Frugal Village Forums banner

overabundance of potatoes

6K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Nada.Leona 
#1 ·
We have been blessed with an overabundance of potatoes. We have already canned over 100 quarts and am wondering if there is a way to make fries and freeze them. Any info will be appreciated,TIA!!!

#2 ·
Whenever I've had too many potatoes I would bake them, wrap them in tinfoil, and then freeze them. Even months later they were fine to eat once defrosted or I'd add them to soups/stews or mash them. I've never tried making fries and freezing those.

#3 ·
Select mature potatoes. Pare and cut potatoes lengthwise into 1/4" thick strips. Rinse quickly in cold water and dry well on towels. Use either the oven or oil method for "blanching".

Oven method: Arrange potato strips on shallow baking pan; brush with melted butter or margarine; bake at 450 degrees F just until potatoes begin to turn brown, turning occasionally. Cool quickly in refrigerator.

Oil method: Blanch potato strips in oil heated to 370 degrees F until tender but not brown; drain; cool quickly in refrigerator.

Place prepared strips in moisture-vapor-proof containers or in freezer bags. Seal, label, and freeze.

To serve, return frozen potatoes to baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees F until golden brown, turning occasionally. Or deep fat fry potatoes at 390 degrees F until golden and crisp.

#5 ·
I make twice-baked potatoes, wrap and freeze them. Also hash browns are easy to do, there are several methods (you can cook and shred, or shred first then cook). Tater tots are pretty easy too, cook shred and roll into balls. You can freeze mashed potatoes in scoops, but you have to add a lot of butter and sour cream into them (same with the baked potatoes) to preserve the texture.

#6 ·
My two favorite ways of freezing potatoes is to bake them and then shred them, and then freeze them in 2 cup portions. They make excellent hash browns that way. Don't even need to peel them!

The other thing I like to do is to boil and mash them with a little butter and then freeze them in 1 cup portions. I mix them into soups and such, or anytime I need mashed potatoes. Works perfect for me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.