Frugal Village Forums banner

cast iron condition

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  MaxBetta 
#1 ·
i've been browsing the antique malls for a skillet. I came across one w/ a good interior, but the exterior wasn't smooth. Uneven surface, rough looking. Hopefully you can see by the pic attached if it's a good pan to use or should I pass on it. I don't know if it makes a difference what the exterior looks like vs the interior.

thx

Automotive tire Wood Tread Helmet Synthetic rubber

See less See more
#2 ·
It looks fine to me. Looks like it has a lot of years of use and "seasoning" built up and some patches where some has come off. Shouldn't affect it at all. What you do not want to see is rust. I'd buy it. If it bothers you, you can get a power tool and buff it or sand it back to raw metal.

#3 ·
It's a Griswald. Buy it! They're vintage and highly collectible.

If you like, you can run it through the self-clean cycle in your oven and that will burn off the old seasoning. You would need to re-season it immediately.

I don't worry about rust unless the metal is flaking off. Rust is easy to remove using electrolysis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.