enough to activate the gluten.
5. Place dough on a well floured surface and roll out/pat into a thick slab. Cut dough into biscuits with floured biscuit cutter or glass. (I use a soup can) You can also cut them into squares.
6. Arrange biscuits on a pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray or layered with wax paper.
7. Freeze at least 2 hours or until frozen solid.
8. Remove from pan and place in plastic freezer bag or container until needed.
9. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 425*F oven. Place desired number of biscuits on lightly greased pan and bake for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Last edited by IamBlessed; 07-23-2008 at 08:31 AM.
- 07-23-2008, 08:37 AM #2
Thanks. Great idea. I always make mine fresh but now I will give this a try.
07-15-2009, 12:13 PM #3
- Rep Power
Thanks so much for this. I had a coupon for a free bag of frozen biscuits and thought I'd give them a try and was very surprised how well they came out, then wondered if I could do this myself.
By piney in forum Question and AnswerReplies: 3Last Post: 07-25-2011, 04:00 PM
By SHOPGIRL in forum AppliancesReplies: 21Last Post: 11-15-2005, 06:41 AM
By Makat2u in forum OAMC, Homecanning, Freezing, and PreservingReplies: 1Last Post: 01-29-2005, 10:25 PM
By dolphin in forum Baking BreadsReplies: 2Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:40 PM
By Sinclairwife in forum Kitchen BasicsReplies: 0Last Post: 04-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Tags for this Thread