Frugal Village Forums banner

cleaning an old cast iron stove top grill

14K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Alice Chalmers 
#1 ·
I have this old stove top grill that was given to me. It is cast iron and looks to need some cleaning. How do I clean this properly and season it so that I can use it again? Thanks!

#2 ·
Lets see now......I use cast iron skillets so this is what I would do.

put on stove, (med-med high heat)
put enough water in to cover the need to clean area let the water come to a boil, turn off the heat and let this soak for a few hours take to sink and use an old toothbrush to get between the grooves and clean it.....when its clean rinse and put back on stove top put the heat on med. to dry the pan......then put a small drop of oil, (I use olive) and with a piece of papertowel wipe the oil around the pan to coat, remove any excess oil and turn off the heat.....after this you should be ready to go.

They say you aren't supposed to use soapy water to clean cast iron but I do if it needs it, once your pan has been used and seasoned it should be relatively easy to clean from then on.

leezza : )

#3 ·
#4 ·
We do not wash ours in water at all. We heat it up on the stove, pour a small amount of canola oil (vegetable oil, etc, would work), and then sprinkle kosher salt on it. Then, just use paper towels and elbow grease. The salt acts as an abrasive, the oil helps to reseason the pan. And, because you don't use water, the cast iron won't rust.

#5 ·
Yep, i got cast iron

Yep i say attack it with some steel wool and liquid canola oil to remove all the rust. then go ahead and wash it one time hot water to get rid of all the powder from the rust, then hand towel dry , then totally coat with crisco or lard. or canola oil, put in oven and bake it for 2 hours at 250. then let it cool and recoat it one more time. THEn if you have room I just leave mind in the oven. (my main frying pan). but next time you use it. coat with fresh oil, then use a papertowel to wipe out any food residue, and then most say recoat and store. Some items are not really supposed to be cooked in the pan and will eat thru your protective layer of seasoning. andyou may have to redo the oil bake process.

#6 ·
olive oil

If you use the olive oil make sure it isnt the extra virgin. I think it might burn up and smoke really bad if you were to bake some cornbread or something of that nature.

#8 ·
I have a cast iron grill/griddle. (Like the one Rachel Ray uses on 30 minute meals.) I bought mine new, but it gets pretty grubby after a while. I use soap on it when it needs a good scrubbing and I scrub it with a really stiff bristle brush. First, I balance it over my sink and put some water on it and let it soak for a bit. Then rinse it off and scrub it good. Afterwards I dry it by heating on the stove and then rub it with some olive oil and put it in the oven until I need it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.