Frugal Village Forums banner

New here...addicted to cast Iron

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  greenturtle36 
#1 ·
I have been searching the net to find a group that shares the addiction to cast iron I have. None of my friends use cast iron, they think I am crazy. My husband thinks my kitchen is overrun with it and I need to stop...but I can't stop buying a good dutch oven when I find one at a garage sale or a nice seasoned frying pan at the second hand store. I use my cast iron roaster every chance I get, I love my corn bread pan and my cast iron loaf pans make the best banana bread there is.

I have enjoyed reading through all the posts, its nice to see others with the same addiction.

#3 ·
I have only used cast iron for years after having a friend who told me about why rare/exotic bird breaders don't use it = releases toxic fumes that can kill the birds. I have now been reading more articles on health sites about the chemicals released that he told me about years ago and find it ironic that it has taken this long for it to become more widely known.

I love my cast iron and after using it for years can imagine no other. It does take some extra work and getting used to, but it is well worth it!

#6 ·
Right there with you. I see it and i go weak in the knees. I must have it all!!!

I have been lusting after a 15" Lodge skillet that Walmart sells in the camping supplies area. Its $39 and I know that I will never use it.

I went yesterday and they were doing inventory and someone had messed up and put an $18.00 price tag on this one. Needless to say its now in the oven being seasoned.

Have you tried the Le Crueset coated? Lodge coated is pretty good too.

I actually have a Cast Iron Bundt pan too.

We really should start a support group.

#11 ·
I would love a cast iron bundt pan, I use my regular bundt pan quite often. I have two cast iron loaf pans, my dad bought them for me for Xmas a couple years ago. I have inherited my great grandma's dutch oven and my mom says she knows where my Grandma's dutch oven is sitting and will get it for me one of these days. My parents were in town garage saling before stopping here one day...dad came carrying up one honking big dutch oven that he bought me at the garage sale...$5. It was nasty rusty but some steel wool and elbow grease had it cleaned right up.

Sadly most of my cast iron is sitting in a storage space. We are putting our house up on the market tomorrow and I had to downsize my kitchen. I can't wait to move and have it back.

#12 ·
Are you kidding? Cast iron has always been and always will be, in my opinion, absolutely the best cookware. I dont know what those chefs in those fancy restaraunts are thinking. We dont want pots and pans that everything sticks to. We want something versatile, and cast iron does it. My daughter is goin g to be out on her own soon and she hates using my cast iron, but she loves the skillet, so mom is going to buy her one, and start getting it well seasoned for her.

#13 ·
Ode' to cast iron

I love mine too!! When we were first married 18 years ago my husbands Grandmother died. I have always loved to cook and I was offered all her cast iron. I SAID NO THANK YOU!! I now see that I was insane:cuckoo: I have since come to love cast iron. I have spent years seasoning and using and getting my skillets and dutch ovens perfectly non stick and smooth. Years that I did not have to spend had I appreciated what Grandma Bea had. She had been using them for 40 or 50 years and they were smooth and dark and beautiful. Oh if only I had known!

#15 ·
My dad gave me a beautiful cast iron Aebleskiver pan for my birthday last week. I have yet to use it but I have googled a bunch of recipes. My kids will love pancake balls for a change.

We are in the process of moving (August 9th is possession date)...we leave for a week of camping before...just so I can use my cast iron again, its been in storage for the last couple months and I am going through a bad case of withdrawl.

#16 ·
I love my cast iron! I am wanting a griddle for making pancakes. I also want a terrine w/lid that I saw at a camping store. I don't know what I'd use it for, but I want it. I have a stainless steel set of cookware that I use a lot, too. But the cast iron comes out first. An addiction...not! It just makes good sense to want to make the most perfect grilled cheese sandwiches ever! LOL! DH actually points out cast iron to me when we go shopping.

#17 ·
Its a running joke that one more piece will cause a divorce....yet my hubby buys me pieces of cast iron on more than one occasion. He knows that what I cook in those cast iron pans he will be eating so he doesnt complain....well he did when he had to carry it all out of the house to put it in storage while we move but he will also have to carry it back into the new house in 20 days!!!

It is an addiction because rarely I can leave a piece at a garage sale or second hand store, he always asks when he gets in my van...how many pieces of cast iron are you hiding in here today?

#18 ·
I've been told that I'm obsessed with cast iron. I guess I am, but I can't think of a better thing to be obsessed with.

As for not having a place to store it, when I realized how great it was, I hauled all my other cookware to goodwill. I've used nothing but cast iron ever since.

eventually I'll be able to post the URL to my blog, but until then, search google for "ramblings on cast iron" and you'll be able to enjoy my blog, all about cast iron and what I cook in it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.