Frugal Village Forums banner

Cast Iron Newbie

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  greenturtle36 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I bought my first cast iron skillet a few weeks ago. It was preseasoned so I didn't season it, but instead fried up some bacon in it the first two times. While I was out of town it was used to make skillet potatoes and apparently some of the potatoes stuck to the bottom of the skillet so they decided to soak it in water and forgot about it for two days.

I've heard not to let water sit in cast iron and now there's a line where the water level was. Does anybody know what I should do to fix it? Also, any tips on cleaning it after every use? Just rinsing it with water has always seemed a bit off to me. Thanks.

#2 ·
Wash it good in warm water and dish soap if needed. Sit it on the burner on your stove and dry it really well. Take a paper towel and coat the inside of the skillet with veg. oil or shortening. Put it in your oven for a couple of hours on about 250 degrees.

A straight edged spatula will scrape any stuck food from the skillet. I try to wash mine while they are still warm. They are much easier to clean then. They need to be dried and oiled after each use. The more you use it the better it will cook.

There are alot of cast iron videos on youtube.

#3 ·
I have plastic pan scrapers, you can buy them at the kitchen supply stores...here they were a package of 3 for $5. They will take off all the stuck on bits and not take your seasoning off. I love them. Throw the scraper in the dishwasher for next time or just rinse it off. I wipe it out with a damp cloth and rinse it well and throw it on the stove on the warm burner.

My hubby left mine in a sink full of soapy water from Friday till Sunday when I got home...lets say I wasnt impressed! But after I corrected him!! I cleaned it up and its ok.

#4 ·
Also, any tips on cleaning it after every use? Just rinsing it with water has always seemed a bit off to me. Thanks.
Hot water kills germs, I just wash mine with hot water and no soap, just a scrub brush, then dry with a towel right after washing.

For really stubborn foods I'll let it soak for like 10 or 15 minutes, and if it's REALLY stubborn, boil water in it on the stove. But once it's seasoned, sticking won't be a problem.

I'm very passionate about cast iron cookware and I have a blog.

Unfortunately I can't post the URL because I haven't posted 15 posts yet, just google search "ramblings on cast iron" and it'll pop up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.