Frugal Village Forums banner

Buying Vintage Cast Iron. Is it safe?

7K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Spirit Deer 
#1 ·
Ive seen some awesome shiny Griswold skillets on ebay. All of them have some form of little pits or divots in them. IS it safe to use still if there are a few tiny little chips? Am i being paranoid? Does it matter if cast iron is chipped? Im talking like those little holes you can see in the finish.

#3 ·
Is it safe? Except if you're in danger of iron overload, cast iron pans are safe. However, I would seriously suspect an investment in any cast iron pan that might have been damaged through rough handling - simply because cast iron pans do crack. Yes, they can break catastrophically.

As to the "finish" that is a patina that you're going to build up on the pan yourself through use and occasional "seasoning".

#4 ·
I wouldn't buy cast iron that had a lot of pits. I've never seen any with chips, except for enameled cast iron.

As for buying vintage cast iron, most of what I use at home came to me looking like this:

And now looks like this:

So you can see I don't have any fear about buying vintage iron. :)

#5 ·
Cast iron went through a period "back in the 70's" that it fell out of favor........due to a link they thought was having a casual factor for Alzheimer's......and think there is still some debate about it today.............plus other kitchenware came on the market. Iron overload is not good for the body..........doesn't matter where it comes from..........since they don't know--for sure--- what causes Alz.-- it has grown in popularity again. (the same thing happened with 'aluminum cookware' a few years later........)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cast-iron_cookware

Alzheimer's disease: What you eat influences your risk factor - CBS News in this article, the guy is "selling his book"..........but there are lots of articles out there about it....................and the debate goes on...........

If you are "uncomfortable" in using it.............don't buy it..........pretty simple.

#9 ·
I always use electrolysis for de-rusting cast iron. The Pie Irons I pictured above were cleaned up with that method. It couldn't be easier. I've never seen anything take more than a couple days though. He left out of the video to wash the piece between the electrolysis bath and applying the new seasoning, but maybe it's so obviously anyone should know that. Electrolysis rust reduction is self-limiting which is nice, because it won't hurt anything if the piece is left in there a day or two longer.

I liked his method for seasoning, using a one-burner stove outside and applying multiple coats in a short time. I'm going to have to try that.

I have some frying pans that have thin sidewalls but heavy bottoms. I have to disagree that you should only look for the ones that are heavy throughout. Sometimes it's nice to use the thinner-walled ones because they're lighter. They will also heat faster. Most of the heat during stovetop cooking is on the bottom of the pan, so thinner sidewalls don't make much difference in the cooking.

I just got a new Lodge grill pan yesterday. New cast iron toys are such fun. :)

#11 ·
Our local waste transfer station lets us salvage anything we want from their scrap metal pile for free. I've never seen any cast iron cookware there, but we've found other things. The best thing we found out there was the cast iron base from an antique sewing machine. Amazing! I dragged it home and made a table from it using an antique oak table top we weren't using. We just love it. The sewing machine base was in perfect condition, but even if it wasn't, I would have refurbished it. Quite a find. I still can't believe we were there at just the right time. It almost makes me think it was meant to be mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.