Frugal Village Forums banner

Cast iron set on sale

Tags
cast iron sale set
8K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  OOwl 
#1 ·
I get a circular from TSC via email and in this weeks ad there is an 8 piece set for $49.99 if anyone is interested.

Tractor Supply Company - Home go to their site and view the current ad. Sale only lasts until the 6th.

#2 ·
Thank you so much! That is a great price, I love cast iron and needed a griddle, so it would be worth getting the whole set to have more pieces to add to my growing collection.

#3 ·
Thanks Russ for the link. I pulled it up and the stores down here in Florida offer the same ad.

I love cast iron and need some more pieces.

#5 ·
Thanks Russ I just bought it, really nice worth the money, it comes with reversable griddle, dutch oven, saucepan with lid, brush, stand (for dutch oven), and a 10" skillet. Plus next to it I saw a meat grinder with a sausage stuffer attachment for $29.99 it attaches to a table.

#12 ·
I'm curious about the brand because some of the cheaper brands aren't the best quality. It would be best to look it over very carefully as soon as it's purchased. Check for warping and pitting, and make sure the lids don't rock.

We have L&M Fleet Supply, which is similar. My husband hates it when I wander into the tool section there, or the pet/wild bird section, or the kitchen ware section.

#19 ·
thank you Russ :) I purposly left your post up on the computer for hubbs :) This is one of the things that is on my Christmas list Sportsman Acadamy/Acadamy Sportsman (can never remember which it is) has a set that I would really like. So this just gave him an option :)

#20 ·
I had a Cracker Barrel Cast iron skillet once and can attest to the fact that not all cast iron is created equally. One day I was chopping up hamburger meat as it browned, with a spatula (and, I can't tell you if that spatula was metal or plastic), and the entire skillet cracked in half, spilling the entire contents of the dish onto the burner and stovetop. It was quite the shock! Those things are so heavy that one just thinks they can hold up to anything. That said, I still use my other pieces (medium and large skillets) but I am always careful now in how vigorously I chop up browning hamburger. That was probably a once-in-a-lifetime event and just a flaw in that particular pan's construction, but it pays to pay attention to quality, I guess. I am going to TSC this weekend. Ours has that on sale, too. I'd like to see it. Bet that box is heavy! :)

#21 ·
Ok need all your opinons, had a family member pick these up for me and they look great , no lid problems and seem like a fantastic deal. But made in China, and not sure how I feel about the metal work from there. I try to support American and might bring back to do just that.

But safe? What do you all think, your opinions matter to me and would help as the safety part is a concern as well.

Reactions: mh3rdwheel
#23 ·
Russ thank you for telling us of the cast iron set, because it lead us to buyig the meat grinder, also a generator a Champion 4000 peak watts, and 3500 running watts and a Honda engine, plus a Hobart mig welder. They were a great price and my dh was looking for this.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

#25 ·
Camp Chef is a huge name in cast iron cookware. They also make Cabela's cast iron and some other brands. Their stuff is made in China. I use it and don't worry about it.

It's really impossible to say how safe anything is coming from somewhere else, but the reality is a lot of cast iron is now made in China or India so you don't have many options if you don't want cookware from there.

Lodge Manufacturing is the only foundry still casting iron cookware in the USA, and they are considered by many to produce the best quality currently being made. Their enameled CI is, however, made in China.
www.lodgemfg.com

#28 ·
I have some lodge enamel and I'm not too impressed by it. I'm not sure how but I manage to scratch every piece of cookware I have, the lodge included. It's all scratchy at the bottom. :( I will have to look into buying some lodge cookware.

I meant to go get some of this stuff in Gilroy but as it turned out my desire for the cookware could not overcome my dread of the half our drive. I'm still pleased as punch that I learned there's a store in Gilroy though. I love that store.

Thanks Russ!

#29 ·
Enamel and aluminum cookware should not be used with metal utensils, only plastic or wood. Metal will scratch them.

Non-enamel cast iron seasoning can also be scratched, but the seasoning can be repaired by simply adding more seasoning, which is desirable anyway.

#30 ·
I don't actually use anything but plastic and wood, so I don't really know how I managed to scratch them.

#33 ·
Nishu, I need to know how not to scratch my enameled pots, too, because I chipped mine, too, and they couldn't be saved. I've got a big enameled stockpot on my Christmas list, so I hope I can treat my next one better. IF Santa brings me one. :)

My plain Lodge cast iron, however, is holding up well. Although after the incident with the Cracker Barrel pan splitting in two, I always treat the others with a great more deal of care than in years past. I also have a new glass flattop stove that isn't supposed to use non-enameled cast iron, but I do, just gently. Silly stove. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.