Irritating Co-Worker
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Irritating Co-Worker

Started a new job 3 weeks ago. Working retail now instead of office work, so it's a big change from sitting on my butt all day long to now on my feet all day. There are 6 of us total that work in the dept. I like all of them until one of them said something very rude which was a little upsetting and then pissed me off.

This one particular lady is a fruit, a nice happy person, but a few cards short of a full deck. Well, I said to her last night, my back was killing me. She said well, you have back problems. I said no I don't have back problems and she said yes you do if your back hurts. I worked office jobs for 18 years, sitting on my butt. Now I'm using muscles I don't usually use and I now have back problems? Not to mention that in a 7 day period I was only off one day??

I talked to another co-worker about it and she said to tell the department manager. I will when I go to work on Tuesday. But man, I don't know if she is trying to chase me out of there or what. I have heard that the last 2 people before me quit because of her. I did want to say something back, but since I just started, I'd better talk to the manager first before putting my foot down.

Has anyone else had a co-worker treat you like this??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Personally, I would just ignore her. If she's telling you that you have a back problem and you don't--no biggie. If she's telling the manager you have a problem, that's another story.

Again, if I was in that position, I probably wouldn't tell the manager and just limit my interaction with her. Discuss the weather or something, but not give her any personal info. KWIM?

Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'd just say "Oh, you have a medical degree? That's great! well let me just call my doctor and tell him I don't need him anymore. By the way, why are you working here?"

But I'm mean.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like a know-it-all. Use this approach -->

We have one in our office. She is a real crepe-hanger... ready to bury everyone as soon as they sneeze. I've been having migraine headaches lately, she offered her support by telling me about her sister's aneurysm.

I'd wait to go to the boss... until you have a more serious issue. JMHO.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I worked retail for almost 10 years, I saw all kinds of fruit loops. I wouldn't go to the manager, either, not yet anyway. But, I guess if she gets worse that is better than my approach, to torment her back til she cries.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LMAO!! You guys are funny!! I did give her the silent treatment tonight. Worked pretty well. The reason why the other co-worker told me to tell the manager is that the fruity check has a lot of bad things on her record and if she is doing this too, they may send her elsewhere in the store. I guess she comes in late every time she has to work and she has been doing this for a year. And she isn't taking her lunch when she is supposed to, which means when I have to leave, there is no one to cover her. That is why there is always two people during the dinner hours to make sure the dept is covered.

I don't think I have to work with her till next sunday, so life will be good and I can come up with some good comebacks between now and then.

Thanks for the replies!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have worked plenty of retail and people like her are a dime a dozen. My advice would be to ignore her the best you can. Sadly, they wont fire her untill they have to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No advice there. But my FIL (who thinks that he knows everything) told me I wouldn't have gotten breast cancer, if I had gone outside more?!?!?!? Every time we are sick, he tells us to go outside.

June grocery challenge $114.99/$400

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Awww hugs, there's always one in the crowd, as my mama says "no matter where ya work there's always gonna be a *itch, and if you don't see one look in the mirror and make sure it's not you!" (NOT AIMING THAT AT YOU, IT'S TO MAKE YA LAUGH!)

I went back to work about a year ago and apparently I'm a HUGE threat to one of the younguns there, she's 24, one night at break she grabbed my coat and lunch bucket, threw them to the side, shoved my table (almost into me) and said "we need MORE )*(&^(^*(*^ ROOM!" I almost BLEW! I said "I DON"T KNOW WHAT IN THE *ELL YOUR PROBLEM IS, I"VE BEEN NOTHING BUT NICE TO YOU!!!!!!!!) The other workers all dropped their heads waiting for me to knock her head off, it was close! I took a breath and reminded myself "I'm old enough to be her mama and if I was SHE WOULDN'T BE ALIVE IF SHE TREATED PEOPLE THAT WAY"!

I've found the BEST way to handle her is to "pull up my big girl panties" and act like I LOVE MY JOB Drives her NUTSO!

Just remember, it's ONLY a job, your home life is WHAT MATTERS!!

kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default FRUIT LOOPS

Unfortunatly when you work with a group of women this always happens--good luck!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

you all are cracking me up here.
    Marie

I had a baby!

Single mom, frugal to the bone, love doing stuff with my little one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just say, "Well I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree so we can remain agreeable." Then just smile and go about your own business. Try not to let you get to you or see that she has. It sounds like she is trying to compensate for low self-esteem by attempting to act superior and know-it-allish. Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Is there ANY possibility that she meant it sympathetically? It's not like it is a major insult if you just read the words, but I'm thinking the problem is in her tone of voice. Some people just don't hear their own voice.

I might consider if she says something like that again responding with something like "Well, I've heard your'e a crank, but I didn't really see why!" and then turn away and do something else before she has a chance to ask you what you mean. It would make her think about how people are reacting to her - but it also could end any good-vibes between you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

She's just a very weird person. I talked to my department manager about it and she said I should have said something back to her. I told her I didn't want to get into trouble since I've only been there for 3 weeks. She said tell her to mind her own business and if she bosses me around and tells me what to do, to tell her I know what I have to do. Works for me! I haven't seen her in a week, but will be working with her tomorrow. We'll see what happens.