Frugal Village Forums banner

Cooking bacon in a cast iron skillet... utter failure so far

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  FTG-05 
#1 ·
I've got a bunch of cast iron, and it's great for steak, stew, sauce, soup, etc...

One thing that has always defeated me is bacon.

In a $5.00 walmart aluminum griddle I can cook bacon like a pro, but the cast iron (a 12" lodge skillet) has too much of a hot spot in the middle of the pan. The bacon burns in the middle before the edges cook despite frequent flipping and nudging.

Any advice?

#2 ·
I cook bacon in that same cast iron skillet. Tips I can offer are ensure your skillet is hot before laying the bacon in; cook slowly so it doesn't curl up so badly; and use a bacon press. My bacon press is cast iron, as well, and flattens the bacon as it cooks. Good luck!

Reactions: mauimagic
#3 ·
I started in essence deep frying our bacon in my cast iron. I toss in some bacon grease from the fridge and heat up the skillet. I then put in about four pieces of bacon. I scooch them around the pan because my burner has a hot spot. They come out some where between crispy and soft.

#4 ·
I warm up the pan, and if there isn't grease in it from last time add just a smudge of vegetable oil. I start my bacon on 6 and when it starts to sizzle turn the stove down to 4 or 5. Cook the bacon slowly, without moving it. If the pan is spitting hot grease at you the heat is too high.

When it is starting to brown on one side I flip it over and arrange the slices, putting the rawer pieces in the center and moving the more cooked ones to the outside. Continue to cook it on low heat without messing with it.

When the pieces in the center are looking done, prepare a plate with a paper towel and move fully cooked slices out of the pan as they finish up. Rearrange remaining pieces as needed.

Simply put, you want to cook it on lower heat to render out the fat and make it crispy. Not all the pieces will cook at the same rate or finish at the same time. Use the hot spot to your advantage.

Also consider using a thick cut bacon, which is slower to cook.

Reactions: Libby and Incognito
#7 ·
I use the same exact pan, actually we have three of them!

First, as stated above, heat the pan before putting the bacon. Add a little grease and/oil before adding the bacon; we use olive oil.

After adding the bacon, go down one level on the heat, this will help even out the hot spot a little.

If it's still sticking, you might consider using a flap wheel to smooth out the bottom of the cooking surface, the new Lodge's are notoriously rough castings! This will require starting all over on the seasoning process.

Keep cooking bacon, you'll get there!

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.