has anyone given up a high paying job for lesser pay and less stress? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Booklover View Post
    That was such a wonderful, warm, inspiring post-I don't want you to delete it!!!
    Thanks.

The reason I wanted to delete my second post was because it was a double post. I've had internet problems lately and that's resulting in double posts which is frustrating.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness possesses you.” -Mildred Lisette Norman
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeppers. I left a gov't job (still not the highest paying - social work is definately not a profession you enter to 'make money' lol) in social services working with foster kids to go and work for a non profit charity in the 'hood' or inner city...Way less pay, about 1/3 of what i originally made. Things were tight but it was the happiest 5 yrs of my life. I loved the ppl i worked with, loved working the kids and felt very much 'alive'. There was still stress but nothing like working for gov't. Now, years later, a few more jobs later, I'm back in gov't, this time working in a youth jail. I enjoy what i do, the pay is a little better, actually less than working at the school (go figure) but its ok. Not as passionate about it as I was all those yrs ago working for that inner city charity but its comfortable. I still miss those days though....
    I've taken less paying jobs (especially after I graduated with my degree) in order to gain valuable experience...for me it was a career move most of the time except for that one experience....

I say, follow your instincts. I also left that low paying job I loved so much to relocate to this town (in the hopes of finding a safer environment for my kids etc) with no job and about $600 to my name. It was a total leap of faith and it felt 'so right', I knew without a doubt it was the right choice. Within a month I landed a temp job in justice and then a perm job w/school division...now im in a perm job with govt again.....Also within 9 mths I bought my first house! That would something i couldn't do in the city

Follow your passion, do what you feel is right. It might be kinda rough at 1st but in the end you'll likely be happier for it

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes. I taught at a school district that had fairly good wages for a Missouri school. I left it and the pension and the benefits to go to a private school. I loved it there and retired from there. Now I sometimes wish that I had my public school pension, but it was worth it.
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I play with kids, for four hours a day, four days a week. (After school coordinator) I love being a role model, providing expectations for these little guys to aspire to. I serve a depressed community - mostly not so great home lives, these kids need love. I (think) am unable to have children, but just want to love them. Yes, there are challenging times, yes, they need to do homework, but they do like me and want to please me, too.
    I make piddly amount of $$, but I live frugally, eat out of my pantry and garden, and still have enough to pay the truck payment (by the way, it'll be paid off in 2 months).
    My husband has a good job, and supports me thoroughly. I've just been the after school coordinator 2 years, before that, had an additional job.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Will be leaving a higher pay job on Oct. 1st. Going from 40 hours a week, to 36 hours a week, AND taking a $5/hr cut in pay. No choice - my health issues dictate a change.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm leaving a high-paying job that I've been at for 21 years, bittersweet departure. I'm leaving to spend time being a full-time wife, daughter, and mother. I have aging parents that require my care. We've worked hard to be debt free (including primary residence and rental property) and plan to continue to live simply and frugally. I will be working, finishing a big project and training my replacement, until January 15, 2012. I've been encouraged by the replies to this post. Hopefully, my own story will proceed as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile

Good luck Sunshine and OOwl.
    I have been impressed with the number of positive responses. It has really been encouraging.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

About 11 1/2 yrs ago I left a Mon-Fri office job and joined the "float pool" of a local hospital (I'm an RN). My Mother told me I was making a mistake and wasting a hard-earned degree. I gave myself a year to see if it would work. Wow! It was the best decision ever! I was able to schedule myself to work around everyone's needs. My stress level went way down. The 8 yrs I did that, despite lower pay, DH and I were able to pay off all our debt, including our mortgage. I worked evenings or nights so that we didn't have to have a babysitter, so that saved an enormous amt of money. That proves mothers don't always know everything! I'm back to an office job 3 dys/wk in order to get health insurance and am not as happy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mommynurse View Post
    About 11 1/2 yrs ago I left a Mon-Fri office job and joined the "float pool" of a local hospital (I'm an RN). My Mother told me I was making a mistake and wasting a hard-earned degree. I gave myself a year to see if it would work. Wow! It was the best decision ever! I was able to schedule myself to work around everyone's needs. My stress level went way down. The 8 yrs I did that, despite lower pay, DH and I were able to pay off all our debt, including our mortgage. I worked evenings or nights so that we didn't have to have a babysitter, so that saved an enormous amt of money.
    I'm surprised. . . the hospitals I've worked, the float pool pays MORE.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I plan on scaling back when Sophie is in school...I'd love to volunteer feeding the seniors at the long term care or be a driver for meals on wheels...or both...and also reading to them...the ones that have lost their sight and can no longer read to themselves.
    On Baby Step # 6 $25,386
    Mortgage pay off October 1 2014
    Proud supporter of Blessings In A Backpack and SPCA
    CrossFit lover

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    I'm surprised. . . the hospitals I've worked, the float pool pays MORE.
    They do (not so much back then)- I just worked a LOT less hours so it ended up being a pay cut and I lost my benefits. If I worked float pool now, I could make $16/hr more than I did back then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks for the replies
    I am a nurse as well but work as a director of surgery. I hate it and the hours, plus I work academic medicine which has all the politics to boot. I would love to go back to 36 hrs wk and know I will take a significant pay cut. I will also decrease my work hours by about 12 a week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The position I used to be in was changed to a shiftwork position by some people who thought that they could just eliminate an entire department by training everyone else to fulfill it's role. Went from something I loved to do to something I struggled to wake up for in the morning (or evening, or night... rotating shifts).

Just about led to a divorce, and had some medical problems that the doctor could only attribute to stress. Wrote my supervisor a letter stating that I felt I had a lot to contribute and wanted to stay, but could not and would not deal with the shiftwork. I very happily took a relatively significant cut in pay to drop back into the hourly pool from a staff position.

From all of the drastic changes, the work environment had already permanently gone way downhill, so another opportunity came up that I was temporarily assigned to, more than 2 years ago. It's a higher hourly wage, but significantly less overtime, so I'm down between $20-30K gross at the end of the year from where I was before. But I don't have to deal with shift, I don't have to worry about getting called out in the middle of the night, and I get to spend a lot more time doing the things I enjoy doing after work.

I am in much more of an an office environment now as opposed to being in the field, and I miss working with tools horribly. So my quality of after-work and home life has increased significantly, at the cost of a decrease in my job satisfaction and lower overall pay. Kind of in a funny place right now. But things seem to change almost daily. So who knows what the future brings. I love where I live and the things we do here outside of work, and am more than willing to put up with a few bumps in the road to stay here. Just gets frustrating some times.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I will be scaling back my career in a few years time. Short term I am saving for a down payment on a small house. Then I want to have a good chunk of money saved. Then I will scale back.

I am a high income earner at a well known company. Worked hard to get to this position after circumstances sent me back to square 1. The money and benefits are great, but the price is too high for me to be able to sustain this in the long term. That is a big reason why I frequent FV. Learning how to live well on less.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, a couple of times. I quit my military career to start over at an entry level position. And then, years later, I eventually quit that when I got sick of it. I ended up going back to that one, but only two days a week as a contractor instead of a full time employee.

Both times, I adjusted by spending less and saving less. It was a bit like jumping out of a plane without a parachute, but it has ended up just fine.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast