Frugal Village Forums banner

Do you display your cast iron?

10K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  KennKonn 
#1 ·
We finally moved into our new house. It has a display area 3/4 of th way up the kitchen wall then there is a display area dividing the kitchen and livingroom. Now I dont use all my cast iron so I thought I would put my dutch ovens and things like that up there on display. I would have loved a rustic old farm house...I would have hung them on the walls but sadly in the city rustic farmhouses are impossible to find. I have my frying pans sitting on my counter right now trying to decide a good place to put them and the rest of my CI is coming into the house this weekend from the storage unit (so excited to have it all back!!). I want it displayed, I love my collection.

Where does everyone keep yours?

#2 · (Edited)
I have some cast iron,most of it is likely to just hang on the wall, as DH uses one fry pan and I use stainless. That said, my stainless pots at the moment are hanging from S hooks, black (from Pier 1, they're candle lantern hooks!) on a cut down apple ladder that showed up at our dump.

We verathaned the ladder and then cut it to size and put it up. It matches the kitchen and house much better than the retail gridwall I had before. I intended to paint the gridwall flat black to go with my wrought iron and I still might.

The 2nd smaller piece of the ladder we're trying to see if it will work for the less often used stuff, hanging like a traditional pot rack. I won't be able to reach it, and if I can, the pots will hit DH in the face, so it has to be things we use once in a blue moon.

Judi

#3 ·
I used to display it on the walls of my old house, but it doesn't go with the decor of this house & I don't have the wall space. It's now stored away in the closet with all my large pans and appliances.

#6 ·
We have very little wall space in our kitchen - after she painted the walls a Chinese red, she hung all of our frying pans on the wall above the sink - they look great there - even though I never would have thought of displaying them mysef!!

#7 ·
I don't have enough space to display mine. Plus I use mine most every day. I have seen it displayed in other people's homes and it looked great.

#8 ·
My mom has promised me the old kitchen cupboard that is at her cabin (they don't use the cabin anymore and someone will end up breaking in and smashing it or stealing it) at the lake. Its like a Hoosier with the glass doors and the flour bins. I would LOVE to display my cast iron in there but then I would have to move my china cabinet and my Pillsbury doughboy collection out. I am going to get the ladder in and put it up on the nook and see what it looks like. I will keep what I normally use out...my loaf pans etc but I think I will put my dutch ovens and my roaster up there. Its not like I can't get them down and use them...I will just have to go get the ladder. If my house wasnt a newer house I would display it on the walls but the style of this house is too modern for that....again I would have loved an old farm house.

#11 ·
I had a pot rack. I just sold it because there is no place in my kitchen to put it up. Over the island would have been ideal but there is a pendant light there. I am thinking of a wrought iron bakers rack if I can find a nice one. Then I can put some of my cookbooks (yeah another kitchen collection gone wild).

I will try and take a picture of where I put my dutch ovens and post it. I bought some of those hercules hooks, they are supposed to hold up to 50lbs but I don't know if I want to put them all over my walls. Maybe my carpenter brother will build me a wooden display rack with a lip so they can lean up against it along the top of the room divider thingy.

#13 ·
Me too...I have my dutch ovens and roaster on the ledge thingy and my favorite frying pans in the drawer...the cornbread pans and muffin pans are stashed under my china cabinet on a towel. Lousy place to put them but these newer houses arent designed to show old treasures.

#14 ·
I finally have 90% of it displayed...my loaf pans and my frying pans I use are in the drawers. I have all my dutch ovens, roasters and pots on the ledge and then I have my waffle iron, cornbread pans, muffin pans etc all down the room divider between the livingroom and the kitchen. Its not exactly how I wanted it displayed but they are accessable if I want to to use them and they are off the floor where they had been living. It means I have to stand on my counter to get down what I want but its not a big deal. Someday if I can find a bakers rack or something I will display them there...or a old wooden work counter!! that is what I really want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.