Frugal Village Forums banner

Cast Iron for Resteraunt-quality pizzas?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  greenturtle36 
#1 ·
I have come upon a new idea that using Cast Iron Skillets (either in the bottom of the skillet OR turning the skillet over and using the bottom of it) used for homemade pizzas at a high heat make a crust that resembles what you get at a Resteraunt. My crusts are always so soft they almost fall apart.

I have 3 Iron skillets, one 15", one 10" ?, and one small one. So I will have to round them up and test this theory out!

I read that you should Preheat the cast iron at a high temperature before adding the pizza dough, then bake it at a high temperature for a shorter amount of time!

#4 ·
I guess I didnt mention, I do not have a pizza stone. Maybe I could save money by using the Cast-iron skillets instead?

I dont know, I havent tried it yet! When I season the skillets, I heat them with nothing in them but fat, (Crisco type shortening) so when I put the skillets into the oven to heat them for pizza, I will add a coating of fat!

#5 ·
most people season them at around 350 to 400. what high temp are you going to preheat the oven (with the cast iron in it) at?

Of course, if the cast iron is hot when you put the dough on it, the dough shouldn't stick anyway.

Let me know how it works. I have pizza stones, but the cast iron may make a better crust (i know it does for biscuits)

#7 ·
We make ours on a large cast iron griddle 16"? (with a bailing handle) and do not preheat. We grease it with olive oil then sprinkle it with cornmeal, add dough & bake 425º for around 20 min.

#8 ·
Years ago we bought ourselves a large pizza stone as our holiday gift to each other. I think the directions were to preheat and bake @ 500F (about 10 minutes will cook a large pizza) but for our oven 450 does a better job.

I prefer it to a cast iron skillet because it is bigger, and I don't have to lift the skillet out, I can just grab the crust of the pizza and slide it onto a large baking sheet to get it out of the oven.

#10 ·
My mom has a cast iron pizza pan she bought at a garage sale for $5 years ago. Deep sides and stamped Property of Pizza Hut on the bottom of it...so who ever sold it must have worked at Pizza Hut or swiped it...anyways she never preheats it, she wipes it with oil and stretches out her dough like any other pizza. Maybe that is what we will have for supper tonight...personal pan pizzas, I have a couple small cast iron frying pans that arent packed yet. The kids can make their own.

#12 ·
I love my Lodge pizza pan, but if you don't have one, a skillet should work fine.

I had a pizza stone but it cracked in my oven, which won't happen with cast iron. Plus, your pizza pan can double as a large griddle; No pizza stone can do that!

What I have NOT been successful with, is cooking a pizza in a covered cast iron skillet on the stovetop. It was burnt on the bottom, raw on the top. I must have done it wrong...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.