Frugal Village Forums banner

What exactly is a dutch oven?

Tags
dutch oven
10K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  Spirit Deer 
#1 ·
We were watching paula Dean yesterday, and she was talking about a dutch oven. What she showed, to me, wasn't a dutch oven..lol.. Not according to out manufacturers anyway.

What is it?

#2 ·
oh, oh, oh... I know!

It's a big thick, heavy pan... I call it a cauldron because thats what it is really... a cauldron with a lid... You use to hang the Dutch Oven on the fireplace rack and swing it over the fire to cook. People use them for camping, some use them at home. I would -love- to have mine back... I lent it to a friend one Yule and never got it back *sigh*

Here is a bunch of recipes for the Dutch Oven -- link

#3 ·
The first real dutch ovens had legs I think. You could sit them on the fire and put hot coals on the lid to help you cook. I think nowadays any big pot heavy pot with a tight fitting lid is called a dutch oven.
My 2 big cast iron pots, with flat bottoms are what I use. Here's is a pic.http://www.jeffsrecipes.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/dutch_oven.jpg

#4 ·
I call mine a stock pot, even though it is really a dutch oven. It is large pot that is really heavy on the bottom (mine is copper bottomed), whereas the stock pot is the same thickness all the way through...I think.

I love my dutch oven becuase I can also use it to fry meat at the bottom for chili or stew, then throw everything else in and simmer. I don't have to use 2 pans, like if I use my stock pot...I have to pre-cook the meat in a fry pan first! Then I have to wash 2 pans!

#7 ·
I have one similar to yours, but Le Creuset. (enamal over cast iron) I consider it a dutch oven. When I bought it, in the description it was called a French oven. lol

#9 ·
how pretty, vroom vroom.

#17 ·
I got a Dutch oven for Christmas from my husband, for camping. I don't really know what to do with it but we'll figure it out I guess.

I also got one of those enamel covered cast iron skillets and LOVE IT. So I was thrilled to see Aldi had them on sale this week, I'm going to go tonight and pick up another one.

#11 ·
Please, please forgive me for this one.

In Pennsylvania, a dutch oven happens when you are in bed with somebody, under the blankets. Essentially, one person passes gas, and then pulls the blankets up over the other person's head to give them the 'full effect'.

I'm sure the other kind is much better to have around the house though. :D

Amy

#15 ·
I just got a new one at Target for $39.00. My other seems to have been lost in the move. It's also great for doing two process cooking - browning on top of the stove such as searing a roast and then thrown in your veggies, some water and roast in the oven. You can make no-knead bread in them. Very versatile cooking item.

#16 ·
I have an old cast iron dutch oven that was my mothers that I use all the time. It's great for stews, soups and chili. I use it for cooking beans of any sorts. I also use it for frying chicken and fish. I don't think I could cook without my cast iron skillets and dutch oven.

Dixie Jean

#18 ·
I have 2 that I got at garage sales
for $1.00 a piece.
I use them on the woodstove for soups and stews and spaghetti sauce and simmer all day

#19 ·
A true Dutch oven has three little feet and a lid with a rim so you can pile the coals from your campfire onto the lid for the food to cook surrounded by heat, like in an oven.

My "Dutch oven" is more properly called a chicken fryer - nice deep pot with a wire bail handle attached, and the cast iron lid has pointy things sticking downward for condensation to baste the food as it bakes. It also has a class lid for when it's in "chicken fryer" mode, presumably.

Weighs a ton. I use it stovetop for soups and stews (sans tomatoes) and also in the oven. I feel like pioneer woman when I haul it down from its storage place and set it on the stove, lol.

#20 ·
Well, there are two kinds of dutch ovens.

There's the original ones, with 3 legs and a flat lid, meant for using outdoors on coals, also known as "camp ovens". Coals are put on top of the lid for baking.

And there's the ones that look like regular pots that are used indoors, on the stovetop or in the oven.

If you ever see a "cast iron covered casserole dish", that's just a fancy name for dutch oven.

Now, the pots suitable for indoor use, if they are in traditional cast iron, they can be used outdoors. Since they don't have legs, you can't put them over coals, but you can use them on a propane burner or barbecue grill. If they have a wire handle you can hang them over a fire, but not if they have the side loop handles.

Enameled cast iron should NOT be used outdoors.

It's not really a "stock pot" although you can certainly make stock in it. Traditionally stock pots are thinner, taller, more slender.

In other words, a dutch oven can be used as a stock pot, but a stock pot can't necessarily be used as a dutch oven.

Oh, and anything you can cook in a crock pot, you can cook in a dutch oven on low heat.

#22 ·
I know this is an antique thread, but since it's been revived, I'll play.

I think greenturtle gave the best answer. The main thing I disagree with is the idea you can't use a legless DO (Dutch oven) over coals. I started out with this DO converted from a vintage aluminum DO meant for inside use.

As you can see, I did some modifications to it to use it as a camp oven. It worked flawlessly. I actually had two of them, but since I acquired a good collection of cast iron and aluminum camp ovens later, I sold them both. It hurt though. I loved using the weird-looking things. I do have one of these, a #10 cast aluminum DO made by one of my favorite companies, GSI Outdoors:

It lives in my camper and works great for a multi-purpose kettle that works on the stove or over coals. I use a rack like the one pictured above when it needs legs over coals. I love how that has worked out because the rack is the perfect size to be turned upside down and clip itself to the bottom of the pot for storage. The lid has a rim so I don't have to add one.

I've also used a Lodge Combo Cooker as a Dutch oven. Technically it's not one, but if I could only have one cooking pot in my camper, it would be a Combo Cooker because of that set's versatility. It's basically two frying pans that can be used together to make its own lid. Very nice, and not that expensive. I used some kind of small wire stand I picked up at a garage sale as legs for that. It's not really levitating. :D

Lots of things can be used to make legs for legless DOs. Some people use crushed aluminum cans. For my smallest DOs, I use candle holders. They have legs, but they're not long enough to clear the lid handles on the pot below if they need to be stacked, so I just have booster seats for them. :)

I even have a custom made lid stand someone I've never even met made for me as a thank you for helping him learn to use a DO. We were both on a camping forum and I did spend a lot of time helping him, but never expected a gift for it. The lid stand can be used to set the hot lid on while tending to food, which is how I use it with my legless aluminum DO in the camper, or as legs under a pot. Lodge and other companies make lid stands that can be used for legs. Here's the Lodge version.

Dutch oven cooking is a fun, different way to cook. It's easy to learn and a handy skill for preparedness or for camping or even for cooking outside the house in hot weather, so you don't heat up your kitchen. Here are instructions for cooking with DOs using the ring method, which is much simpler than counting coals.
Outdoor Cooking with Dutch Ovens - Lone Star Dutch Oven Society

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.